2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:
45 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

If you're referring to Key, something did obviously happen. Up to the Packers to find out how significant it was.

He means recently, Key was a 1st round pick all through the season and then has slipped since late December, months after his absence.

I think fans/draftniks were waiting for him to do something during the season and once he didn't, the red flags slowly started to outweigh the tape for a top 10 pick

4 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I think fans/draftniks were waiting for him to do something during the season and once he didn't, the red flags slowly started to outweigh the tape for a top 10 pick

Aranda didn't play him in an similar role for some reason. He dropped back into coverage a lot more. Maybe a plan to show he's a complete player? He also had a busted up hand that he needed surgically repaired. I'm not really counting 2017 against him. His Bama game was pretty strong and that was the most important one.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Aranda didn't play him in an similar role for some reason. He dropped back into coverage a lot more. Maybe a plan to show he's a complete player? He also had a busted up hand that he needed surgically repaired. I'm not really counting 2017 against him. His Bama game was pretty strong and that was the most important one.

Yeah he set the edge well in the bama game. I like the player and the athlete. I will never know the person because I won't interview him. If we draft him, I trust we did our due diligence, and if we don't, I'll trust the same. 

Him and Justin Houston are much different situations. Hard to pull the trigger on a mid 1st rather than a 2nd/3rd. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This is actually something I've been thinking a lot about lately.  I'm sure there's a LOT of thought that goes into a new GM's first draft.  I wonder where Gute's head is. 

Go big or go home!  He needs to swing for the fences and hope he lands a young clay matthews type talent.  Need potential difference makers badly.

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Go big or go home!  He needs to swing for the fences and hope he lands a young clay matthews type talent.  Need potential difference makers badly.

Going big is fine - if it works. It's a disaster if it doesn't. For example, Reuben Foster last year (went at pick 31 to the 49ers), was a perfect example of "going big". I'm guessing you would have pulled the trigger on him, instead of King, since it fits so well with your philosophy. There is a complete nightmare unfolding for the 49ers, after using that much coveted first round pick.

That is one reason I think Gute will not be going all that 'big', not in his first year. Now I DO advocate swinging for the fences on occasion, but if you do that, consider the downside possibilities as well. Gambling on greatness is exactly what it says on the tin, a gamble.

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Agree.  Bad timing for Gute, but with ARod's age it is win NOW.  A difference maker is a must.  If he feels they have the horses and adding Pettine is going to make a big enough difference, then keep your picks and build depth.  This seems to be a good draft through the middle rounds (3-5) and we have plenty of picks.

49 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Going big is fine - if it works. It's a disaster if it doesn't. For example, Reuben Foster last year (went at pick 31 to the 49ers), was a perfect example of "going big". I'm guessing you would have pulled the trigger on him, instead of King, since it fits so well with your philosophy. There is a complete nightmare unfolding for the 49ers, after using that much coveted first round pick.

That is one reason I think Gute will not be going all that 'big', not in his first year. Now I DO advocate swinging for the fences on occasion, but if you do that, consider the downside possibilities as well. Gambling on greatness is exactly what it says on the tin, a gamble.

I was pounding the table for Joe Mixon with pick #29, but Dalvin Cook was intriguing as well.  Both of those guys had character concerns, but I thought they were superstar talents.  Foster would have made sense, but I wasn't screaming for him.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I was pounding the table for Joe Mixon with pick #29, but Dalvin Cook was intriguing as well.  Both of those guys had character concerns, but I thought they were superstar talents.  Foster would have made sense, but I wasn't screaming for him.

I was so torn on the Mixon pick. Have a really hard time cheering for people who have done.... questionable things. 

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out though. 2nd rounder > 4th+5th

3 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I was so torn on the Mixon pick. Have a really hard time cheering for people who have done.... questionable things. 

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out though. 2nd rounder > 4th+5th

I can see that .. it was risky.  He had done and said all the right things after that incident and I really thought he was a potential top 5 back in the NFL.  He really wasn't all that impressive last season, so maybe I overrated him a bit.  I really thought he would be our pick at the top of round 2.  I wasn't disappointed with the King pick though ... I have high hopes for him.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I can see that .. it was risky.  He had done and said all the right things after that incident and I really thought he was a potential top 5 back in the NFL.  He really wasn't all that impressive last season, so maybe I overrated him a bit.  I really thought he would be our pick at the top of round 2.  I wasn't disappointed with the King pick though ... I have high hopes for him.

Definitely. I think Mixon was okay. Didn't stand out as a future star, but looked like an every down back, and that's impressive behind that sieve of an OL. 

9 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I have argued in the past that just occasionaly the Packers should take a chance on greatness. Not all the time, not even routinely, just occasionally.

I think Key is one of the polarising players of the draft. He is mostly a 'run around the tackle' guy, but he is very good at doing that, getting very low for such a tall guy, as he runs the arc. I'd rather see Davenport, Landry or Edmunds on the team myself, but each of these guys have their warts as well. Choosing between the four, I'd say take a chance on Davenport or Edmunds before rolling the dice on Key. I do like Landry, but many sites have him rated a little lower. He would probably be a favourite target if the Packers traded down into the mid 20's.

I don't think Gute will want to take big risks on the first draft attributed to him. I think Davenport and Edmunds might be slightly less risky than Key. Edmunds (only 19 years old) has off-the-charts athleticism, while Davenport goes heads up against tackles more, and that physicality (despite the fact his legs are just a little bit skinny) is attractive to me.

Therefore my current order of preference is

Davenport
Edmunds
Landry
Key

What did TT do in his first draft? It was Aaron Rodgers was it not? Sometimes you just have to be willing to put your stamp on a team and let her rip. Having said that, I happen to love your list in the order you have them. I'd actually put Roquon Smith in between Edmunds and Landry. Perhaps even the safety from FSU as well. I think we are both assuming Chubb is long gone by our pick. 

6 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I think you pretty much nit the nail on the head.  Certain gambles are more than worth the risk, but most generally don't turn out as well.  I mean, if you're in the 4th round and see Antonio Callaway then I think you'd be hard pressed to pass up on that kind of talent.

Archived