Will Tom Brady Become The Greatest...

mdonnelly21

143 members have voted

1. 1. If Tom Brady Wins A SB Will He Be The Greatest Sports Player Of All Time?

• Already is
    • Yes
    • No

If Brady wins his 6th (with him playing good) I don't think anybody can argue that he isn't the GOAT NFL player ever, although a small minority might argue Rice is the greatest NFL player of all time but they'd be wrong IMO. But to say he is the greatest player of team sports of all time, that's a different discussion, an endless one at that...he has a lot of competition and it would probably just come down sport bias.

7 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

We've never seen longevity like this from an individual player in a team sport.  Maybe Kareem but he was just "hanging on" near the end and riding Magic's coattails.  Brady could win a SB 16 years apart. 

you yanquis are so naive lmao 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/4188.html

and from that same site

The most famous number, of course, is his Test average, which is 64% better than the next-best (with a cut-off of 2000 runs). That alone shows how much better Bradman has been than anyone who has ever played the game. Comparing the overall batting numbers during his time with the corresponding number today further illustrates this point: in the 20 years in which Bradman played his Test cricket, the overall batting average was 31.85; in the 21 years since Sachin Tendulkar's Test debut, the overall batting average in 845 Tests is 31.07. Restricting this only to top-order batsmen (batsmen in the top six of a line-up) also throws up similar numbers - 39.99 during Bradman's time (1928 to 1948), and 38.40 during Tendulkar's (November 1989 onwards).

i think the greatest sportsperson of all time is undoubtedly wayne gretzky by a metric mile and it's not even close. but y'all don't forget the don

8 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

We've never seen longevity like this from an individual player in a team sport.  Maybe Kareem but he was just "hanging on" near the end and riding Magic's coattails.  Brady could win a SB 16 years apart. 

Quarterbacks are playing a lot longer than they used to though due to rule benefits, guys having better resources and awareness as far as their health and nutrition are concerned. Also medical tech. If this was the 1980s I don't think Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, or Manning would be playing all pro level football into their late 30's or early 40's. This is one aspect of era coming into play.

Thinking back to 25 or 30 years ago, I can only think of one quarterback that had a good iron man streak going, and that was Favre. Montana, Fouts, Moon, Elway, Marino, Kelly, Young, Aikman, all missed time with various injuries. Also, most were done by their mid 30's. Now you have a lot of guys playing longer, and making more starts.

11 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Quarterbacks are playing a lot longer than they used to though due to rule benefits, guys having better resources and awareness as far as their health and nutrition are concerned. Also medical tech. If this was the 1980s I don't think Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, or Manning would be playing all pro level football into their late 30's or early 40's. This is one aspect of era coming into play.

Its actually kind of surprising more guys haven't done what Brady has done.  If you think about it, Sammy Baugh retired at 38.  Johnny Unitas retired at 40.  Fran Tarkenton at 38.   Why would we expect, with all the advances in medicine and training in the last 40-60 years and rules to protect the quarterback, that we couldn't have a player play well into their 40s? 

6 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Its actually kind of surprising more guys haven't done what Brady has done.  If you think about it, Sammy Baugh retired at 38.  Johnny Unitas retired at 40.  Fran Tarkenton at 38.   Why would we expect, with all the advances in medicine and training in the last 40-60 years and rules to protect the quarterback, that we couldn't have a player play well into their 40s? 

Not sure what you mean.

7 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Brady's the first guy to really have a chance to play into his 40s having spent with majority of his career with the full benefit of these rules. I'm sure there will be more in the coming decade.

Just now, Starless said:

Brady's the first guy to really have a chance to play into his 40s having spent with majority of his career with the full benefit of these rules. I'm sure there will be more in the coming decade.

Definitely, its just weird that hasn't happened sooner.  38-40 has always been the max age for QBs going back 60 years.  Training has been getting better continuously for 60 years and we're finally now seeing someone push past that cliff.

33 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Thinking back to 25 or 30 years ago, I can only think of one quarterback that had a good iron man streak going, and that was Favre. Montana, Fouts, Moon, Elway, Marino, Kelly, Young, Aikman, all missed time with various injuries. Also, most were done by their mid 30's. Now you have a lot of guys playing longer, and making more starts.

I mean Moon did. Marino played into his late 30's as well. 

Calling any player "the greatest sports player of all time" is meaningless hyperbole. Tom Brady hasn't played all the other positions in football, nor has he played Major League Baseball (though he could have gone down that road if he chose), basketball, soccer, hockey, etc. Most stars play only one position in one sport in one era, so it doesn't make any sense to compare them. He is the greatest quarterback in NFL history, I think, and that label is quite sufficient.

12 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Marino wasn't dominant like he used to be though at that point. Moon especially was missing time with injuries, and finished as a backup on the Chiefs.

Okay Peyton Manning was like 38 when he had one of his best seasons. Moon was still good in his later years even if he had injuries. Favre was fantastic at a late age and 07 and 09 were some great years. I mean you could legitimately argue 2009 up against his MVP seasons in the 90's. This isn't the first time we've seen people play around this age. It's more just the first time we've seen someone consistently play at a high level on a year in and year out basis at this age. And I think a big piece of that is that from 2008-2013 there was a bit more turbulence with an injury, coming back from an injury, new pieces, old pieces leaving. While 2014-present Brady's had a pretty stable cast of characters on the offensive side and the same coordinator. 

6 hours ago, lancerman said:

Okay Peyton Manning was like 38 when he had one of his best seasons. Moon was still good in his later years even if he had injuries. Favre was fantastic at a late age and 07 and 09 were some great years. I mean you could legitimately argue 2009 up against his MVP seasons in the 90's. This isn't the first time we've seen people play around this age. It's more just the first time we've seen someone consistently play at a high level on a year in and year out basis at this age. And I think a big piece of that is that from 2008-2013 there was a bit more turbulence with an injury, coming back from an injury, new pieces, old pieces leaving. While 2014-present Brady's had a pretty stable cast of characters on the offensive side and the same coordinator. 

Well, it's not just Brady. Brees is playing just as well and is nearly 40. Two guys doing that this late into their careers without missing time would be unheard of in the 80s and 90s. Guys just took way more hits without defenders letting up in fear of being penalized. Guys today also work out on their bodies and craft year round.

Archived