2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

6'3 5/8 is what he measured.

Probably the best possible thing he could have asked for his stock. If he tests as well as I’d expect him to he can realistically jump into the top 3-5 range at the position as a whole now.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:04 PM, HighCalebR said:

What games are we watching? I wanna be as hype on this guy as everyone else.  What's the valuation on the guy? I'd spend a 4th at most on him and that's if we plan on letting RR walk.

UTEP, TCU, KSU, Georgia. 

Routes are effective but not great. Understands timing of plays. Often lined up in the slot. Gets down field with good burst. A size mismatch for defensive backs. Draws double teams occasionally. Uses hands to keep himself clean moving downfield. Not explosive YAC but poor technique will fail to bring him down. Hasn't shown much as an in-line blocker but has the frame. May fall because of health issues. 

Unrelated post: Hayden Hurst is only 18 months younger than Richard Rodgers and will be 25 at the start of the season. 

12 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

You guys seem the biggest danger to pick Derwin James before he makes it to pick #16 for the Ravens. Hhmmm. Is pass rush or even CB a big enough need that it will supersede taking the BPA(James)?

I think BPA would need to be right at CB or EDGE. If all 3 are in the same Tier as James, then we probably go EDGE, CB, S in that order. But, James is a special player, and I'm going to bet that the EDGE players in his tier are off the board by our pick.

The tell-tale sign will be if we pay Burnett or let him hit FA.

10 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:

I think BPA would need to be right at CB or EDGE. If all 3 are in the same Tier as James, then we probably go EDGE, CB, S in that order. But, James is a special player, and I'm going to bet that the EDGE players in his tier are off the board by our pick.

The tell-tale sign will be if we pay Burnett or let him hit FA.

I think it's all going to come down to Harold Landry. If he blows up the process, he's a lock for your pick I think. Maybe I'm just telling myself that though. We took Ray Lewis right before you guys did and I hope you don't return that favor with Derwin James.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:06 PM, Leader said:

"In his two-round mock draft, Pauline has the Packers taking Iowa cornerback Josh Jackson at No. 14 overall in the first round and LSU edge rusher Arden Key at No. 45 overall in the second round.

Landing Jackson and Key in the first two rounds would provide an instant influx of potentially game-changing talent, not only in the secondary, but also the pass rush. The two areas are intertwined in playing pass defense, and the Packers weren’t good enough in either area in 2017"

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/27/new-mock-draft-presents-potential-dream-scenario-for-packers/

If Josh Jackson wasn't a near pure zone CB for me, I'd probably consider it.  But I don't see the man skills being there.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, ArthurPensky said:

It’s an argument TT frequently made and GMs realize so I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

everyone obviously realizes pass rusher is more valuable. Advocating for ILB depth/upgrades doesn’t mean one doesn’t put a premium on pass rushers lol

Except that's not the case.  People are advocating Smith/Edmunds based largely off the fact it's a pretty smooth translation to the NFL.  There's a high floor there.  Even if the player doesn't have that kind of impact, you can reasonably predict how good he's going to be.  Even if long-term, they may not be a big impact long-term.  Let me ask you this, do you think that an equally talented ILB has the same impact as a pass rusher?

On 2/28/2018 at 10:59 AM, moretti19 said:

Well it is possible he grades out as the best defensive player. I would say that Kuelchy was def worth the 1st round pick and is probably the most valuable piece on the Panther defense. It's ok to talk about certain players and the impact they could have without being offended. Like you I would much prefer a OLB,CB, or Derwin James but I can see value of adding SMith to the defense

I mean, we're not making an equal comparison.  The Panthers play in a 43 defense, where your LBs are more "free lancing" to make plays where as your ILBs in a 34 defense don't have that same kind of flexibility.  Yeah, Kuechly is still going to be good in a 34 defense but if he's asked to do more run stopping responsibilities and take on blockers, will he have that same success?

On 2/28/2018 at 11:17 AM, moretti19 said:

I agree with you if there is a prospect that is a little higher at pass rush or db you go their without question. If ROquan is the pick though I think he could provide us a true leader that we don't have, help sure up the middle of the field where we are constantly attacked, and have the ability to spy quarterbacks. I don't want to say he can guard tight ends because not many can but he without a doubt ads speed and tenacity to our defense.

Except it's not a straight comparison.  If you pass on an EDGE at 14, what happens when the EDGE tier dries up before our 2nd round pick?  Than we're really screwed.  That's why I find the argument about BPA being a load of hogwash.  It should be renamed BVA, since you have to weigh the likelihood of your ability to get a "lesser" prospect later in the draft.  So even if you have Roquan Smith graded out as a slightly better player, are you taking him over say Harold Landry if you don't feel comfortable that a quality pass rusher hits your 2nd round pick?  For me, there has to be a huge grade lean.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:46 AM, Packerraymond said:

It doesn't matter what position is important, it matters what's on the board.

If Chubb and Davenport go before 14, you're going to have a hard time convincing me that Harold Landry is a better prospect than Smith or James. Do we take Landry to fill a hole? I wouldn't.

You take the best defensive player on the board, regardless of position. I'm not going to reach for a pass rusher and take a guy we could've got in the mid 20s where we normally pick and miss out on the value of having a top 15 pick for the first time in awhile.

It depends on how big of a difference you have those players graded and the likelihood that you believe you can get the "discounted" version.  If you feel confident you're going to be able to draft a quality pass rusher in the 2nd round, you can feel comfortable passing on Harold Landry at 14.

Archived