Bears Hiring Matt Nagy

The Gnat

4 hours ago, Iron_man said:

This hiring feels like what happened with Brad "Chilly" Childress and the vikings. During his time in Philly, he didn't call the plays. That was all Andy. Though who knows, it might not go in that direction.

Nagy called the plays at the end of this season.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:34 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

They are getting ready to make Vic Fangio the highest paid dc in the nfl (hes already #2)  thats another nail in the coffin of your tired narrative.

Anybody trying to equate what the Bears are doing here with any thing that has happened in the past isnt paying much attention.  3 years ago the Bears tapped one of the brightest young executives, who was in high demand and extremely well thought of and made him the youngest gm in the nfl.  They backed that up by doing something they had never done in the history of the franchise.  They hired an experienced hc.  They empowered the gm to trade up and draft the first qb taken in the draft and oh by the way the highest drafted qb in the history of the franchise.  Now they have hired one of the 2 hot young offensive coaches as their hc.  And oh by the way they are spending billions of dollars to expand and renovate Halas Hall into a state of the art football operations center.  One thing is for certain they are going for it.  They are swinging for the fences.  It may or may not work but they are 100% trying to win the superbowl and spending the money to do so.  But please tell me more about how cheap they are

The Bears should build a sweet dome next!

It'll never happen, I know. Just playing along haha!

6 hours ago, Iron_man said:

This hiring feels like what happened with Brad "Chilly" Childress and the vikings. During his time in Philly, he didn't call the plays. That was all Andy. Though who knows, it might not go in that direction.

Except Nagy did call plays for the Chiefs under Reid this season and when he did the offense was noticeably better averaging about 30 pts and 400 yds per game in a short 4 game sample size.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The Bears should build a sweet dome next!

It'll never happen, I know. Just playing along haha!

Ik its a joke and i agree it would never happen, but those are the type of moves this new look Bears front office is making in moving the franchise into the present. If nothing else, Pace has accomplished that.  So who knows maybe in a few years the bears may build a luxury stadium in the suburbs that they own and not the cpd.  First step is convincing Ted Philips to change soldier field to turf.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 7:03 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

What is your definition of resume bc you clearly are talking out your ***.  I cant find any official #s on the dc stuff.  But according to Hub Arkush he was already 2nd highest paid coordinator in the NFL.   Ian Rappaport said there is still details to work out but hes staying as evidenced by the fact the Packers hired Pettine w/out having ever interviewed their top choice. Cmon man.  I did find out one of the reasons that Foxs contract was what it was is both of his coordinators were on the upper tier of coordinator salaries.  

Now the resume arguement.  What do you qualify as a resume? Ill give you Nagys is light.  Trestman had an extensive nfl resume. He had been everywhere.  He also had multiple cfl championships.  Lovie had a history working under Tony Dungy, and was coming off a job where he had taken the worst defense in the nfl and made it a perrennial top 5 unit. But im curious what is acceptable for a coach hire for you.  Apparently you dont think you can hire the hot coordinator without being cheap.  You cant hire an experienced coach without being cheap.  So what is acceptable to you sir?

It doesn't matter what MY definition of a resume is. Nor does it matter what is or what isn't acceptable to me. This isn't about me.

However, I will say this (and I'll leave it at this here because it's off-subject) to ME personally, it's not about the lack of experience when choosing an GM, HC, asst' or anyone else in any other first-timer in a prominent position. I don't care if a coach has the lack of inexperience. JUST as long as that lack of experience is backed by a strong coaching tree IN THE NFL. His predecessors, who he sat and learned behind carries more weight to me than experience does, and even that has it's limitations, which I won't go into further here in this thread.

Again, It's not about me. It's about the Bears FO(Phillips, George/McCaksey's) who continually use the dollar sign as a top priority in mind when it comes to filling staff positions instead of actually trying to put together a better team for the future. 

