Gruden's Staff

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

lol... hilarious stuff here. Gruden hires Cable and fans actually think the Oline is going to suck now and want to us Seattle's production on Oline's as why?

The Raider have KO, Hudson and Jackson on this line. These guys are not just going to become awful now lol. 

Way to much gets made out of ZBS and Power schemes. Most teams are multiple. It comes down to talent. 

I get that. However Cable never really put together a full, balanced OL in his carrier so far and as numbers suggest his OL's had trouble with pass protection for long long years now.

Our QB's biggest weakness is his ability to handle pressure and we hire a OL coach who seem to be pretty bad at teaching that...this makes me worried yeah.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I get that. However Cable never really put together a full, balanced OL in his carrier so far and as numbers suggest his OL's had trouble with pass protection for long long years now.

Our QB's biggest weakness is his ability to handle pressure and we hire a OL coach who seem to be pretty bad at teaching that...this makes me worried yeah.

Again... show me a unit that Cable coached with this level of talent. Not saying Cable is a great coach, simply saying he's got talent here that should propel him and he's generally liked bby his players. 

One note on Cable, hope the media is just speculating and it doesn't mean Lynch is coming back stunting any growth and development at the RB position another year. I was never a big Murray guy, but he got the job done and was a class act in the locker room. The Lynch dynamic didn't work and hope Gruden doesn't waste a season with him.

I know that our OL is much more talented then his previous lines, but still...

He failed to find and develope OL talent in Seattle over a long period, so I don't like him being here for the long run...

Vic Tafur just wrote that RM was pretty pleased with Lynch's running in the 2nd half of the season, so now with Cable on board he could very well be back IMO.

If Gruden and Cable can get him to stand in the line and the run blocking will be in his favor, I could see that...Gruden like veterans and he knows, feels what Lynch means to the local community...we will see...

With that said I think they will need to draft a back relatively early IMO. A complete back.

Lynch even if he stays is a stop gap.

Richard could bounce back IMO, but he is just a 3rd down RB. Not a trully good ZBS fit.

Washington could also bounce back, however I think he is not a good fit for the ZBS.

Hood is alos more of a downhill runner, who is not a good fit for this outside zone scheme we are moving towards...

I think we will bring back Lynch, we will draft a back in the early, middle rounds (2-5) and let The Smurfs battle out the 3rd down RB spot.

14 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I know that our OL is much more talented then his previous lines, but still...

He failed to find and develope OL talent in Seattle over a long period, so I don't like him being here for the long run...

Vic Tafur just wrote that RM was pretty pleased with Lynch's running in the 2nd half of the season, so now with Cable on board he could very well be back IMO.

If Gruden and Cable can get him to stand in the line and the run blocking will be in his favor, I could see that...Gruden like veterans and he knows, feels what Lynch means to the local community...we will see...

With that said I think they will need to draft a back relatively early IMO. A complete back.

Lynch even if he stays is a stop gap.

Richard could bounce back IMO, but he is just a 3rd down RB. Not a trully good ZBS fit.

Washington could also bounce back, however I think he is not a good fit for the ZBS.

Hood is alos more of a downhill runner, who is not a good fit for this outside zone scheme we are moving towards...

I think we will bring back Lynch, we will draft a back in the early, middle rounds (2-5) and let The Smurfs battle out the 3rd down RB spot.

Was it his job to find talent? Feel like that is on the GM no? Regardless, look at some of the "talent" he was given. Sweezy who he had to convert from DE to G. Gilliam who was URFA who had 1 year playing T in college. And this season Fant who was a basketball player, who played 1 year at TE and converted to the teams starting LT. 

Now... is this Cable saying I can turn water into wine as the FO placed value more on defense and skill positions, I don't know.   

Richard and Washington are not good backs. Shouldn't be seeing the field the amount they do. Hood, I have no idea why fans keep bringing his name up. He's done nothing, even in preseason he was overlooked. He wasn't good in college. He's a big guy, who runs soft and upright and lacks explosiveness.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

lol... hilarious stuff here. Gruden hires Cable and fans actually think the Oline is going to suck now and want to us Seattle's production on Oline's as why?

The Raider have KO, Hudson and Jackson on this line. These guys are not just going to become awful now lol. 

Way to much gets made out of ZBS and Power schemes. Most teams are multiple. It comes down to talent. 

