2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

10 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I don't see Ridley falling to 14 but if he did, he's the only first round WR pick I'd fully endorse for any team in a long while. Instantly gives this offense the threat over the top it lacks. Not to mention a ton of options for creative stuff underneath. Rodgers would love him from the beginning. 

I'm with you on this. I DO think Ridley will be available though. I feel the same way about WR as most do on here about Guard in the 1st. Its just not something we really NEED with Rodgers at QB. Part of me is just curious to see what he could do with a straight up physical stud in Ridley or Sutton. Ridley to me fits our offense better, but we've never had a Sutton type of athlete. Maybe Finely is the closest comp? 

For me its all about impact year 1 over the next few drafts. How short sighted of me! Who will impact our team from day 1?Just dont see Rodgers relying on a rookie in the passing game. Would love to be wrong, because Ridley is a total stud and the best player on that team, might be the best player in the CFP--easy top 3. 

To be edited Later: Found it.

"If the defense was pounding on us for too long, Kiffin would get pissed," said Barrineau, a reserve wide receiver for Alabama from 2012 to 2015. "(Cornerback) Tony Brown or someone else on defense would talk some trash to him, like, 'Kiffin, you can't even get a first down on us.' Whenever Lane had had enough, he'd grab Calvin and send in a go route. And Calvin would burn them deep almost every time. That was his best way to make the defense stop talking so much."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870757/article/calvin-ridley-alabamas-unguardable-star-wide-receiver

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think it was @Leader who provided the tweet that says pass rushers are at a premium right now, and they tend to go early and often.  IF the Packers don't draft one at 14, what's going to be available at 45?  I just can't envision a situation in which taking an OG at 14 makes sense.  Maybe if we didn't have major holes at OLB and CB.

This is why I mess with the Fanspeak 'On the Clock'.

Not so much to see who the Packers draft, but to see which positions get snapped up quickly and which ones are value in the 2-5 round area. Current efforts there (it is early days yet) suggest you might (just about) get a good NFL level pass rusher in round two, after which things tail off. You have a chance at a solid TE in round three, while I see plenty of CBs stacking up as best available remaining guys in rounds 4-5. This helps you develop a draft strategy - something like 1) OLB,    2) WR,    3) TE,    3c) CB, . I'm hoping Ted & the new GM can bring another O lineman rabbit out of their hat like Bakhtiari, Tretter, Linsley, in rounds 4-5 with maybe a double dip at CB in round 4, if the right O lineman isn't there.

Of course in the end, no matter how much we all project stuff, the bottom line is who is left when each pick rolls around.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Brady is just hyper critical. Big difference. 

Screaming at other players and coaches is critical screaming at the opponent is inexcusable? Mayfield, according to all accounts, is well liked by his teammates. He's a fighter and a heck of a football player. On those clips between Mayfield talking to the crowd and his gestures, I saw some pretty good football. Juvenile conduct... sure but he can grow up. 

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Isn’t Tom Brady kind of a jag off too? All in all though, some... many guys mature once they get in the NFL. 

I've seen Brady rant and rave tossing F bombs on the sidelines when they are losing.  I don't recall ever seeing Rodgers behave like that.

14 hours ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I'm wondering what game he looked slow in? He looks like he has good burst and he plays physical as hell. Watch the North Texas tape.

I went back and looked at that film... all the way to the end this time. First time I watched I got bored watching because he kept going straight through his man and nothing else. the second half of the field is better and he does show more burst. almost like he doesn't go around because straight through the man is the shortest route. 

LIS, I still want to see him at the All-star games but he's got me intrigued. Is he fast enough to get the edge in the NFL, those games may show it. He sure is powerful. The link below shows him going up against some better competition as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-utsa-pass-rusher-marcus-davenport-has-enormous-nfl-potential/ 

42 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I've seen Brady rant and rave tossing F bombs on the sidelines when they are losing.  I don't recall ever seeing Rodgers behave like that.

Peyton Manning was the worst. Apparently when he publicly berated players and coaches it was competitive spirit, leadership, and moxy.

10 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

Was listening to a local sports radio and they had some draft guy in - I picked up the segment halfway and they were talking about this exact comparison. From what I got out of what he said said there are 2 major differences: (1) Manziel always seemed far less apologetic and remorseful about his mistakes (2) Manziels shtick got old really quick amongst his own teammates - while Mayfields guys would run through a brick wall for him because he’s a great leader.

I mean, did anyone see that thing from Dede Westbrook when he first got to Oklahoma.  Basically, the gist of it was that Baker picked him up and took him to and from practice everyday because Dede didn't have a car.  You don't do that if you're a bad individual.

Okay, so Rodgers didn't grab his crotch after the Barr hit, but he did whip a few choice words at Barr, and continued it in the media.

Before I get piled on, no, I'm not being critical of Rodgers.

Just like I'm not going to be overly critical of Mayfield for his reaction.

I really like what I see from him on the field.  Arm could be stronger, but he throws a good ball and is accurate on the run.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Not so much to see who the Packers draft, but to see which positions get snapped up quickly and which ones are value in the 2-5 round area. Current efforts there (it is early days yet) suggest you might (just about) get a good NFL level pass rusher in round two, after which things tail off. You have a chance at a solid TE in round three, while I see plenty of CBs stacking up as best available remaining guys in rounds 4-5. This helps you develop a draft strategy - something like 1) OLB,    2) WR,    3) TE,    3c) CB, . I'm hoping Ted & the new GM can bring another O lineman rabbit out of their hat like Bakhtiari, Tretter, Linsley, in rounds 4-5 with maybe a double dip at CB in round 4, if the right O lineman isn't there.

a couple of recent Packers examples:

Round 3 TE's - Finley, Martellus Bennett and DickRod

Round 4-5 CBs-  Davon House, Micah Hyde

Arden Key, Dorance Armstrong and Josh Sweat all declare for the draft today. 3 EDGE guys that should all be Day 1-2 picks. They join Sam Hubbard, Hercules Mata'afa and the Toledo kid as early declaring EDGE players.

Still waiting on official word from Chubb and the Clemson duo I believe.

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Arden Key, Dorance Armstrong and Josh Sweat all declare for the draft today. 3 EDGE guys that should all be Day 1-2 picks. They join Sam Hubbard, Hercules Mata'afa and the Toledo kid as early declaring EDGE players.

Still waiting on official word from Chubb and the Clemson duo I believe.

Chubb is a Senior

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Mark Andrews and Equanimeous St. Brown declare. We'll be seeing a lot of them in the 2nd round of many mock drafts.

Yupp. We absolutely need to add at least 2 weapons on offense this year, whether it be in the draft or free agency. That $25.2m owed to Randall and Jordy this year needs to be used more effectively. For a while I was saying "it's only one more year then they can go", but the direction from MM is clear. We are changing to win now. 

If they are cut, we lose $5.5 in dead money, leaving us with $19.7m in savings. Based on 2017, I would say I would rather have $19.7m than Jordy and Cobb in 2018.

We aren't going to cut both, but just putting the numbers there

edit: this post got so sidetracked lol. I would love Andrews in round 2, still need to watch Brown but I've heard good things

Archived