I could seriously imagine the meeting and how it all starts:

"hmmm....that guy has experience so scratch him off...he'll ask for too much money. Same with that guy. Let's see, who has the least experience so that we gain immediate leverage in contract talks but is also gaining the most attention right now? Yup, there's our target's, right there! We'll start with them. If they don't bite, then we'll look at retreads to use as just place holder's until the line comes in.

They use the lack of experience to their own advantage during contract arraignments to save a few dollars when it comes to filling those staff positions and that's why -FOR DECADES- we have always had inexperienced GM's and HC's or retread's who are on there last leg  like Fox, Martz, Marinelli, Tice, etc, etc. It looks good on paper though! "It'll get the fans and players excited - that's good for morale!!!!" 

This has been going on for YEARS...decades even. Real question here, for all of you pro-Bears FO members. Be honest, have you EVER really considered this at all and REALLY paid attention to it for a long enough period or are you just following what the media has told you and you're just following suit? And I mean truly paying attention to it! Well I have for decades and the proof is right there. This is not just my own opinion....it's facts. The facts are right there in front of you and have been for very long time. 

On 1/10/2018 at 7:03 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

Trestman had an extensive nfl resume. He had been everywhere.  He also had multiple cfl championships.  Lovie had a history working under Tony Dungy, and was coming off a job where he had taken the worst defense in the nfl and made it a perrennial top 5 unit.

I don't care what he did in the CFL. The CFL has no bearing on the NFL whatsoever. Trestman's resume was not that great to begin with and had been out of the league since before the division alignment in '02. That's not much of a resume at all.

The Lovie argument, I had no problem with because of his history. However, he was still never an HC before the brass hired him and therefore they got away with being cheap and for once it worked for them. I can't say the same for the other dozen plus in the last 2+ decades.

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

It doesn't matter what MY definition of a resume is. Nor does it matter what is or what isn't acceptable to me. This isn't about me.

However, I will say this (and I'll leave it at this here because it's off-subject) to ME personally, it's not about the lack of experience when choosing an GM, HC, asst' or anyone else in any other first-timer in a prominent position. I don't care if a coach has the lack of inexperience. JUST as long as that lack of experience is backed by a strong coaching tree IN THE NFL. His predecessors, who he sat and learned behind carries more weight to me than experience does, and even that has it's limitations, which I won't go into further here in this thread.

Again, It's not about me. It's about the Bears FO(Phillips, George/McCaksey's) who continually use the dollar sign as a top priority in mind when it comes to filling staff positions instead of actually trying to put together a better team for the future. 

I could seriously imagine the meeting and how it all starts:

"hmmm....that guy has experience so scratch him off...he'll ask for too much money. Same with that guy. Let's see, who has the least experience so that we gain immediate leverage in contract talks but is also gaining the most attention right now? Yup, there's our target's, right there! We'll start with them. If they don't bite, then we'll look at retreads to use as just place holder's until the line comes in.

They use the lack of experience to their own advantage during contract arraignments to save a few dollars when it comes to filling those staff positions and that's why -FOR DECADES- we have always had inexperienced GM's and HC's or retread's who are on there last leg  like Fox, Martz, Marinelli, Tice, etc, etc. It looks good on paper though! "It'll get the fans and players excited - that's good for morale!!!!" 

This has been going on for YEARS...decades even. Real question here, for all of you pro-Bears FO members. Be honest, have you EVER really considered this at all and REALLY paid attention to it for a long enough period or are you just following what the media has told you and you're just following suit? And I mean truly paying attention to it! Well I have for decades and the proof is right there. This is not just my own opinion....it's facts. The facts are right there in front of you and have been for very long time. 

I don't care what he did in the CFL. The CFL has no bearing on the NFL whatsoever. Trestman's resume was not that great to begin with and had been out of the league since before the division alignment in '02. That's not much of a resume at all.

The Lovie argument, I had no problem with because of his history. However, he was still never an HC before the brass hired him and therefore they got away with being cheap and for once it worked for them. I can't say the same for the other dozen plus in the last 2+ decades.