Its not out the realm of possibiity for the oline to take a step back with bad coaching. I wouldnt say suck. But unless carr changes they don't  have to suck, at pass protect. If they are average, carr is gonna have issues unless he fix something. Its ok for people to worry about cable getting the best out of whoever  our 2 new tackles will be. 

FWIW:

4. Is Cable’s zone-blocking scheme a good fit for the Raiders’ massive front line?

The Raiders ran less of offensive line coach Mike Tice’s power and gap schemes this year to help Lynch get comfortable. Tice added more outside-zone runs, as the Raiders already used some inside-zone. The results were mixed.

Lynch enjoyed his best years in Seattle running behind Cable’s zone-blocking scheme (essentially smaller, more athletic linemen creating lanes as opposed to maulers moving straight ahead).

The Raiders have the biggest (and most expensive) offensive line in the NFL, so Cable will likely mix zone and power principles. As Gruden said at his press conference on Tuesday, he will base his scheme on what best suits the talent on his roster, and the offensive line will be no different.

After years of piecing together offensive lines out of scraps, Cable is thrilled to be working with three Pro Bowlers (guard Kelechi Osemele, center Rodney Hudson and tackle Donald Penn) and a future one in guard Gabe Jackson.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

One note on Cable, hope the media is just speculating and it doesn't mean Lynch is coming back stunting any growth and development at the RB position another year. I was never a big Murray guy, but he got the job done and was a class act in the locker room. The Lynch dynamic didn't work and hope Gruden doesn't waste a season with him.

Murray got the job done? Weren't you one of his biggest detractors because he missed too many open holes and went down easily on first contact? And stunting who's growth? Richard and Washington are scat backs who will never amount to much more. Unless we draft a back, I don't see him stunting anyone's growth.

Lynch was better this past season than Murray ever was for us given the circumstances. He ran hard and was easily our best offensive player. People hate on Marshawn too much because of supposed sources, but Mark Davis and the team knew what they were getting when they signed him mainly for PR reasons.

19 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Murray got the job done? Weren't you one of his biggest detractors because he missed too many open holes and went down easily on first contact? And stunting who's growth? Richard and Washington are scat backs who will never amount to much more. Unless we draft a back, I don't see him stunting anyone's growth.

Lynch was better this past season than Murray ever was for us given the circumstances. He ran hard and was easily our best offensive player. People hate on Marshawn too much because of supposed sources, but Mark Davis and the team knew what they were getting when they signed him mainly for PR reasons.

Yes. I wasn't a big Murray guy. I said the same thing last offseason I will say this offseason. UPGRADE the position. I was pounding the table for Alvin Kamara. But they ignored the position, brought in Lynch and it is what it is. Might as well kept Murray on the cheap for a year opposed to re-tooling things for Lynch.

When I said stuting growth.... I simply mean the postion isn't growing bbecause they are not bringing in new talent, instead relying on a has been who was reportedly late for meeting, etc. and left to act like this owns the place because "he's from Oakland".

And Hudson was the Raiders best offensive player. But I see where you're coming from. But that means little. So he was the best on poorly coached team. The Raiders are 2-3 years away so why waste 1 of those years on Lynch. UPGRADE the position. 

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The Raider have KO, Hudson and Jackson on this line. These guys are not just going to become awful now lo

KO and Gabe need to bounce back next season. They weren't that good in 2017. They're the 2nd and 4th highest paid G in the league so they should consistently dominate whoever they're facing.

And both OT spots will have to be coached up real soon.

4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

KO and Gabe need to bounce back next season. They weren't that good in 2017. They're the 2nd and 4th highest paid G in the league so they should consistently dominate whoever they're facing.

And both OT spots will have to be coached up real soon.

They weren't as dominant because they weren't blocking up field as much. 

KO, Jackson, and Hudson have enough talent to play different schemes but will not perform at optimal levels.  They will be retained.  Which OL players currently on the team do you see here next year.  I am pretty sure, although talented, Kirkland and Alexander are gone.  On a side note how did KNJ get the DC job in Seattle.  You would think that after Pagano showed that KNJ was the weakness that he would only get a LBs coaching job at the most.

Yeah. That’s a real head scratcher. I was a little disappointed that we did not hire Harold Goodwin as oline coach, but for all we know he could remain oc in arz or even be made head coach. They have been very quiet in the process.

What position coaches are still vacant? Dline, lbs, tight ends? Qb coach if deemed necessary?

Archived