Training Camp

candyman93

15 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Pretending time.

Who would you rather have as a mentor in life, Hue Jackson or Greg Williams?

Williams, he isn't going to sugarcoat a thing just like life, no one is going to rub you on the back and tell you everything is ok. Williams will get butter from a duck and have zero problems being the bad guy to get it if its for your betterment.

Life is either crap or get off the pot. 

26 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I wasn't trying to imply that his numbers would go that high playing at the same rate as last year. It would be more like 15 TD and 5 INT. Defenses always knew he had a weak arm. In the Raven game he was 11-18 for 91 yards and a TD in a half or maybe a half and 1 series. Not great numbers for sure and McCown always played well against the Ravens IIRC but in hindsight it was the wrong move because McCown had 2 3 and outs and 3 turnovers in his 5 series (IIRC) and a 7-6 halftime lead turned into a 28-7 blowout.

Kessler appeared to be an ideal backup who can keep you in games. Until we have another QB who shows they can do more than that give me the guy who can keep us in games over a bigger arm who takes us out of games. If Brock or Kizer play better in the preseason I'm all for them winning the job. I'm just not confident Kizer is ready to play that well and don't believe Brock has it in him.

In hindsite of course we should have kept him in!:P

For anyone speculating whether Kizer starts anytime soon,  read the stats and weep.

For the scrimmage: 

Scrimmage totals: Kessler 4-6, 33 yds, 2 sacks, Kizer 7-14, 46, Osweiler 10-16, 94, 1 sack, 2 FG drives, Hogan 5-5, 71, 3 sacks, 1 FG drive

Through camp day 7 here is what the numbers looked like:

Through 7 days of camp here are your #Browns unofficial QB numbers: Kessler 42/66 64%, Osweiler 41/75 55%, Kizer 34/66 52%, Hogan 12/21 57%.

I could be wrong but for the life of me I can't imagine Kizer or Ostweiler starting with their completion percentages with an HC who places a premium on accuracy.

Hell, after his 5-5 in the scrimmage, Hogan is leading the pack at 65%+!

37 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Williams.

Jackson is way too politically correct for my liking.

Jackson has too be tho. With the Browns not really having a truly franchise type player, he is the franchise figure head.

Which is a good thing because Williams prolly will never be a HC again. So if things are successful hear we shouldnt have to worry about him leaving!

6 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

In hindsite of course we should have kept him in!:P

Yeah total hindsight, but in hindsight which we can use after the fact (I'm Monday morning QBing it here) it was the wrong move. I mentioned how I could have seen why he made the move but I'm still able to critique him since it failed.

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

I could be wrong but for the life of me I can't imagine Kizer or Ostweiler starting with their completion percentages with an HC who places a premium on accuracy.

Hell, after his 5-5 in the scrimmage, Hogan is leading the pack at 65%+!

Kessler should have the highest completion percentage of all of the quarterbacks on the roster, that is his strength. Technically I'm not sure completion percentage matters to Hue, if he wants to stretch the field and that means a lower completion percentage. YPA may be a better indicator. Kesler was a respectable 7.1 last year and his air yards were middle of the packish which makes his high completion percentage a little more impressive but he isn't ever going to be a real vertical offense QB because of his limitations, he will be able to take advantage when it's there but he isn't throwing guys open down the field.

I think that is the hope for Kizer. Brock has the ability but hasn't been nearly accurate enough throwing the deep routes to take seriously. Brock averaged 5.8 (bad) per attempt last year after a decent 7.2 his final year in Denver. His air yards were pretty low both years considering the arm strength and the perception of what he is.

Hogan will be cut, I still love him because he is me on a grander scale but I don't know if there is anything he could do to make the team minus us losing one of the other guys.

Using stats for a qb competition is kinda dumb as the variables differ so much. Who's playing with the first team WR's? OL? What players are they playing against on defense?  

Stats are great and all, but you kinda have to watch them play and see what they look like to get a accurate assessment.

26 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I know Cutler throws interceptions like crazy, but I like him more than Tannehill.

Smart decision by Miami.

I don't think there is much of a difference overall. They do have different styles which may be good or bad for the Dolphins. I don't expect a winning season from them with Cutler, I think the change will cost them a couple games.

They should have tried to coax Romo out of retirement. Much better than either option though I doubt he would have given up his desk job for the Dolphins.

Archived