2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Malik Jefferson and Tremaine Edmunds comparisons can stop. Jefferson proved he's an ILB only. 6'2 236 with 32" arms, that's not a ILB/OLB candidate.

Meanwhile Edmunds is 6'4 1/2" 253 with 34 1/2" arms and LVE shocked everyone coming in at 6'4 256 with 33 7/8" arms. His workout is suddenly very intriguing for us as a dual purpose ILB/EDGE.

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Malik Jefferson and Tremaine Edmunds comparisons can stop. Jefferson proved he's an ILB only. 6'2 236 with 32" arms, that's not a ILB/OLB candidate.

Meanwhile Edmunds is 6'4 1/2" 253 with 34 1/2" arms and LVE shocked everyone coming in at 6'4 256 with 33 7/8" arms. His workout is suddenly very intriguing for us as a dual purpose ILB/EDGE.

I hope Edmunds is the guy that falls to us at #14 .. guessing he'll be gone though.  We'll see.

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I hope Edmunds is the guy that falls to us at #14 .. guessing he'll be gone though.  We'll see.

I'm with you there, him or James. Just dont see it happening unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong

14 minutes ago, tredpack said:

I'm with you there, him or James. Just dont see it happening unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong

Gutekunst will have to weight the pros and cons on trading up for someone he thinks might have superstar potential.  With as many comp picks as he has at his disposal he's got a lot of flexibility.  We don't get to pick this high very often .. better make it count.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Calling it here on March 2nd. Dark Horse for pick #14 is Dorance Armstrong.

Scary good weigh in, if he's athletic, moves right into the top 20 range. His arms are crazy long and he was almost 260, I was worried he'd be under 240, but Key was the turd who couldn't hold the weight.

I imagine Key added some bad weight with the injuries and time off and to show he's serious he worked hard to cut it. Better be 245-250 by his pro day or the Randy Gregory comps will start flying.

This has been my guy. This weigh-in definitely cemented it. Not only does he have freakishly long arms but he really knows how to use them. Plays with excellent leverage, bet Mac is salivating

Just now, SpeightTheVillain said:

This has been my guy. This weigh-in definitely cemented it. Not only does he have freakishly long arms but he really knows how to use them. Plays with excellent leverage, bet Mac is salivating

All he needs to do is prove that he can move at that weight, and I'm game. He doesn't look 257 on tape, so if he's quick and bendy at that weight, sign me up.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Calling it here on March 2nd. Dark Horse for pick #14 is Dorance Armstrong.

A bold move PR! Stake your claim!

I posted something about him yesterday....in a article about him being a Day 2 guy, but cant say I read it all, so let me update those brain cells again:

"It’s been a tale of two seasons for Armstrong who shined in 2016 before a quiet 2017 season. The sack numbers dropped from 10 to two. His tackles for loss were cut in half from 20 to 10. With names like Arden Key, Harold Landry, and Marcus Davenport filling headlines, Armstrong has been covered up in the draft process and is another one of this year’s crop of edge rushers with true boom-or-bust potential.

Despite a lackluster season on paper, there are many, including an NFC scout, who believe there’s more to come from Armstrong.

“Don’t read too much into that sack total this year. They didn’t really cut him loose this year. I still like the talent and he will help himself at the Combine.”

On film, Armstrong shows some bend and twitch to go along with more-than-adequate size for an edge rusher. He also has experience as a stand-up rusher though he was oftentimes utilized as a down end. A knock on Armstrong is that he can rely on speed too much, becoming a one-trick pony. But he’s athletic and in a year where many of the popular pass rushers are far from sure things, Armstrong’s Combine could vault him into high second-round consideration"

I’m really warming up to the idea of Da’Ron Payne at 14. Think Shaun Ellis at his peak. Taking over for Lowry freeing up blockers for Clark.

I know another defensive lineman would be a little bit of letdown, but Payne is a unique talent who will make the guys around him better.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

A bold move PR! Stake your claim!

I posted something about him yesterday....in a article about him being a Day 2 guy, but cant say I read it all, so let me update those brain cells again:

"It’s been a tale of two seasons for Armstrong who shined in 2016 before a quiet 2017 season. The sack numbers dropped from 10 to two. His tackles for loss were cut in half from 20 to 10. With names like Arden Key, Harold Landry, and Marcus Davenport filling headlines, Armstrong has been covered up in the draft process and is another one of this year’s crop of edge rushers with true boom-or-bust potential.

Despite a lackluster season on paper, there are many, including an NFC scout, who believe there’s more to come from Armstrong.

“Don’t read too much into that sack total this year. They didn’t really cut him loose this year. I still like the talent and he will help himself at the Combine.”

On film, Armstrong shows some bend and twitch to go along with more-than-adequate size for an edge rusher. He also has experience as a stand-up rusher though he was oftentimes utilized as a down end. A knock on Armstrong is that he can rely on speed too much, becoming a one-trick pony. But he’s athletic and in a year where many of the popular pass rushers are far from sure things, Armstrong’s Combine could vault him into high second-round consideration"

That whole KU defense was a mess. He was playing contain most of the time because the rest of that front 7 can't stop anyone. I think he is a talent, and depending on the 3-cone performance could easily go in the top 20. You can't teach those arms. 

Armstrong was really impressive against the run this year. I thought it was a big weakness of his in 2016. But he seemed to turn it into a strength this year. Our defense around him was pretty dang bad minus a few players ( Wise, Lee, Dineen) so he was the focal point of offenses and they could afford to send extra protection his way. Really surprised by that weight today though. Can’t wait to see if he’s still got the same mobility and explosiveness at 260.

23 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

No. No one does. And I've repeatedly said that. Also, if you read i never mentioned Smith or Edmunds. Or even a high draft pick/FA. I  only stated that an upgrade or some new talent at the ILB position could help the defense.

But there is absolutely ZERO evidence that our ILB play has been a downfall of our defense in the last handful of years.  I mean, did we lose in 2016 or 2017 because of our ILB play?  No.  I think the last time that our ILB play lost us games was when we had the AJ Hawk/Brad Jones days as our starting ILBs.

Just now, tredpack said:

You should write a book. I've been Googling like a mad man for the last 20 minutes nothing. 

Is whoof good or bad? INTRIGUE! 

Hahaha altered quote from Home Alone, "Buzz, your girlfriend...whoof."

Making a mental note on how to grip the readers attention though!

Archived