2018 Off-season Coaching Staff Changes

Mind Character

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

To me, thats the one thing that was meant by Dorseys football player comments he made when he took the job over. 

That sometimes a player needs to get ripped a new one. When I was coaching, I have only yelled/ripped into a player twice. Once when the kid was verbally attacking and was trying to force a physical altercation at practice. God that kid was a POS. Thank god he got kicked off the team for telling a teacher to Suck his D--- in class. Second kid, was playing in the biggest game of the season. He was the right guard. He was playing extremely lazy. Nothing was working and when we turned the ball over on downs because he missed a block, I think I met him 10yards on the field and ripped him a new one. He tried talking back, I shut him down, finished the *** chewing and told him get water and pull his head out of his butt. 3 plays later he is by my side because he is one of my DTs. Gave him a side hug, apologized and told him I only ripped him a new one cause I expect a better performance out of you. He apologized for talking back and playing like poop. He ended up removing his head from his butt and played a very good game the rest of the way. I have played with coaches where the yelling ane name calling was their first move and that never worked. 

It has worked well for me with each one of my 6 kids when they needed it. ;)

Verbal kick in the butt used sparingly made a difference for each of them.

In fact, with a smart kid -- and all of mine are, of course :D -- you only need to show it once and the potential for it does the rest!

My biggest kick in the butt came from a bull moose of an Ursuline nun (I mean it...she looked suited to pull a plow) in 7th grade.

I had just transferred into her school mid-year, had already taken a mandatory course at my previous school, didn't put a lot of effort into it and got a paper back from her marked with a "D" grade.

I had never had anything less than a "B" on anything in my school years.

I approached her and asked her if I could talk with her about it after class and she agreed.

I put the paper out to her and told her point blank that the paper did not deserve a "D".

And she told me: "No, it didn't, but you did. You put no effort into this paper. You think you are hot **** (no lie, from a nun!), Mr. bruceb, but if you want me to believe that you are going to have to prove it...show me that you are."

It worked.

As I stated before we made a lot of these hires, Bruce Arians and Hue Jackson have a tremendous fondness for each other and respect each others evaluations.

That made me post that Amos Jones and Harold Goodwin could likely be hired by the Browns.

We went with Todd Haley instead of Goodwin, we signed Amos Jones as ST coordinator, and it has been announced that we have hired the former TE/QB/RB coach of the Arizona Cardinals Freddie Kitchens.

Todd Haley loved Kitchens work as a coach when Haley was the OC of the Cardinals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Kitchens

Fascinating that we gave Kitchens the title Associate Head Coach...really speaks to how much Hue respects Arians' recommendation and Kitchens ability to coach.

He's a beloved coach and former QB at Alabama under Bruce Arians OC. Not sure how he coaches RBs, but he's a quality football coach for sure.

19 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

As I stated before we made a lot of these hires, Bruce Arians and Hue Jackson have a tremendous fondness for each other and respect each others evaluations.

That made me post that Amos Jones and Harold Goodwin could likely be hired by the Browns.

We went with Todd Haley instead of Goodwin, we signed Amos Jones as ST coordinator, and it has been announced that we have hired the former TE/QB/RB coach of the Arizona Cardinals Freddie Kitchens.

Todd Haley loved Kitchens work as a coach when Haley was the OC of the Cardinals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Kitchens

Fascinating that we gave Kitchens the title Associate Head Coach...really speaks to how much Hue respects Arians' recommendation and Kitchens ability to coach.

He's a beloved coach and former QB at Alabama under Bruce Arians OC. Not sure how he coaches RBs, but he's a quality football coach for sure.

They might of gave him the title of assistant HC so they are able to openly sign him without Arizona blocking it. Under contract you can’t really accept lateral moves. Being assistant HC/RB coach is a promotion and allows him to freely leave out of his contract. 

20 minutes ago, buno67 said:

They might of gave him the title of assistant HC so they are able to openly sign him without Arizona blocking it. Under contract you can’t really accept lateral moves. Being assistant HC/RB coach is a promotion and allows him to freely leave out of his contract. 

Great and good point generally; however, after Arians got fired; AZ's GM Keim said he'd talk to the assistants and let them out of their contracts if they so desire.

So, it's likely that the associate HC moniker was granted either due to Haley/Arians' recommendation and/or Kitchens had other job opportunities (very likely) and that title promotion gave the Browns the competitive advantage amongst the possible suitors for his services.

9 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Hue need's an assistant head coach 

somebody has to focus on game situations 

timeouts time left all that stuff 

Hue is bad at it he needs some help 

Just had a

whoa-keanu-reeves-pantone-color-of-the-y

moment when reading your comment. 

What if having someone else manage play calling/clock situations will be enough to create wins, thus beginning to alter the "Hue doesn't win" narrative/current statistical reality? 

Could an assistant coach be the small tweak needed to establish Hue as our HCOTF?

34 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He had that his first year with pep. Really didn’t help anything. 

But he was still a big part of the offense. 

We need someone on game day who is totally focused on game time stuff unless Hue switches up and does that with us having Haley now 

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Hue need's an assistant head coach 

somebody has to focus on game situations 

timeouts time left all that stuff 

Hue is bad at it he needs some help 

If Haley takes over the offense and an assistant takes over game situation with Williams controlling the defense then yeah, I think Hue could be a good head coach.

Wow. Whoever wrote the BR/1000 entry for Njoku was NOT impressed by Hue.

David Njoku had a fine rookie season in a poor offense. He was targeted 60 times, catching 32 of them, and scored four touchdowns. He's a good athlete and natural receiver. Njoku should be a weapon for the Browns in the coming years as a guy who'll be hard for linebackers to cover. He's more of a move blocker, and that should fit Hue Jackson's offense once he decides to use his best weapons to score points and win games.

3 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Did Kitchens Develop David Johnson ? Or was that more arians ?

Well Kitchen was only the RB last year, so I would say no, since Johnson has been a stud for a couple years prior. 

Archived