2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Touché.  I'll grant that point, thanks for the work.  At this point I'll just stick to my guns on James being far more than a strong safety.  He is not a strong safety. 

And that's fine. I see his strengths as very similar to Josh Jones. Coming downhill and tackling in space? Pretty good. Man coverage and playing in the deep half? I'm not wild about that at all. I just think we can find a more premium skillset at a more premium position at pick 14.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's a fine list, but there's literally nothing about James' usage or skillset that says he has to be a SS in the NFL. Pryor, Bucannon, Neal, Barron, Peppers, Elam, that skillset screamed SS/ILB.

Adams, Ward, Vaccaro, Reid and Berry are all capable of doing more than just sitting in the box. Of those picks, only Ward hasn't really had a good season. Vacarro struggled early but last two seasons he's been OK. Played in an awful secondary too. Adams had a nice rookie year, we'll see. Reid and Berry I'd take any day of the week on this team.

Disagree with you on Pryor, Peppers and Elam. Those guys were sold as guys who could go cover man to man in the slot and be man to man match up guys.

Just now, MNPackfan32 said:

Disagree with you on Pryor, Peppers and Elam. Those guys were sold as guys who could go cover man to man in the slot and be man to man match up guys.

Elam maybe, Pryor and Peppers no way. Peppers biggest knock was that he was a game changing athlete that never matched up M2M nor created turnovers. Pryor was a stiff, 4.6 in the box hitter, whoever had him with slot capabilities didn't know what they were talking about.

Still, those are three 5'10-5'11-210 pound guys with good (Peppers) to mediocre/poor (Elam and Pryor) athletic traits. A very poor comparison for James. A guy who is widely considered one of the biggest freaks in the NCAA and someone who will blow up the Combine.

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Elam maybe, Pryor and Peppers no way. Peppers biggest knock was that he was a game changing athlete that never matched up M2M nor created turnovers. Pryor was a stiff, 4.6 in the box hitter, whoever had him with slot capabilities didn't know what they were talking about.

Still, those are three 5'10-5'11-210 pound guys with good (Peppers) to mediocre/poor (Elam and Pryor) athletic traits. A very poor comparison for James. A guy who is widely considered one of the biggest freaks in the NCAA and someone who will blow up the Combine.

And still, I don't see the value. Like I said, he's got that Josh Jones type to him. Coming downhill? Blitzing? Tackling in space? Yeah, it's pretty good. Deep half, man to man? I'm not in love. The premium is on the deep half and man to man. I just don't like the positional/skillset value at 14 at all.

4 hours ago, MNPackfan32 said:

And still, I don't see the value. Like I said, he's got that Josh Jones type to him. Coming downhill? Blitzing? Tackling in space? Yeah, it's pretty good. Deep half, man to man? I'm not in love. The premium is on the deep half and man to man. I just don't like the positional/skillset value at 14 at all.

I think we need to tone it down a bit on positional value. More than anything, we need difference makers. I'm not saying draft a QB or anything, but if our guys have a significantly higher grade on a guy who doesn't play a 'premium position' over a guy who plays a 'premium position' then I really hope they take the guy with the higher grade.

18 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

How do people feel about Mark Andrews with our 2nd pick? Guy is huge and has great speed and hands.

You think he has great speed? I don't see that at all. I'm thinking high 4.7s. 

None of the top TEs really look fast this year. I don't think any of them are close to breaking 4.6. Wouldn't be shocked if none broke 4.7. Not an ultra athletic TE class this year. 

12 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

You think he has great speed? I don't see that at all. I'm thinking high 4.7s. 

None of the top TEs really look fast this year. I don't think any of them are close to breaking 4.6. Wouldn't be shocked if none broke 4.7. Not an ultra athletic TE class this year. 

Goedert has been rumored at 4.65 seconds at SDSU. We'll find out for sure soon.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, HighCalebR said:

I'd be surprised if he made it into the 4.7's, I'd be staggered if he made it to the 4.6's. Definite plodder, and he doesn't do much in-line blocking. No thank you.

Let's not forget that Rob Gronkowski ran a 4.68 40, which for all intents and purposes is a 4.7 40.  That's good enough.  He's not a freak athlete, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find those kind of freak athletes with production.  Those are few and far between.  He's plenty of athletic enough for me.

- Lorenzo Carter wore so many hats for Georgia... I think an NFL team will try to make him a 1st-2nd down WLB and sub-rusher on 3rd down...

- Might find Carter in 4point stance off the edge, 2pt standing up, off-ball LB, walked out in the NB/SAM role over the slot... He's on punt and kickoff coverage. Carter shows you many ways he can contribute to an NFL team

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Let's not forget that Rob Gronkowski ran a 4.68 40, which for all intents and purposes is a 4.7 40.  That's good enough.  He's not a freak athlete, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find those kind of freak athletes with production.  Those are few and far between.  He's plenty of athletic enough for me.

That's fine too, definitely just my very amateur opinion. I just don't see him being better than Rodgers. I'm not totally down on slower TE's, but I'd rather know they're threats to block as well as receive.  A guy like Durham Smythe would be closer to me on the value river than spending what is being projected on Andrews.

Archived