2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If we keep neglecting the offense for defense, we'll end up with neither. 

First round is plenty investment for defense.  2nd-4th round we have to address skill positions.  We look pretty good at RB right now, so that means WR or TE.  Not every pick, but we need to address the skill positions there this year. 

Never said I wanted to  neglect the offense, like i said if the value is there take that guy, but we're not lacking that much at the skill positions besides TE. I just don't want them to draft a WR say in the 2nd over a CB/OLB if theres still a need there after FA.

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

Never said I wanted to  neglect the offense, like i said if the value is there take that guy, but we're not lacking that much at the skill positions besides TE. I just don't want them to draft a WR say in the 2nd over a CB/OLB if theres still a need there after FA.

Value shmalue.  I just don't care this year.  GMs have been 100% positive a player is going to the Hall of Fame only to have that player bust and another player they drafted that year turn into a great player.  I don't know how points generally work in scouting, but let's say they rate players on a scale of 1-100, 100 being a player they think is a Hall of Fame player.

In round one, if a pass rusher or DB is at 80 and a WR, OL, RB, ILB is rated 85, take the pass rusher or CB. 

In round two, unless there's a 10 point disparity, pick a position you need (CB, EDGE, WR, etc).

In round three, unless there's a 15 point disparity...

And on and on. 

The draft is an absolute crapshoot.  It is nothing close to a science.  A Hall of Fame player is likely to be drafted in rounds 4-7 this year.  A player drafted in the first round will be out of the NFL in 3 years from this year's draft, and not due to injury. 

If the draft was more of a science, more of a sure thing, sure, go with the higher rated player.  It's nothing close to a science, so you might as well take a shot on a position you really need. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Value shmalue.  I just don't care this year.  GMs have been 100% positive a player is going to the Hall of Fame only to have that player bust and another player they drafted that year turn into a great player.  I don't know how points generally work in scouting, but let's say they rate players on a scale of 1-100, 100 being a player they think is a Hall of Fame player.

In round one, if a pass rusher or DB is at 80 and a WR, OL, RB, ILB is rated 85, take the pass rusher or CB. 

In round two, unless there's a 10 point disparity, pick a position you need (CB, EDGE, WR, etc).

In round three, unless there's a 15 point disparity...

And on and on. 

The draft is an absolute crapshoot.  It is nothing close to a science.  A Hall of Fame player is likely to be drafted in rounds 4-7 this year.  A player drafted in the first round will be out of the NFL in 3 years from this year's draft, and not due to injury. 

If the draft was more of a science, more of a sure thing, sure, go with the higher rated player.  It's nothing close to a science, so you might as well take a shot on a position you really need. 

Everyone has their own needs. I understand how the draft is and everything is a gamble. I'm just not convinced it's a position we really need early yet. Ofc my mind can always change in this offseason still.

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Everyone has their own needs. I understand how the draft is and everything is a gamble. I'm just not convinced it's a position we really need early yet. Ofc my mind can always change in this offseason still.

Nelson is mid cliff.

Cobb is everyone's favorite cut target

Adams is good

Davis, Janis, Allison, Clark, Yancey, Kumerow (who?), Pearson (the hell?) are gambles at best.

WR is definitely a position of need imo.

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

That was years and years ago. Still weird thinking I’ve been on here ten plus years. I believe I joined in 06?

Anyways, which WRs projected in the second and third rounds do you guys think GB should give a serious look at?

2nd round- Kirk, Chark, Sutton

3rd round- St. Brown, Burnett, Gallup.

Later rounds (troubled talent)- Callaway, Lasley or Darius Fountain, Weinke

8 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Nelson is mid cliff.

Cobb is everyone's favorite cut target

Adams is good

Davis, Janis, Allison, Clark, Yancey, Kumerow (who?), Pearson (the hell?) are gambles at best.

WR is definitely a position of need imo.

Nelson and Cobb are still good players, they haven't fallen off quite yet. There's always unknowns 4-6 string. Most teams don't have 3 solid guys at the top like that as well.  Again I wouldn't bring out the pitchforks out if we drafted one early if you're getting a good player, I just don't think it's a huge need, and we still need to see how FA shakes out as well.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Anyone have thoughts on TE Ian Thomas from Indiana? 

Really interested in seeing how he measures and performs at the combine. He seems like an under the radar type player vs Andrews, Goedert etc.

Someone put me on to him just yesterday. Seems interesting at least, I didn't sit and watch a ton though.

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

2nd round- Kirk, Chark, Sutton

3rd round- St. Brown, Burnett, Gallup.

Later rounds (troubled talent)- Callaway, Lasley or Darius Fountain, Weinke

Awesome, thanks.

I'm a big ND fan, saw a lot of St. Brown. He played with a subpar QB this year, (Kizer wasn't that great either), I think his best ball could be ahead of him.

My current favorite under the radar TE is Dalton Schultz. Extremely adept at finding the soft spots in zones. More than anything at TE, I want a guy who can turn more 2nd and 10s into 3rd and 2s and that’s what you’ll get from him. Great value pick in the 5th(hoping he lasts that long, should with a slew of TEs ranked ahead of him currently). Also a tremendous blocker which we haven’t had in a very long time. Thanks again Bennett.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Anyone have thoughts on TE Ian Thomas from Indiana? 

Really interested in seeing how he measures and performs at the combine. He seems like an under the radar type player vs Andrews, Goedert etc.

He's listed at 6'-3" so he needs to measure every bit of that

3 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Nelson and Cobb are still good players, they haven't fallen off quite yet. There's always unknowns 4-6 string. Most teams don't have 3 solid guys at the top like that as well.  Again I wouldn't bring out the pitchforks out if we drafted one early if you're getting a good player, I just don't think it's a huge need, and we still need to see how FA shakes out as well.

If the season goes poorly, the #1 reason I would point to at this stage is that we were wrong (and the FO was wrong) about this being the case.  If Nelson is washed, and Cobb is just meh, then I don't think this offense will have the juice that it should.

And yeah, the defense will have to be bad for the season to go really wrong.  But that would be the status quo and a lack of a improvement rather than a "change" or mis-read of the situation.  All the talk from FO and coaches is that they know the Defense has to improve.  There's a not so cautious optimism around Cobb and Nelson though.

Archived