Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

It's a different kind of complicated. Pettine will use more formations but it seems like Capers d had many more checks and reads. It sounds like we will see multiple base and sub package formations, 3-4, 4-3, 46, ect,and the playbook will be thick but execution more simple on the field.

15 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

If I recall correctly, when we were under Dom you were pretty opposed to us drafting a true nose or another DL since we were nickel so much. Do you still think that under Pettine a Vea/Wilkins/Payne - who could all be solid value plays at 14 from what I've read - would be a waste? Assuming the EDGES are "Meh" at the slot, I would be excited about having another hoss next to Clark/Daniels but not sure how much we'd actually get all 3 in. 

Pettine averaged 4.77 DBs per snap with the Bills back in the day. That's likely going to be higher here as more receivers are seeing the field in 2018.

If you're looking for a DL to play, you need another pressure guy. Our pressure package is brutal right now.

Perry-Daniels-Lowry-Matthews-Fackrell-----Projectile Vomits everywhere.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Pettine averaged 4.77 DBs per snap with the Bills back in the day. That's likely going to be higher here as more receivers are seeing the field in 2018.

If you're looking for a DL to play, you need another pressure guy. Our pressure package is brutal right now.

Perry-Daniels-Lowry-Matthews-Fackrell-----Projectile Vomits everywhere.

So if I'm reading between the lines correctly, it's not that it's DL that you're against. You just dont think the trio I listed are capable? I figured Vea and Payne, wasnt sure abt Wilkins. 

2 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

So if I'm reading between the lines correctly, it's not that it's DL that you're against. You just dont think the trio I listed are capable? I figured Vea and Payne, wasnt sure abt Wilkins. 

I'm against any front group player that isn't a pass rusher. That can be an Edge guy, an Interior Defensive Lineman who can win inside, or even an Inside Linebacker that can blitz at an extremely high level. 

We've got enough guys who muddle at the line of scrimmage and then disengage. We need up field players.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

LOL what's the deal with this guy? What did he do so bad over there they finished strong once Jimmy got acclimated.

First of all he has been unemployed for two years. Secondly he has a huge credibility problem. As defensive coordinator he lost the dressing room at both 49ers and Browns.

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

Thankfully we passed on him.

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm against any front group player that isn't a pass rusher. That can be an Edge guy, an Interior Defensive Lineman who can win inside, or even an Inside Linebacker that can blitz at an extremely high level. 

We've got enough guys who muddle at the line of scrimmage and then disengage. We need up field players.

This all day long. I am not opposed to finding two pass rushers in this draft, even if it's in round 1 and 2. Yes, I know there are other needs but you have to be able to get to the QB. The dream would be for Chubb to fall to us, I know, not going to happen. He could play outside on run down and whip guys inside in passing situation. Find another edge rusher in round 2, even if that is all the kid can do initially and we're in good shape heading into next year. I think if you don't go CB you can get guys later but might need to grab one in free agency. Love to snag the kid from the Bears, Fuller. 

9 minutes ago, Golfman said:

This all day long. I am not opposed to finding two pass rushers in this draft, even if it's in round 1 and 2. Yes, I know there are other needs but you have to be able to get to the QB. The dream would be for Chubb to fall to us, I know, not going to happen. He could play outside on run down and whip guys inside in passing situation. Find another edge rusher in round 2, even if that is all the kid can do initially and we're in good shape heading into next year. I think if you don't go CB you can get guys later but might need to grab one in free agency. Love to snag the kid from the Bears, Fuller. 

To me finding pass rushers is the #1 need on defense right now.  I'm tired of watching this defense allow mediocre QBs to look like HOFs.  When you can't rush the passer I don't care who you have in your secondary.  Nobody can cover a WR forever.  I dreaded it when it was 3rd and long because most of the time we couldn't stop 'em.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Well looks like Fangio is waiting for the Vikings to get eliminated so he can join Pat Shurmur in Arizona. Guess Mac wanted Pettine more.

http://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/12/cardinals-could-end-up-with-vic-fangio-as-dc-if-pat-shurmur-is-coach/

That would be an acceptable drain of coaching talent from NFC North opponents for me  :)

Archived