Will Tom Brady Become The Greatest...

mdonnelly21

143 members have voted

1. 1. If Tom Brady Wins A SB Will He Be The Greatest Sports Player Of All Time?

• Already is
    • Yes
    • No

9 minutes ago, lancerman said:

To me it's hard to put any team sport athlete as the GOAT. 

Tell me why Jordan or Gretzky should be above Ali or Phelps or Federer. There's no reason. Jordan's not the best stat guy and for his wins he was on the most stacked team of his era with the best coach of his era. Gretzky is the best in stats in his sport however by a wide margin. But again, team sport.

I mean, all of those guys have valid arguments.  It's just that Tom Brady doesn't.

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

I mean, all of those guys have valid arguments.  It's just that Tom Brady doesn't.

Brady definitely does. In Brady's sport in his era his position has about as much impact as a star basketball player does. If you took the worst team in the league and gave them an elite QB they'd be about 7-9 or 8-8 at worst. That's essentially what the Bulls were at when you gave them Jordan his first few years. There's no other position in the league that give a team that much of an advantage. This board has a fetish for pass rusher in yet this year the 15-1 Cleveland Browns took the best pass rusher in the draft and went 0-16. The Texans had one of the best teams outside of QB in the  league the last several years and were just barely making the playoffs. 

So Brady plays the most important and impactful position his sport. For a player he's going to finish in the top 3 at worst in every meaningful stat, he has far and away the best win percentage of any player, is going to put the win record for a player completely out of reach by anyone by the time he retires,  he has the most championships and championship appearances of the modern era, his playoff records will never be broken, he put up what many consider to be the best single season at his position, has the only unanimous MVP in league history, will likely be the only player at his position to make two seperate all decade teams, was in the championship game 50% of his career, and the semi final game 75% of his career. 

Anybody who thinks he doesn't have a valid argument is just using something arbitrary to hold against him. 

And as far as your point about Jordan or Gretzky being above Ali/Phelps/Federer.... I'm sorry that's crap. Those 3 guys had to do EVERY ASPECT of their sport by themselves. Jordan on his best day had share the court with 5 other players and he wasn't on the court the whole game. Ali did everything himself, didn't have anyone help him, and fought every second of every round he of every fight he was in. Jordan has no argument over him as an athlete. Let alone the nature of their sports. It's completely ridiculous to compare team sport athletes to individual sport athletes. 

On 28/01/2018 at 2:04 PM, Shady Slim said:

you yanquis are so naive lmao 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/4188.html

and from that same site

The most famous number, of course, is his Test average, which is 64% better than the next-best (with a cut-off of 2000 runs). That alone shows how much better Bradman has been than anyone who has ever played the game. Comparing the overall batting numbers during his time with the corresponding number today further illustrates this point: in the 20 years in which Bradman played his Test cricket, the overall batting average was 31.85; in the 21 years since Sachin Tendulkar's Test debut, the overall batting average in 845 Tests is 31.07. Restricting this only to top-order batsmen (batsmen in the top six of a line-up) also throws up similar numbers - 39.99 during Bradman's time (1928 to 1948), and 38.40 during Tendulkar's (November 1989 onwards).

i think the greatest sportsperson of all time is undoubtedly wayne gretzky by a metric mile and it's not even close. but y'all don't forget the don

@LieutenantGains already got u covered but nobody responded lol

9 hours ago, showtime said:

When it's all said and done, Brady might be the consensus best football player of all-time.  To me, it's really hard to put him above guys like Michael Jordan.  Brady has similar amount of championships, other accolades, certainly has the longevity.  The problem with Brady, to me is, he was accused and punished for cheating.  Regardless of whether or not someone thinks he is guilty or innocent, the commissioner of the league Brady plays in thought it was appropriate enough to drag the accusation forward.  Brady is the face of the NFL and certainly the most recognizable name/player and the league witch hunted him.  

It's such a huge black mark on his resume.  He is still playing, so people are more focused on the championships, MVP's and stats, but once he retires the cheating allegations will constantly be brought up and it's valid.  Michael Jordan was never accused of being a cheater by anymore.

I never really put much stock in the whole cheating allegations, but in this argument, you do have a point, and they should certainly be considered.

Brady, if he wins his 6th, definitely should be in the discussion of the GOAT of all GOATs...just for the plain fact that he is, hands down, the GOAT of his sport. He is behind Jordan and Gretzky in my book though...team sports only.

8 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

these americans, they refuse to believe sports they don't play exist

and while it's the right attitude to have for soccer, which sucks a long dong, it is not for cricket

I enjoy all sports, and I think most Americans would if exposed to them.  But we grew up around sports like Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, and can more intelligently discuss those sports.  I enjoy watching sports like Cricket and Rugby online though.

Soccer I just can't get in to though.  It's fun to play, but I find it particularly boring to watch, unless it's a huge event like the World Cup.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I enjoy all sports, and I think most Americans would if exposed to them.  But we grew up around sports like Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, and can more intelligently discuss those sports.  I enjoy watching sports like Cricket and Rugby online though.

Soccer I just can't get in to though.  It's fun to play, but I find it particularly boring to watch, unless it's a huge event like the World Cup.

I have tried to get into soccer over a dozen times and I just cannot do it, it's like the wiring in my brain refuses to like soccer at all lol. I will watch the World Cup matches though, especially the Final.

3 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

yeah it was a bit tongue in cheek but i do think a lot of american sports fans close their eyes and start shouting nyeh when people talk about some "foreign sports"

i agree with u wholeheartedly about soccer but would like to note the last world cup final sucked so much lmao

47 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

In terms of career accomplishments when it comes to championships, Brady will go down in history as the most decorated NFL player ever.

But he won't ever surpass Michael Jordan in terms of a global appeal.

And Jordan won't surpass Ali

Archived