Will Tom Brady Become The Greatest...

mdonnelly21

143 members have voted

1. 1. If Tom Brady Wins A SB Will He Be The Greatest Sports Player Of All Time?

• Already is
    • Yes
    • No

28 minutes ago, Wolverine_Joe said:

in the 60's against vastly inferior competition.  there were like 8 to 11 nba teams.    there's a reason why nobody puts russell as #1.   MJ is the absolute GOAT in the nba.  Kareem gets some votes, but nobody else should unless Bron goes on a crazy run for next 8-9 years.

Whoa. 

When Russell was winning titles what was the competition... Wilt and the Lakers

When Magic was winning championships what the competition... the Bird Celtics, the Bad Boy Pistons. 

When Kobe was winning titles what was the competition... Pop's Spurs, the Big 3 Celtics. 

When Lebron was winning titles what was the competition... the Warriors, the Pop Spurs, the big 3 Celtics for his first run in Cleveland. 

When Jordan was winning titles who was the biggest competition... an old broken down Lakers for the first year? The Rockets with Hakeem? The Jazz lol?

If we are talking about competition Jordan played in  one of the friendlies era's in NBA history outside of maybe Russell's and I'd still say the Lakers with Wilt for that era were far better than most teams Jordan had to deal with. 

Anyways as far as guys near Jordan who have an argument... Magic who might have 7 championships if Bird wasn't around and he didn't play in the most competetive era. Wilt who still owns every stat. Lebron who is overall a far superior athlete and went to more Finals on worse teams against better competition. 

Jordan imo is the GOAT, but again it's the way the argument is presented. When it's Jordan he just gets the benefit of the doubt on everything. There's legit criticisms of him.

Like I'd say Gretzky is far more advanced as far as being the best hockey player than Jordan is as the best basketball player.

17 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Whoa. 

When Magic was winning championships what the competition... the Bird Celtics, the Bad Boy Pistons. 

When Kobe was winning titles what was the competition... Pop's Spurs, the Big 3 Celtics. 

When Lebron was winning titles what was the competition... the Warriors, the Pop Spurs, the big 3 Celtics for his first run in Cleveland. 

When Jordan was winning titles who was the biggest competition... an old broken down Lakers for the first year? The Rockets with Hakeem? The Jazz lol?

If we are talking about competition Jordan played in  one of the friendlies era's in NBA history outside of maybe Russell's and I'd still say the Lakers with Wilt for that era were far better than most teams Jordan had to deal with. 

Anyways as far as guys near Jordan who have an argument... Magic who might have 7 championships if Bird wasn't around and he didn't play in the most competetive era. Wilt who still owns every stat. Lebron who is overall a far superior athlete and went to more Finals on worse teams against better competition. 

Jordan imo is the GOAT, but again it's the way the argument is presented. When it's Jordan he just gets the benefit of the doubt on everything. There's legit criticisms of him.

Like I'd say Gretzky is far more advanced as far as being the best hockey player than Jordan is as the best basketball player.

What do you think about Tiger Woods?  Regardless of how things have ended for him, he was an incredibly dominant player in his sport. 

38 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

What do you think about Tiger Woods?  Regardless of how things have ended for him, he was an incredibly dominant player in his sport. 

I think Tiger is incredible, but there's always that debate between him and Nicklaus. I think in most golfing circles Tiger is a distinct number 2 next to Jack. Tiger ultimately will be kind of a what would he have been if his career didn't go off track. He's definitely far and away the greatest of my lifetime. For me the best athletes in the major sports when I was alive would go something like Jordan, Brady, Tiger, Federer, Serena, and Bonds. But I think Bond's and Tiger aren't considered the GOAT as far as their sport. 

But yeah he was incredibly dominant and the best I've seen.

7 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

brady is not dominant. he is consistent.

8 Super Bowl appearance. 5 Super Bowls. The best QB season of all time. The first unanimous MVP. Far and away the best win percentage in the sport. Literally spent half his career in the Super Bowl and 75% of it in the AFCCG.

