Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AnAngryAmerican

2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Broncos fans are ridiculous for hyping up 6th round picks, 7th round picks and undrafted guys to be the next coming of Tom Brady.

 

Literally in the 10 years I've been watching we've had Chad Kelly, Kyle Sloter, Zac Dysert, Trevor Siemian, Tom Brandstater, Adam Weber, Bradlee Van Pelt and Ingle Martin. Literally only one of these guys had any notable impact in the NFL let alone in Denver. Chad Kelly is a total nobody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Broncos fans are ridiculous for hyping up 6th round picks, 7th round picks and undrafted guys to be the next coming of Tom Brady.

 

Literally in the 10 years I've been watching we've had Chad Kelly, Kyle Sloter, Zac Dysert, Trevor Siemian, Tom Brandstater, Adam Weber, Bradlee Van Pelt and Ingle Martin. Literally only one of these guys had any notable impact in the NFL let alone in Denver. Chad Kelly is a total nobody.

Maybe after this years 7th rounder and next years 7th round QB selection....then we will find the next Tom Brady...that would be 1 out of 10...just noting the probability increases each year we select a 7th rounder with potential.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Broncos fans are ridiculous for hyping up 6th round picks, 7th round picks and undrafted guys to be the next coming of Tom Brady.

 

Literally in the 10 years I've been watching we've had Chad Kelly, Kyle Sloter, Zac Dysert, Trevor Siemian, Tom Brandstater, Adam Weber, Bradlee Van Pelt and Ingle Martin. Literally only one of these guys had any notable impact in the NFL let alone in Denver. Chad Kelly is a total nobody.

Kelly's stock dropped on a continuous basis in the run up to the draft because he is a nutjob and because he had an injury to his throwing wrist and ACL

Does this mean that he is going to be any good? - No

But Kelly is touted as potentially the best QB on the roster - given the competition that is not too difficult a task.

we will find out during training camp if he is actually any good - and, like with every draft pick the Broncos make, here's hoping.

Edited by jolly red giant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kenny Bell was a guy that I was very high on in 2015. Excellent combine, great production at Nebraska. Did injuries get him? I thought he could be a nice vertical outside threat in this league.

One of the silliest looking people to ever don a NFL uniform as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iLikeDefense said:

We signed three players Receiver Kenny Bell and defensive linemen DeShawn Williams and Andreas Knappe

Bell was a 5th rd pick in 2015 draft by the Bucs. Odd to see them cut bait so soon, so he may be nothing for us but good roll of the dice.

Knappe is an intriguing case - 6'8, 325.   Bounced around - super-raw.   A decent flyer to see if there's anything there with a full offseason on the squad.   The T FA class is brutally bad, you have to take chances on these raw, unmolded types in UFA to get OL depth nowadays.

Bell had lid-lifter skills in college - he's been hurt a ton, which seems to have sapped some of that explosion.  At 6'1, 200, without explosion, he's JAG.   One bonus - he has decent KR skills in his pedigree.   He's not great at getting separation, and most of his speed is straight-line when he played in college, so that probably explains the quick hook.  Still, nothing lost by taking a look, maybe if he's healthy he'll get some of that explosiveness back. 

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

If he wasn't Jim Kellys nephew he'd be a JAG.

If he wasn't Jim Kelly's nephew he'd be a JAGB, just another grocery bagger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

If he wasn't Jim Kelly's nephew he'd be a JAGB, just another grocery bagger. 

Oh I don’t know about that.  Broncos fans do get fired up about their late round QBs. But Kelly’s nothing like the others.

At one time Chad Kelly was thought of as a 1st round pick.  He was also highly recruited, 4th overall at his position, and the #1 overall recruit out of New York.  He’s also a very good talent.  Elite arm, a good athlete, and showed an understanding for throwing a player open at the college level.  Also highly competitive.

Does he end up panning our?  Probably not, but this isn’t the same as Tom Brandstater and other late round QBs Denver’s selected.  None of them have had the talent Kelly has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Oh I don’t know about that.  Broncos fans do get fired up about their late round QBs. But Kelly’s nothing like the others.

