Ideas for the NFL to increase parity

paul-mac

The NFL has a parity problem. It’s ridiculous that in a league designed for parity the Patriots can be making the conference championship 7 years in a row, so we need some rule changes to increase parity. I have a few ideas.

1. Reallocate the salary cap: The players and owners negotiate that X% of League revenue goes into player salaries in the CBA. This number is currently divided by 32 to give the salary cap. Maybe poorer performing teams should be given more money and the Patriots less.

2. Draft considerations: At the moment we have a full first round of draft picks before the worst team picks again. Maybe we should have the top 20 picks (non playoff teams) and then the top 20 teams pick AGAIN (40 picks today) and then the non playoff teams get two picks each (so we’ve had 64 picks) and then carry on as normal 

@paul-mac Must say, you've been a wee bit pathetic today with your 'break Solder's nose' nonsense, and now this whinge. You are usually much better than that. As for parity, this season had never seen such parity through the first half. Only 8 teams or so weren't between 4 and 6 wins at one point. Pats keep winning because the coaches are f brilliant. It's up to other coaches to find out how to beat them. That's sport isn't it? The reason we like sport is because it's a meritocracy. No one should be allowed free wins, you have to earn it. 

If the Patriots had stacked rosters since 2011 it would be one thing, but they don't. This isn't the Golden State Warriors or Miami Hear Super teams. 

The team has a great QB and one super elite skilled player in Gronk. And even Gronk got injured at points in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2016. Defensively over that stretch of time they've lost great players like Spikes, Revis, Wilfork, Mayo, Collins, and Jones. Offensively in that time frame they've lost Welker and Hernandez who were super high level at their position. 

Even with the draft dude, the Browns just went 0-16 after entering last years draft with the 1 and 12. Which is significantly better than the position most teams would be in with the chenge you are suggesting. 

The Patriots just manage their roster very well and their coach and QB are capable of masking weaknesses and excentuating strengths. 

I think parity is fine

It's basically a lotto system for QBs mixed with what a good head coach can do.
And it's cyclical..some coaches message wears thin after a good start, and the process starts anew.

The Patriots nailed it with a HoF QB and HoF Coach...they've been plenty beatable, but their division has continued to fail at building competition.
As has the AFC as a whole. The AFC has really been boring as far as playoff teams the last decade and a half...it's almost always the same teams.

Was up to them to git gud, and they failed.

17 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@paul-mac Must say, you've been a wee bit pathetic today with your 'break Solder's nose' nonsense, and now this whinge. You are usually much better than that. As for parity, this season had never seen such parity through the first half. Only 8 teams or so weren't between 4 and 6 wins at one point. Pats keep winning because the coaches are f brilliant. It's up to other coaches to find out how to beat them. That's sport isn't it? The reason we like sport is because it's a meritocracy. No one should be allowed free wins, you have to earn it. 

Yeah I apologise for the Solder comment I was a little drunk and angry but I think one of the reasons the NFL is losing popularity is that people are bored of the same team winning every year, so more parity would be a good thing. 

22 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Yeah I apologise for the Solder comment I was a little drunk and angry but I think one of the reasons the NFL is losing popularity is that people are bored of the same team winning every year, so more parity would be a good thing. 

I thought this year there was unprecedented parity around half way. We've seen new teams reach the playoffs, and I still would be surprised if this Pats team won the superbowl. I'm picking Vikings, so that would spice it up. Jags may even make SB. 

25 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think parity is fine

It's basically a lotto system for QBs mixed with what a good head coach can do.
And it's cyclical..some coaches message wears thin after a good start, and the process starts anew.

The Patriots nailed it with a HoF QB and HoF Coach...they've been plenty beatable, but their division has continued to fail at building competition.
As has the AFC as a whole. The AFC has really been boring as far as playoff teams the last decade and a half...it's almost always the same teams.

Was up to them to git gud, and they failed.

The AFC was significantly stronger than the NFC up to about 2008. And even after that I'd argue the Patriots and Broncos were very good to the point where there was never a point where more than one of two NFC teams was better than them. The AFC just has more consistency with its best teams, while the NFC is more malleable

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

The AFC was significantly stronger than the NFC up to about 2008. And even after that I'd argue the Patriots and Broncos were very good to the point where there was never a point where more than one of two NFC teams was better than them. The AFC just has more consistency with its best teams, while the NFC is more malleable

I totally agree, but it was always the same teams, always with the same problems.

Colts for a large part of the "Brady Era", texans sometimes in the playoff but they always limped there in pitiful fashion.

Steelers were usually there, with the up and down Ravens who were one of the teams who always seemed to play the Pats well. Bengals were like the Texans,  quick exits.

And up until the Broncos a couple years ago, the Raiders at the very beginning of the Brady era were the only team that ever did anything. 

In their division you got a couple of years out of the Jets and that was it. Has largely been a caravan of garbage for nearing two decades.
A lot of bad shortcuts, a lot of questionable decisions. Feels like they were always gifted the division

Archived