Training Camp

candyman93

25 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Cutler is going to Miami unfortunately 

were stuck with the Brocketship

I loved the trade for us, but nobody is going to trade for the Osweiler contract when they have to give something away. Miami is not the greatest in terms of cap space either & is not going to want his contract looming after this season.

We were in a perfectly unique situation to be able to take on the Osweiler contract. I loved the move, but would be angry if I were a Dolphin fan and we had to GIVE something away to acquire him.

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Watched the scrimmage today. Yeah I quit work early. Defense is ahead of the offense as per usual. Kizer was mediocre. Missed a few big throws. Dayes looked good. Garrett is a man. Schobert will get MLB. Kessler will not be the opening starter. Osweiler was the best QB. Sorry guys he looks like he will be the starter. Default. 

Brought to you by the premature early hot takes of Cleveland. 

He may. I'll wait til preseason. I don't doubt that Osweiler has the ability but come game time he just hasn't shown it. Kessler doesn't have great ability but he kept a 1-15 team in every game but the Cowboy game I believe. There is definitely a difference between a practice/scrimmage and a game. I never shined in practice, probably didn't even look like I should be on any team whether it was baseball, football or basketball but come game time I looked a lot better. Even as an old man we went through a few quarterbacks on my flag football team and I informed the coach that I had played some but I never showed enough for real consideration. I was put in at QB in a blowout game the final game of the season and was told afterwards that I would be the starting QB this year. Same with basketball and baseball, at anything less than 100% I'm just not that good.

I just wanted to make a post about me. How I can go from mediocre to adequate when the whistle blows. :D

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Pretending time.

Who would you rather have as a mentor in life, Hue Jackson or Greg Williams?

I've always hated playing for coaches who feel the need to yell and scream constantly.  I'm not a 6 year old, yelling at me doesn't make me want to work harder, it makes me want to tell you to eff off.

I preferred coaches who'd just speak to me like a normal person.

I'd go with Hue.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I loved the trade for us, but nobody is going to trade for the Osweiler contract when they have to give something away. Miami is not the greatest in terms of cap space either & is not going to want his contract looming after this season.

We were in a perfectly unique situation to be able to take on the Osweiler contract. I loved the move, but would be angry if I were a Dolphin fan and we had to GIVE something away to acquire him.

We can eat the majority of the cap hit by converting his salary to a bonus to facilitate a trade.

For example Miami agrees to trade us a 5th rounder in exchange for Osweiler provided we pay 14 of the 16 million he's owed.  We convert that 14 million to a bonus and make the deal.  

In that case we'd have essentially paid 14 million for a 2 and a 5 and the Fins would get Osweiler for 2 million this season.

11 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

He may. I'll wait til preseason. I don't doubt that Osweiler has the ability but come game time he just hasn't shown it. Kessler doesn't have great ability but he kept a 1-15 team in every game but the Cowboy game I believe. There is definitely a difference between a practice/scrimmage and a game. I never shined in practice, probably didn't even look like I should be on any team whether it was baseball, football or basketball but come game time I looked a lot better. Even as an old man we went through a few quarterbacks on my flag football team and I informed the coach that I had played some but I never showed enough for real consideration. I was put in at QB in a blowout game the final game of the season and was told afterwards that I would be the starting QB this year. Same with basketball and baseball, at anything less than 100% I'm just not that good.

I just wanted to make a post about me. How I can go from mediocre to adequate when the whistle blows. :D

Haha your manlove with Kessler!xD

And thanks for clarifying you were talking about yourself.  I thought for a moment you ere talking about uncle Rico.

Napoleon-Dynamite-Uncle-Rico.gif

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

On a side note, Hue comes off as such a smart and humble dude at all times in his interviews. Every time I listen to him I just wonder how in the hell he wasn't a head coach a long time ago.

I really think we're lucky to have him fellas.

