Cowboys Draft Links and Meetings Thread

flyingmonkey30

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Morris Claiborne (1)
JJ Wilcox (3)
Byron Jones (1)
Chidobe Awuzie (2)
Jourdan Lewis (3)

Since 2010, we have drafted five DBs with "premium" picks. Two in the first round, two in the third, one in the second. I agree that a quality pass rush helps the secondary, but I've never been of the belief that you can throw Joe Blow out there with a top notch pass rush and be successful. Maybe I'm wrong, but five picks out of 21 doesn't seem absurd, especially when you run out 4-6 DBs every possession in a league that passes more now than ever. There are some drafting philosophies that have plagued us over the years, but I'm not so sure this is one of them.

We have a pass rush now. It can still improve but it's not non existent like it was in previous years. So we could afford to take Minkah or Derwin now. I'm not campaigning for it. Buts it's not the absolute dumbing thing now to do so. In fact if we could somehow get Isaiah Oliver with our 2nd or 3rd pick I would love it since we still lack a true shutdown corner and he has the ability to be a multiyear pro bowler. 

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

We have a pass rush now. It can still improve but it's not non existent like it was in previous years. So we could afford to take Minkah or Derwin now. I'm not campaigning for it. Buts it's not the absolute dumbing thing now to do so. In fact if we could somehow get Isaiah Oliver with our 2nd or 3rd pick I would love it since we still lack a true shutdown corner and he has the ability to be a multiyear pro bowler. 

Also a good point. We were middle of the pack in terms of sacks. We can improve on that, but it's not nearly as dire as it was even last year. Having said that, I'd love to add a pass rusher in the first 100 picks if it makes sense.

6 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Morris Claiborne (1)
JJ Wilcox (3)
Byron Jones (1)
Chidobe Awuzie (2)
Jourdan Lewis (3)

Since 2010, we have drafted five DBs with "premium" picks. Two in the first round, two in the third, one in the second. I agree that a quality pass rush helps the secondary, but I've never been of the belief that you can throw Joe Blow out there with a top notch pass rush and be successful. Maybe I'm wrong, but five picks out of 21 doesn't seem absurd, especially when you run out 4-6 DBs every possession in a league that passes more now than ever. There are some drafting philosophies that have plagued us over the years, but I'm not so sure this is one of them.

You forgot Mike Jenkins when we had 2 first round picks.

6 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I agree. I wouldn’t trade up for any of them, but, like I said before: I openly hate DBs, but I’d draft Derwin James ahead of any of the WRs in this year’s class.

9 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I would hope the Cowboys might have been looking up that QB from Tech. Doesn't look like a future pro bowler. But he has a decent skill set that may warrant a look in the 7th or FA.

Nah

20 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Best park of a guy like Derwin, is that such a pick is not an investment into already youth filled secondary - its an investment in your run defense and into your system. This team so rarely has run a basic cover 2 or 'tampa 2' over the last two years, and this cover 1 lurk/zone robber defensive style has really done much better as a whole. Derwin would be the missing piece to that robber. 

No secret here, good as Jeff Heath was for filling in for Church, he was no Church. And as good as Church was at the role, he was not very good either. Derwin James is the vital upgrade to the role that this cover style revolves around ... letting that safety play in an area.closer to the line to play the run, but deep enough to play the pass, and in open space enough to make a big play no matter where it comes from. The robber is supposed to be the big play guy in this system, that Troy Polamalu (who was an outstanding robber zone player) or Rodney Harrison (another outstanding robber) out there smacking guys around, intercepting passes, and beating up anyone who dares catching a pass over ths middle.

If you cant tell - Id give up quite a bit to move up and get Derwin James. He is this units missing piece. The final piece of the triforce. Our princess will no longer be in another castle. 

11 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Best park of a guy like Derwin, is that such a pick is not an investment into already youth filled secondary - its an investment in your run defense and into your system. This team so rarely has run a basic cover 2 or 'tampa 2' over the last two years, and this cover 1 lurk/zone robber defensive style has really done much better as a whole. Derwin would be the missing piece to that robber. 

No secret here, good as Jeff Heath was for filling in for Church, he was no Church. And as good as Church was at the role, he was not very good either. Derwin James is the vital upgrade to the role that this cover style revolves around ... letting that safety play in an area.closer to the line to play the run, but deep enough to play the pass, and in open space enough to make a big play no matter where it comes from. The robber is supposed to be the big play guy in this system, that Troy Polamalu (who was an outstanding robber zone player) or Rodney Harrison (another outstanding robber) out there smacking guys around, intercepting passes, and beating up anyone who dares catching a pass over ths middle.

If you cant tell - Id give up quite a bit to move up and get Derwin James. He is this units missing piece. The final piece of the triforce. Our princess will no longer be in another castle. 

We better not have any princesses on this defense. 

Archived