So again there is nothing the fo can do to appease you.  You brought up Martz, Marinelli, and Tice.  All 3 with HC experience, all 3 well compensated.  For Petes sake Marinelli has long been considered the best dl coach in football (which is what he was originally hired for and Lovie had to convince him to take the DC job).  Its just unreal, you attached yourself to a narrative and you are unwilling to listen to any contridictory evidence or the things that your own eyes tell you.  You have convinced yourself that the Bears are as cheap today as they were under Halas which hasnt been the case for the last 15 years, and there is nothing that anybody, including the Bears can do to convince you otherwise. And oh, the guy with the least experience was John Defelippo.  The only experienced HC anybody has hired this year is Jon Gruden.  He was never in play for the Bears.

• Like 1

So again there is nothing the fo can do to appease you. 

What the hell are you talking about? Appease me? Did you not read my post at all before quoting me? Literally the first thing I said in the very first sentence........

".It doesn't matter what MY definition of a resume is. Nor does it matter what is or what isn't acceptable to me. This isn't about me."

10 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Its just unreal, you attached yourself to a narrative and you are unwilling to listen to any contridictory evidence or the things that your own eyes tell you.

Where is this evidence that I'm not listening too? I haven't seen any. In fact, that's been a big part of my argument during all of this because you guys keep claiming that it's not true "the Bears are not cheap" but NONE of you have provided ANY evidence to this claim whatsoever. I have asked for it several times and have yet to get an answer. All I have seen is blanketed statements and false information that's been debunked time and time again.

Meanwhile, I'm the ONLY ONE who has actually provided facts that back up my statements. Again, like I said before, this is not just my opinion. It's been going on for decades and I really don't think any of you have paid close enough attention to this aspect at all for a long period like I have and your just following suit. Otherwise you would be able to back it up and prove me wrong, but you can't because all of the evidence points in the other direction. Kind of like Helfrich....

Your own quote above fits you a hell of alot more than it does me pal. But I'm done here because clearly you are never going to be able to provide any proof to anything that your saying. I just hope that from now that you will actually pay close attention to this with an open-mind and maybe 10 years from now you'll actually look back at this and be able to see what's really going on. 

14 hours ago, topwop1 said:

@JustAnotherFan  Who are you anyway, a Bears fan or just someone who likes to chirp the Bears franchise for no reason other than appeasing your own insecurities?

We get that you think the Bears franchise is cheap and dysfunctional.  You can stop now and focus on the actual topic.

Who are you to come into a thread out of nowhere, where two people are having a discussion and tell me to stop? This is footballsfuture.com, not topwop1.com.
If you have something to add....add it. Otherwise move on. You don't like what I have to say, don't read it. That's the great thing about the internet - you have that choice.

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

What the hell are you talking about? Appease me? Did you not read my post at all before quoting me? Literally the first thing I said in the very first sentence........

".It doesn't matter what MY definition of a resume is. Nor does it matter what is or what isn't acceptable to me. This isn't about me."

Where is this evidence that I'm not listening too? I haven't seen any. In fact, that's been a big part of my argument during all of this because you guys keep claiming that it's not true "the Bears are not cheap" but NONE of you have provided ANY evidence to this claim whatsoever. I have asked for it several times and have yet to get an answer. All I have seen is blanketed statements and false information that's been debunked time and time again.

Meanwhile, I'm the ONLY ONE who has actually provided facts that back up my statements. Again, like I said before, this is not just my opinion. It's been going on for decades and I really don't think any of you have paid close enough attention to this aspect at all for a long period like I have and your just following suit. Otherwise you would be able to back it up and prove me wrong, but you can't because all of the evidence points in the other direction. Kind of like Helfrich....

Your own quote above fits you a hell of alot more than it does me pal. But I'm done here because clearly you are never going to be able to provide any proof to anything that your saying. I just hope that from now that you will actually pay close attention to this with an open-mind and maybe 10 years from now you'll actually look back at this and be able to see what's really going on. 

