Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Key is going to be adding pieces that fit Pettine's scheme. You'd hope MM wouldn't hire another "complex" DC unless he was real confident personnel changes were coming. Gute needs give Pettine some toys.

Revis, Kerry Rhodes, David Harris, Tashaun Gipson, Antonio Cromartie, Muhammad Wilkerson, Kiko Alonso, Aaron Williams, Jerry Hughes, Joe Haden, Buster Skrine were all players under 27 who played really well under Pettine.

Just now, squire12 said:

Maybe Pettine will be able to adapt his scheme to fit that players that GB has on Defense.

As someone mentioined, there are a good deal of veterans on the defense already.  Adding a few rookies and other potential FA should be sufficient.  A rookie EDGE rusher to rotate with CM and Perry, another boundary CB to go with King, Randall.

I don't think that's enough. I look for the Packers to add at least 2-3 vet defensive players at varying salary/talent levels. Maybe one stud player and 1-2 solid role players that will push for starting/rotational roles.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Revis, Kerry Rhodes, David Harris, Tashaun Gipson, Antonio Cromartie, Muhammad Wilkerson, Kiko Alonso, Aaron Williams, Jerry Hughes, Joe Haden, Buster Skrine were all players under 27 who played really well under Pettine.

That's a talented group. Hope the scheme made the players just as much as the players made the scheme. That's the key

Loved David Harris

32 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Just the way he worded it and his reply to me is all

Every single year there is talk of a bunch of guys restructuring and it never happens

Yeah but usually with just individual players in the discussion.  I can't think of a time we've had such a lopsided rate for a position group.  We are currently over 9m higher than the 2nd team (dallas) in WR spending which is more than the difference between them and the 10th highest team.  It would be one thing if all of our WRs were young and still producing at a high level to pay that much but Jordy is older and baseball slides after every catch and Cobb hasn't played up to his contract for 3 years in a row.  More than likely something's gonna change there.

2 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Sweet! Another Capers' complicated D!! You'd think Mac would learn. 

Eh, Sometimes I feel Polian just likes to hear himself speak. I think with the success Pettine has had he can adapt to the environment he comes into. After the defenses i've seen the last couple years I am willing to give him a chance. 

Just now, Toddfather said:

Eh, Sometimes I feel Polian just likes to hear himself speak. I think with the success Pettine has had he can adapt to the environment he comes into. After the defenses i've seen the last couple years I am willing to give him a chance. 

Hope so. One of ex-players biggest issues with Dom was his complex D. Too much thinking, not enough reacting.

I'm not a huge fan of this move. Pettine didn't have much luck stopping Tom Brady when he was with the Jets and had a pretty stacked defensive roster. In 2011 and 2012 the point totals put up by the Patriots were 30, 37, 29, and 49. In 8 meetings against Tom Brady as DC of the Jets he could only hold Tom Brady under 30 points in 3 of those 8 meetings. Pretty much sounds like Dom Capers vers. 2. My view of it was this Fangio #1a, Bradley 1b, and Pettine a distant 3rd. I'm surprised that Fangio and Bradley didn't get much play for the position. This will be now two times that Vic Fangio has been available to coach this defense and McCarthy passed on him. All Vic Fangio has done over his career in the NFL is lead Top 10 defenses. He rebuilt a complete disaster of a defense in Chicago and turned them into a stout defense within 3 years. It was a complete rebuild. not only did they change from a 4-3 to a 3-4, the 2014 Bears were atrocious on defense.  I'm in agreement with some of the posters here that Fangio is the more proven candidate of the three big names. He has proven that he doesn't need a stacked defensive roster to get results. The proof is in the pudding. Only one team put up more than 30 points on the Bears last year and that was against a red-hot Aaron Rodgers that took advantage of 4 Bears turnovers and short fields. I'm frankly dumbfounded by this move. Maybe McCarthy called Fangio and Bradley and maybe they weren't very interested.

1 minute ago, strat1080 said:

I'm not a huge fan of this move. Pettine didn't have much luck stopping Tom Brady when he was with the Jets and had a pretty stacked defensive roster. In 2011 and 2012 the point totals put up by the Patriots were 30, 37, 29, and 49. In 8 meetings against Tom Brady as DC of the Jets he could only hold Tom Brady under 30 points in 3 of those 8 meetings. Pretty much sounds like Dom Capers vers. 2. My view of it was this Fangio #1a, Bradley 1b, and Pettine a distant 3rd. I'm surprised that Fangio and Bradley didn't get much play for the position. This will be now two times that Vic Fangio has been available to coach this defense and McCarthy passed on him. All Vic Fangio has done over his career in the NFL is lead Top 10 defenses. He rebuilt a complete disaster of a defense in Chicago and turned them into a stout defense within 3 years. It was a complete rebuild. not only did they change from a 4-3 to a 3-4, the 2014 Bears were atrocious on defense.  I'm in agreement with some of the posters here that Fangio is the more proven candidate of the three big names. He has proven that he doesn't need a stacked defensive roster to get results. The proof is in the pudding. Only one team put up more than 30 points on the Bears last year and that was against a red-hot Aaron Rodgers that took advantage of 4 Bears turnovers and short fields. I'm frankly dumbfounded by this move. Maybe McCarthy called Fangio and Bradley and maybe they weren't very interested.

Great, if we get more of the same I think everyone here will riot.

I have to trust that MM and the org know what they’re doing.  They well know what’s at stake.  Sometimes we as fans fall in love with a free agent, or in this case a coach (Fangio), and when that person isn’t picked up we feel let down.  I think this is a fine pick, and I welcome him to the Green Bay Packers family.  Mr. Pettine - I hope you and your defense kick some serious NFC North arse!

5 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

This will be now two times that Vic Fangio has been available to coach this defense and McCarthy passed on him

This is not true. Unless you think NE, PIT, JAX, TEN, PHI, MIN, NO, and ATL just passed on Mike Pettine, Gus Bradley and Vic Fangio too.

Archived