Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How is anybody upset about this? Pettine's resume as a DC laps the rest of the field. This was easily the #1 guy out there.

The only thing I can figure as to why anyone has any heartburn over this selection is that they fell in love with some other candidate, thinking they know better, or that their favorite candidate was sitting by their phone, pining to come to GB.  Fact is, we don’t know if Fangio or Joe Schmo wanted to come to GB.  

Just now, cannondale said:

You would take him over Fangio ?

Pettine's resume as a defensive coordinator earned him a HC gig, something Fangio can't say. Honestly couldn't go wrong with either though. Both get the job done. Pettine will bring more aggressiveness with his scheme than Fangio does

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How is anybody upset about this? Pettine's resume as a DC laps the rest of the field. This was easily the #1 guy out there.

He was a loser with the Brown and is bringing his losing culture to GB. GB refuses to hire anyone who will bring real change like Rex Ryan would.
^Sarcasm

21 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

I'm not a huge fan of this move. Pettine didn't have much luck stopping Tom Brady when he was with the Jets and had a pretty stacked defensive roster. In 2011 and 2012 the point totals put up by the Patriots were 30, 37, 29, and 49. In 8 meetings against Tom Brady as DC of the Jets he could only hold Tom Brady under 30 points in 3 of those 8 meetings. Pretty much sounds like Dom Capers vers. 2. My view of it was this Fangio #1a, Bradley 1b, and Pettine a distant 3rd. I'm surprised that Fangio and Bradley didn't get much play for the position. This will be now two times that Vic Fangio has been available to coach this defense and McCarthy passed on him. All Vic Fangio has done over his career in the NFL is lead Top 10 defenses. He rebuilt a complete disaster of a defense in Chicago and turned them into a stout defense within 3 years. It was a complete rebuild. not only did they change from a 4-3 to a 3-4, the 2014 Bears were atrocious on defense.  I'm in agreement with some of the posters here that Fangio is the more proven candidate of the three big names. He has proven that he doesn't need a stacked defensive roster to get results. The proof is in the pudding. Only one team put up more than 30 points on the Bears last year and that was against a red-hot Aaron Rodgers that took advantage of 4 Bears turnovers and short fields. I'm frankly dumbfounded by this move. Maybe McCarthy called Fangio and Bradley and maybe they weren't very interested.

Those certainly are not great games for sure.   But a little digging shows that NYJ was not great with ball security in those games.  

29 point game was at OT loss, NE scores on a KO return for TD and a Sanchez safety.  That is a pretty good outing

49 point game is a NYJ 5 turnover game.  

NE also averaged 32.1 points per game in 2011 and 34.8 in 2012

16 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

You realistically weren’t going to be real happy regardless of what happened anyway. At least you wouldn’t have acted like you were, anyway. 

Nah, I'm good with it. I'm not gonna jump up and down though until I see what happens on the field. 

Dom is gone. That alone makes me happy. 

Just now, packerjmf said:

He was a loser with the Brown and is bringing his losing culture to GB. GB refuses to hire anyone who will bring real change like Rex Ryan would.
^Sarcasm

You should probably enlarge the size of “sarcasm” , or get trolled big time! :D

Some people hear “complex” scheme and their hair catches fire. 

Every expert said Capers defense, although complex, was very sound. Unfortunately TT kept turning over the roster so we never had enough veteran players to handle it. The players seem to have gotten frustrated and someone had to go. 

I expect Gooot to give Petitine more veterans who can pull this off and Petitine to have as good of a scheme as in the past. 

1 minute ago, packerjmf said:

^Sarcasm

Here's the thing about green font. You don't have to write 'sarcasm'. ;)

This is a brilliant and I mean brilliant hire.  This guy is from the Ryan coaching tree.   One thing a Ryan style defense has in common they are all tough.  I have to give MM a lot of credit for bringing in Philbin and now Pettine.  Serious upgrade to both positions.  MM had redeemed himself all be it a little late.

4 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

She me people hear “complex” scheme and their hair catches fire. 

Every expert said Capers defense, although complex, was very sound. Unfortunately TY kept turning over the roster so we never had enough veteran players to handle it. The players seem to have gotten frustrated and someone had to go. 

I expect Gooot to give Petitine more veterans who can pull this off and Petitine to have as good of a scheme as in the past. 

Agreed.  And, Pettine has a reputation as a staunch gameplanner and is known for his preparedness.  He’ll take our current band of loved but oft-injured misfits, sprinkle in a few FA playmakers, and turn this defense into something respectable.

Will be really interesting to see how Pettine will view the GB FA group on Defense.   Burnett, House, Dial, Brooks. 

Seems like having veteran safeties would be beneficial, and Burnett would certainly be a nice piece to retain.  House as a veteran CB would be nice as well to decrease the NEED of adding a CB in FA or the draft that would be expected to come in and start.  

Archived