At one time Chad Kelly was thought of as a 1st round pick.  He was also highly recruited, 4th overall at his position, and the #1 overall recruit out of New York.  He’s also a very good talent.  Elite arm, a good athlete, and showed an understanding for throwing a player open at the college level.  Also highly competitive.

Does he end up panning our?  Probably not, but this isn’t the same as Tom Brandstater and other late round QBs Denver’s selected.  None of them have had the talent Kelly has.

What late-round QB has anyone been into other than Sloter? I don't remember Bronco fans wanting guys like Tom Brandstater and Adam Weber to play immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

What late-round QB has anyone been into other than Sloter? I don't remember Bronco fans wanting guys like Tom Brandstater and Adam Weber to play immediately.

Maybe not immediately, but almost every single one of them gets quite of bit of wishful thinking hype.  To be quite honest, the hype around Kelly (probably because he was on IR and didn’t play in the preseason) has been minimal compared to others.

When McDaniels took Brandstater the guy was getting hyped to be the next Brady.  Van Pelt at one point was going to be the next franchise QB for this organization.  It just always seems fans fall in love with the late round QBs around here, hell maybe it’s league wide, I don’t know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Oh I don’t know about that.  Broncos fans do get fired up about their late round QBs. But Kelly’s nothing like the others.

At one time Chad Kelly was thought of as a 1st round pick.  He was also highly recruited, 4th overall at his position, and the #1 overall recruit out of New York.  He’s also a very good talent.  Elite arm, a good athlete, and showed an understanding for throwing a player open at the college level.  Also highly competitive.

Does he end up panning our?  Probably not, but this isn’t the same as Tom Brandstater and other late round QBs Denver’s selected.  None of them have had the talent Kelly has.

I understand he dropped due to injury and being a headcase. But what makes him any different from an Adrian Mcpherson totally butchering that name but he fell do to off the field issues and was touted as a Micheal Vick type prospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I understand he dropped due to injury and being a headcase. But what makes him any different from an Adrian Mcpherson totally butchering that name but he fell do to off the field issues and was touted as a Micheal Vick type prospect. 

Adrian McPherson was awful in college.  Don’t really get this comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Adrian McPherson was awful in college.  Don’t really get this comparison.

His completion % was bad but the guy had 14 passing tds to just 1 int. He also threw 61 tds in his year in the arena league.  

Dual threat guy I'm not saying they're similar prospects just saying that they were both head cases off the field with big time measurables. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

His completion % was bad but the guy had 14 passing tds to just 1 int. He also threw 61 tds in his year in the arena league.  

Dual threat guy I'm not saying they're similar prospects just saying that they were both head cases off the field with big time measurables. 

But McPherson still was never good.  They catered everything to him to get those TDs. 

Tim Tebow threw 32 touchdowns to 6 INTs in a season and throwing a football looked like it was painful for him. College and especially Arena league systems are far easier to cater too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

But McPherson still was never good.  They catered everything to him to get those TDs. 

Tim Tebow threw 32 touchdowns to 6 INTs in a season and throwing a football looked like it was painful for him. College and especially Arena league systems are far easier to cater too.

Okay so whats the difference a late round pick is still being pimped out due to college production. 

I'm honestly shocked Kelly fell to the last pick of the draft I think there's way more too that behind closed doors. Even with injury and off the field issues that are said to be overblown it still doesn't make sense.

I mean look at a guy like David Webb he was a 3rd or 4th round pick. He has half the talent Kelly has and was redshirted as well. Why not take the higher ceiling guy if they are getting redshirted. Heck Christian Hackenberg has been redshirted 2 years.  

What I think happened to Chad is he's showed other glaring red flags, he probably bombed interviews. On draft day I saw a guy who looked disinterested.  Not a guy who wanted to come into the league with a chip on his shoulder. Maybe body lamguage is a bad read maybe I'm off base it didn't feel like that. Reminded me a lot of Jay Cutler in a terrible way.

Edited by thebestever6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×