The Travel Help Thread

Texansfan713

12 hours ago, Forge said:

This year, my gf and I are flying to france and germany to visit some friends, however we want to start making one international trip per year (plus maybe a cruise). Neither of us any history really traveling internationally (I Haven't done it as an adult, only as a minor, and she hasn't done it all). Purely from a vacation perspective, what are your personal faves? I want to do Greece and Italy next year, but obviously there are plenty of options, so curious what others think. 

Peru!

9 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Oman. See some Middle Eastern culture without a lot of the shock of the super conservatism of Saudi or Kuwait. Gorgeous views of nature and easy to drive in.

Not Oman, but I'm trying to throw together for both Jordan and Egypt over labor day this year. Maybe not the optimal time of year to visit a desert, and flights are a pain. I really want to go to Petra though and I figure if I'm in the area I might as well at least visit Cairo and the pyramids if it's only an hour long flight away.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Greece is the most amazing place I've ever been to in my entire life. I'd highly suggest Mykonos over more popular islands such as Santorini - it's just an amazing setting, I can't begin to describe the beauty of that area.

agreed. ive been to Mykonos. its incredible, especially the water

1 hour ago, MathMan said:

agreed. ive been to Mykonos. its incredible, especially the water

My goodness, the water - a perfect shade of blue against the whitest beach you'll find, and the sea breeze is a near religious experience.

I need to go again. I nearly forgot how amazing that place is.

13 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

But she knows all the places to visit, eat, party, etc.

Just let me know if and what I should ask.

Yeah it'd be great if you could ask her; the more opinions I can get the better. I'm mostly curious about how the conditions are in San Juan right now? How is the electricity? How is tourism doing at the moment? How is food/water? And if all that checks off, where would the places be to go around there for food/fun?

17 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah it'd be great if you could ask her; the more opinions I can get the better. I'm mostly curious about how the conditions are in San Juan right now? How is the electricity? How is tourism doing at the moment? How is food/water? And if all that checks off, where would the places be to go around there for food/fun?

Tourism is probably down because of negative perception, I imagine there's some good deals right now. If you've never done one anywhere else, I'd recommend going to a rum distillery for a tour/tasting. On the subject of Puerto Rico, I'd love to go to the bio-luminescent bay, although it might be a tourist trap. Pretty sure that's at least an overnight trip from San Juan though.

12 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

-Oman. See some Middle Eastern culture without a lot of the shock of the super conservatism of Saudi or Kuwait. Gorgeous views of nature and easy to drive in.

-Russia: Ride the train from Irkutsk to Moscow then Speed train to St. Pete. Incredible amounts of history in all three cities. Stay at Lake Baikal by Irkutsk. 

-Switzerland: Everything you see is like from a story book

-Tanzania: Safaris are amazing and seeing the easts up close and in the wild is incredible.

If you are serious about trying to travel every year and aren't big on the planning part of it or nervous about travel then I would recommend a tour company. I've used GoAhead a couple times and it's been a great experience every time. You can book them 2 years in advance and pay it off in small chunks too. Biggest issue with them is you can't stray from their itinerary and they are more expensive than if you did it on your own. You'd also be traveling with a group.

Great answer, thanks. We actually almost decided to do switzerland this year for a couple of days. Our flight home from Germany lays over in Switzerland, so we thought about pushing the actual flight home from Switzerland to Vegas a couple of days just to spend some time there. Couldn't get the schedule right though. I had never thought of Tanzania before, but that is something that would really, really appeal to her. I'm more of a history and art and relax on the beach guy, but she's really big on the safari and animals angle, so I'll definitely have to consider Tanzania. 

We really want to do the traveling once/twice a year. It's something her father does, and now that we are a little older, we don't spend much money on other things because we have sort of lost interest, but we are both really big on traveling and going to places we haven't been before. Thanks for the Tour Company info - I think that there are some cases and places where we would want to use one, and some we would want to do on our own. 

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Greece is the most amazing place I've ever been to in my entire life. I'd highly suggest Mykonos over more popular islands such as Santorini - it's just an amazing setting, I can't begin to describe the beauty of that area.

Yeah, I'm all in on Greece (and Italy) as one of our trips in the near future. I think that's something I'm really going to enjoy. Glad that I have people here who can give me tips like going to Mykonos - I'm not the type that digs into things like that, would have just gone to the most popular lol

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I'm all in on Greece (and Italy) as one of our trips in the near future. I think that's something I'm really going to enjoy. Glad that I have people here who can give me tips like going to Mykonos - I'm not the type that digs into things like that, would have just gone to the most popular lol

Santorini has it's moments and is probably the better "party" island - the night life over there is legendary (not that I got to enjoy it with a wife who was a few weeks pregnant and my son, mind you). 