Who are you to come into a thread out of nowhere, where two people are having a discussion and tell me to stop? This is footballsfuture.com, not topwop1.com.
If you have something to add....add it. Otherwise move on. You don't like what I have to say, don't read it. That's the great thing about the internet - you have that choice.

Alright everyone gets it you think the Bears are cheap and nothing will ever change that, fine; now shut up. 

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You have provided no evidence to refute anything said other than put up a spreadsheet that was supposedly from 2015 but strangely enough matches exactly what i found for 2017.  You cant refute that the Bears have done this many different ways and that this process has been thoroughly different than it ever has been in the past.  You havent refuted the fact that the Bears are embarking on a serious investment in Halas Hall to make it a premier football operations center.  You have yet to refute that Vic Fangio is now the highest paid DC in the NFL.  Granted I dont have contract terms but the anecdotal evidence is very strong. (Hub Arkush & Jeff Dickerson have both said BEFORE he became the hottest dc fa this year he was already at the top of the coordinator payscale).  Now we have every NFL insider saying that EVERY coach they interviewed was extremely impressed and came away wanting the job.  Peter King says that Pace is one of the most respected GMs in the league.  Yet here you are spouting off a narrative that hasnt been true since Lovie Smith was hired almost 20 years ago.

Seems like an OK hire. All the McVay talk is interesting cause the best thing McVay did was surround himself with coaches with much more experience than he had. HC is the overseer and all the assistants need to 'coach' so the HC can focus on the big picture and details. As a Raider fan I'm a bit concerned with OC Olsen and think 'Chucky' will probably take on too much instead of letting his coaches coach...Fox seemed like a 'Bears' kind of coach, but didn't have a good enough team to survive in the windy city.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You have provided no evidence to refute anything said other than put up a spreadsheet that was supposedly from 2015 but strangely enough matches exactly what i found for 2017.

So because you can't find it....it can't be true. I HAVE provided evidence and explained my stance. You on the other hand have not and just keep choosing to ignore any of it because it doesn't support your narrative.

You cant refute that the Bears have done this many different ways and that this process has been thoroughly different than it ever has been in the past. 

Great point! That's settles it. 9_9

Now you wanna tell me what exactly am I supposed to 'refute' here? What are these ways and process that your talking about?

You havent refuted the fact that the Bears are embarking on a serious investment in Halas Hall to make it a premier football operations center.

Ah yes, because this is completely relevant to the discussion, right? Seems to me like a MAJOR reach on your part.

You have yet to refute that Vic Fangio is now the highest paid DC in the NFL.  Granted I dont have contract terms but the anecdotal evidence is very strong. (Hub Arkush & Jeff Dickerson have both said BEFORE he became the hottest dc fa this year he was already at the top of the coordinator payscale).

First, it's not up to me to refute one of your wild claims such as; Fangio was already the 2nd highest paid DC in the league. It's up to you to provide those facts that support your claim and I already asked you to do so and you even admitted that you can't. Are you going to ignore hiring Helfrich?

For what it's worth, I think retaining Fangio is the best staff move they have made since canning Angelo. 

Now we have every NFL insider saying that EVERY coach they interviewed was extremely impressed and came away wanting the job.

Okay....all 5 of them? How is this relevant? Again, your reaching.

Peter King says that Pace is one of the most respected GMs in the league. 

Good for Peter King and SI. Dare I ask again, how is this relevant? Not sure where you're going with this, but FYI I don't have an issue with Pace. He was still inexperienced and in turn, the FO got off cheap but overall I think he's done a hell of a job thus far. However, it's hard not to be skeptical when you have seen this same approach by the FO fall flat before. Time will tell if he crashes and burns and turns out to be yet another example.

-------------------------------------------

Anyhow, you saying all of that and still never provided any facts whatsoever.....so I'm moving on.