2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Chubb/Davenport/James/Edmunds... What horror show scenario do you see where one of those four won't be available when we pick? 

Ridley is going before us (thank God).
At least two offensive linemen are going before us.
A team will reach on a receiver (it happens every year). 
At least one running back will go before us (probably two now that it's a trend).
A cornerback.
Probably a safety (Fitzpatrick).
And at least three quarterbacks.

That's ten players that won't be Chubb/Davenport/James/Edmunds, those are four players, we pick 14th. 

Drafting a LB instead of a pass rusher if they're anywhere near as talented makes about as much sense as wiping your butt before you poop. 

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson. That's the list of guys I'm positive will be gone when we pick.

Bucs at 7 are a threat for Davenport, Bears are a threat for any defensive player, same with SF and Oak, Dolphins, Bengals and Redskins could use an offensive lineman, but will they take one or go BPA and take a defensive player?

You're far more liberal in your assumptions than I am willing to be at this point. I don't see two RBs, or a WR off the board when we pick and 2 OL is certainly plausible but the tackle class is weak at the top.

On 15 Jan (page 88 of this thread) I wrote this:

A slightly different approach to the draft. Take several mocks and mark down the positions taken for the first 13 picks (it doesn't matter who goes where). Now compare them to see how many guys go at each position and average it out. Now you can get an idea of who is left.

QB average 3 (perhaps Rosen, Darnold, Jackson)
WR average 0
TE average  0
RB average  1 (Barkley)
OT average  2 (Brown, Williams)
OG average  1 (Nelson)
OC average  0
DT average   1 (Hurst or Vea)
DE/OLB average 2 (Chubb and one of Okoronkwo or Davenport or Key or Landry)
ILB average  1 (Smith)
S   average    1 (Fitzpatrick)
CB average   1 (Jackson or Ward)

Things change over time, but this still up holds fairly well. Edmunds might be another taken before the Packers pick, but there is plenty of talent left. Not in the Chubb, Nelson, Barkley, Fitzpatrick level, but sitting in the tier below that. (I don't have Ridley going before the Packers pick).

4 hours ago, tredpack said:

It’s totally going to be Nelson. I cannot wait to watch the **** storm. 

Nelson at 14 then a trade up for Sutton late round 1. I will press the refresh button over and over on FF for days..

Man depending on his combine I wouldn’t be upset with that one bit if the Packers were active on defense in free agency. Could help establish a Truly dominant offensive line.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You take the best defensive player on the board, regardless of position. I'm not going to reach for a pass rusher and take a guy we could've got in the mid 20s where we normally pick and miss out on the value of having a top 15 pick for the first time in awhile.

I agree with this. You take the player thats gonna make a difference on the field. Who's NAME is going to get called by the broadcast announcers because he's making plays.
Now - would I prefer that guy be at Edge Rusher and/or CB? Probably so cause those appear to be the highest priority for our D - but thats why I keep calling for our talent evaluators to be sharp and aggressive.

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Hate to disappoint you, but when I'm mad... When I'm really mad... I shut up completely.  After the Packers lost The Great Sorrow, I disappeared from this site for 4 months and came back with a new username.  If we draft Nelson at 14, I might not come back at all. 

Are you Barnett56 or whatever from back in the day?

11 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

Are you Barnett56 or whatever from back in the day?

That was years and years ago. Still weird thinking I’ve been on here ten plus years. I believe I joined in 06?

Anyways, which WRs projected in the second and third rounds do you guys think GB should give a serious look at?

16 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Anyways, which WRs projected in the second and third rounds do you guys think GB should give a serious look at?

Don't even think we should draft a WR that early if nothing happens with Jordy/Cobb.

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

Don't even think we should draft a WR that early if nothing happens with Jordy/Cobb.

I think we absolutely have to.  Receiver is an investment in next season.  Takes time for receivers.  That is triple true with Rodgers.  Rodgers doesn't trust a receiver until they grow a third arm to make a catch.  If we want an impact next year from a receiver we draft, we're going to have to draft him this year. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think we absolutely have to.  Receiver is an investment in next season.  Takes time for receivers.  If we want an impact from a receiver we draft next year, we're going to have to draft him this year.  That is triple true with Rodgers. 

If the value is there and they love them too much to pass sure take them, but I think defense and  offensive line might be more important for now. I'd like to see us draft a solid TE too.

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

If the value is there and they love them too much to pass sure take them, but I think defense and  offensive line might be more important for now. I'd like to see us draft a solid TE too.

If we keep neglecting the offense for defense, we'll end up with neither. 

First round is plenty investment for defense.  2nd-4th round we have to address skill positions.  We look pretty good at RB right now, so that means WR or TE.  Not every pick, but we need to address the skill positions there this year. 

Archived