Mykonos has it's own party areas (I'd highly suggest going to Super Paradise Island) but it's not that kinda place overall - it's just a relaxed, chill area. You wake up late, eat breakfast, throw some slippers on and walk around the town center, stop by a little cafe and get a light refreshment and a glass of wine, check out the beach, have a drink or two at the bar, take a good long nap, chill by the pool, eat some more food, drink some more wine and just relax...

I REALLY need to go again. I'm getting homesick and it ain't even my home.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

I want to see the Maldives. I'm not rich and I know I need to be to spend a week there.

Don't have to be. We went and stayed at a guesthouse on a random island (Maafushi). Then would take day trips to the big resorts. Spent 850 for the week between two of us. 

Only major issue with that is the Maldives are an Islamic country where drinking is outlawed except on the resorts. We'd drink when we went to the resorts but beers there are heinously expensive. 

On 5/17/2018 at 9:50 AM, RavensTillIDie said:

Conditions in SJ? In terms of weather likely to be hot and humid. Hurricane season approaches so people might be prepping for that. I know that many restaurants have closed, but many are still open and in operation. There is still some rubble and debris, mostly around the rural areas- touristy areas are almost back to normal. In terms of electricity, there are still 20k people on the island without power- but again, touristy areas take precedence in getting power. Tourism is slowly returning- Cruise ships have officially returned this week, for example. San Juan, Condado, Santurce are all fairly safe- as much as you'd be in any other capital city. Food and water are safe to eat/drink. If your friend has a sensitive stomach, better to drink filtered water, but it's not really a problem.  Food in Puerto Rico es delicious still- anything pork/ plantain/ seafood- especially in a fried state is recommendable. Food and fun depends on what vibe you're lookin for. In San Juan, Old San Juan is still a decent hang out. As well as Condado, La Placita, Santurce, and Calle Loiza {those are areas in which you can find cool bars and restaurants}. Puerto Rico has never had a real 'club' scene, so that hasn't changed.  If they want any more specifics about where to eat, hip places to go, and/or things to do around the island if they'd like to leave San Juan, please let me know and I'll make calls and find out more details on new stuff. 

@RavensTillIDie, this is what she said.

On 5/17/2018 at 6:14 PM, skywindO2 said:

Tourism is probably down because of negative perception, I imagine there's some good deals right now. If you've never done one anywhere else, I'd recommend going to a rum distillery for a tour/tasting. On the subject of Puerto Rico, I'd love to go to the bio-luminescent bay, although it might be a tourist trap. Pretty sure that's at least an overnight trip from San Juan though.

I did the bio bay and I recommend it. It was a cool experience that I’d do again. Be prepared to do a lot of paddeling through large and small spaces. 

I’m not sure on their current conditions, but check out crossing a ferry to Vieques or Culebra Island. The beaches there are much nicer imo. The north beaches, where most of the resorts were, had sand fleas in San Juan. 

I’d also recommend checking out the Arecibo Observatory if you’re into touristy stuff. There’s also some smaller, lesser known swimming holes and water falls in that area that I visited. 

22 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Conditions in SJ? In terms of weather likely to be hot and humid. Hurricane season approaches so people might be prepping for that. I know that many restaurants have closed, but many are still open and in operation. There is still some rubble and debris, mostly around the rural areas- touristy areas are almost back to normal. In terms of electricity, there are still 20k people on the island without power- but again, touristy areas take precedence in getting power. Tourism is slowly returning- Cruise ships have officially returned this week, for example. San Juan, Condado, Santurce are all fairly safe- as much as you'd be in any other capital city. Food and water are safe to eat/drink. If your friend has a sensitive stomach, better to drink filtered water, but it's not really a problem.  Food in Puerto Rico es delicious still- anything pork/ plantain/ seafood- especially in a fried state is recommendable. Food and fun depends on what vibe you're lookin for. In San Juan, Old San Juan is still a decent hang out. As well as Condado, La Placita, Santurce, and Calle Loiza {those are areas in which you can find cool bars and restaurants}. Puerto Rico has never had a real 'club' scene, so that hasn't changed.  If they want any more specifics about where to eat, hip places to go, and/or things to do around the island if they'd like to leave San Juan, please let me know and I'll make calls and find out more details on new stuff. 

@RavensTillIDie, this is what she said.

Oh, wow. Thank you to you and your gf for the detailed information. Wife and I are still weighing our options, but this should definitely help!

Archived