Consistent dominance. You have to go back to the 40's and 50's to get close to this.

Just now, lancerman said:

8 Super Bowl appearance. 5 Super Bowls. The best QB season of all time. The first unanimous MVP. Far and away the best win percentage in the sport. Literally spent half his career in the Super Bowl.

He's consistent. Consistently above average, which is a pretty good trait. The fact that he is mentioned with the other names in this thread is a mockery of sports.

1 minute ago, Oregon Ducks said:

He's consistent. Consistently above average, which is a pretty good trait. The fact that he is mentioned with the other names in this thread is a mockery of sports.

Wilt was more dominant as a single player than Jordan was ever. Russell was more dominant as a championship player than Jordan was ever. Lebron was more dominant of an athlete than Jordan was ever. Tiger is not the best golfer of all time according to most golf people. You ask most boxing historians and there is a 3 way tie between Ali/Lewis/Robbinson. 

Jordan's been in the Finals of the NBA 33% of his 18 year career. Brady's been in the final of his sport 50% of his 16 year career. It's harder to win Super Bowls than it is to win NBA Finals. 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I think Tiger is incredible, but there's always that debate between him and Nicklaus. I think in most golfing circles Tiger is a distinct number 2 next to Jack. Tiger ultimately will be kind of a what would he have been if his career didn't go off track. He's definitely far and away the greatest of my lifetime. For me the best athletes in the major sports when I was alive would go something like Jordan, Brady, Tiger, Federer, Serena, and Bonds. But I think Bond's and Tiger aren't considered the GOAT as far as their sport. 

But yeah he was incredibly dominant and the best I've seen.

Not to go completely off here but the competition of Jack and Tiger's era isn't comparable.  Niklaus won 18 majors and finished second 19 times.  Players that won multiple major's during Jack's playing career.

Gary Player - 9 majors

Tom Watson - 8 majors

Arnold Palmer - 7 majors

Lee Trevino - 6 majors

Seve Ballesteros - 5 majors

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Wilt was more dominant as a single player than Jordan was ever. Russell was more dominant as a championship player than Jordan was ever. Lebron was more dominant of an athlete than Jordan was ever. Tiger is not the best golfer of all time according to most golf people. You ask most boxing historians and there is a 3 way tie between Ali/Lewis/Robbinson. 

Jordan's been in the Finals of the NBA 33% of his 18 year career. Brady's been in the final of his sport 50% of his 16 year career. It's harder to win Super Bowls than it is to win NBA Finals. 

Not sure why you're trying to reason with that one. 

6 hours ago, lancerman said:

Whoa. 

there are like 30 teams in the nba.   russell played against 8-11 teams.   it's a different league.   i can't take the early 60's basketball seriously. 

90's NBA was great IMO.  Jazz were a great team.  93 suns were great team.  pacers and knicks were tough as nails.   the key word is a TEAM.  these guys knew how to play each other. and it was the last era of 'fundamentals'. players still stuck around 3+ years in college.  but with expansion teams, and high school players getting drafted made the NBA watered down starting around mid 90's and really peaked right after jordan retired. 

but game was physical, players were fundamentally sound, and jordan didn't have it easy.  those 6 game series were wars. 

and there are more 'bobby orr is better than gretzky' people than 'magic or russell is better than jordan' out there IMO.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/why-bobby-orr-is-simply-the-best

there are enough people actually argue Orr is better than gretzky unlike jordan where the debate really ended.  you will never hear magic > jordan.  magic himself won't argue that.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-was-great-but-bobby-orr-is-the-greatest-steve-simmons-ranks-the-nhls-100-best-players

i don't watch hockey anymore, but there are ton of hockey folks around me..   in hockey, stats aren't always end all be all.  

On 1/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Soccer I just can't get in to though.  It's fun to play, but I find it particularly boring to watch, unless it's a huge event like the World Cup.

How does one enjoy Cricket but not Soccer.  Jackie Chan mind-blown.

Archived