Yep I think we finally have our coach.  Haven't felt this strongly about keeping a coach since Butch Davis.  (should of stripped him of GM duties and just made him coach)

8 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Haha your manlove with Kessler!xD

I'm not even convinced he is a starter in the league but a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio and nearly 66% completion percentage as a rookie with a less than great situation has me intrigued. I did not like the draft pick and his arm is lackluster but if he keeps it up with a better line and more volume I would be happy with 24 TD and 8 interceptions from a Browns QB.

5 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yep I think we finally have our coach.  Haven't felt this strongly about keeping a coach since Butch Davis.  (should of stripped him of GM duties and just made him coach)

He seemed better than Pettine with clock management and game situations but I didn't see anything exceptional from him. He certainly didn't make lemonade last year. He didn't have much to work with so I wouldn't condemn him or anything but I didn't see anything on the field that deserved praise. I'm hoping that comes this year.

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

He seemed better than Pettine with clock management and game situations but I didn't see anything exceptional from him. He certainly didn't make lemonade last year. He didn't have much to work with so I wouldn't condemn him or anything but I didn't see anything on the field that deserved praise. I'm hoping that comes this year.

He had a lot of mistakes with clock management last year. But pettine set an incredibly low bar. 

7 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He had a lot of mistakes with clock management last year. But pettine set an incredibly low bar. 

Yeah it was an improvement over Pettine and certainly better than Romeo. He still has work to do though, I didn't like the criticism of the QB at halftime when he played really well either, seems counterproductive. Pulling Kessler in a close game that ended up a blowout solely because of that move was another mistake. I think he needs to do more to adapt to the players he has than trying to have them do things they aren't particularly good at also. Once the team is built how he likes it he can go with his prefered style but until then get the most out of what you have.

25 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He still has work to do though, I didn't like the criticism of the QB at halftime when he played really well either, seems counterproductive. Pulling Kessler in a close game that ended up a blowout solely because of that move was another mistake. I think he needs to do more to adapt to the players he has than trying to have them do things they aren't particularly good at also. Once the team is built how he likes it he can go with his prefered style but until then get the most out of what you have.

I actually disagree with this.  Outside of the one touchdown drive  Kessler was largely ineffective.  I personally would have done the same thing.  We definitely needed a spark that game.

Also to your post earlier, if you projected more volume to Kessler's stats I don't think they would be that good.  Defenses have caught up to his weak arm.  Also he had 6 TDs in 9 games.  Projected over a whole season that's a grand total of 10.  Admittedly projecting stats is an exercise in the nonsensical.  Too many unforeseeable obstacles.

Whats funny about this is we are actually on the same page with him being a decent back up. :P

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

I actually disagree with this.  Outside of the one touchdown drive  Kessler was largely ineffective.  I personally would have done the same thing.  We definitely needed a spark that game.

Also to your post earlier, if you projected more volume to Kessler's stats I don't think they would be that good.  Defenses have caught up to his weak arm.  Also he had 6 TDs in 9 games.  Projected over a whole season that's a grand total of 10.  Admittedly projecting stats is an exercise in the nonsensical.  Too many unforeseeable obstacles.

Whats funny about this is we are actually on the same page with him being a decent back up. :P

Yeah I wasn't trying to imply that his numbers would go that high playing at the same rate as last year. It would be more like 15 TD and 5 INT. Defenses always knew he had a weak arm. In the Raven game he was 11-18 for 91 yards and a TD in a half or maybe a half and 1 series. Not great numbers for sure and McCown always played well against the Ravens IIRC but in hindsight it was the wrong move because McCown had 2 3 and outs and 3 turnovers in his 5 series (IIRC) and a 7-6 halftime lead turned into a 28-7 blowout.

Kessler appeared to be an ideal backup who can keep you in games. Until we have another QB who shows they can do more than that give me the guy who can keep us in games over a bigger arm who takes us out of games. If Brock or Kizer play better in the preseason I'm all for them winning the job. I'm just not confident Kizer is ready to play that well and don't believe Brock has it in him.

Archived