NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

At this point, do we want Jordy back?  He's just going to take snaps away from MVS and ESB.  He'd be a temporary bandaid at best.

I do.  More importantly, I think #12 does.

You are right, though.

Athletically, he takes talent off of the field.

But what he takes off, we gain a lot more in veteran savvy.  I'd like him as a third down slot receiver and red zone receiver.

I think he would cure most of what ills Rodgers.  

And if he doesn't want to play, or if we don't want him to play.  Well, then let's sign him as an assistant coach, just so he can be on the sideline with Rodgers.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I do.  More importantly, I think #12 does.

You are right, though.

Athletically, he takes talent off of the field.

But what he takes off, we gain a lot more in veteran savvy.  I'd like him as a third down slot receiver and red zone receiver.

I think he would cure most of what ills Rodgers.  

And if he doesn't want to play, or if we don't want him to play.  Well, then let's sign him as an assistant coach, just so he can be on the sideline with Rodgers.

We're talking about a QB (Rodgers) who fixates on his favorite targets.  If you think ESB and MVS aren't getting a significant amount of targets, what do you think happens if the Packers were to sign him?  Those targets are going to dry up real quick.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're talking about a QB (Rodgers) who fixates on his favorite targets.  If you think ESB and MVS aren't getting a significant amount of targets, what do you think happens if the Packers were to sign him?  Those targets are going to dry up real quick.

I would be willing to guess that is one reason the team moved on from Jordy.

My belief is the team made a conscious decision to go into the season with the less experienced talent as part of a longer term plan, and was willing to accept the natural consequences for the offense of doing that.

Like I have said, this is a building year folks.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm unsure about Rodgers fixates on his favorite targets as you say above....  This past game, I think Jimmy Graham got one catch, was he targeted more?  Adams with 4 catches?  But... if your point is that reps for Jordy means less reps and potentially less targets for ESB and MVS...then yes, you would be right.  And I"d argue that is a good thing.

Jordy will get open, especially out of the slot.

Rodgers trusts him and he will keep the sticks moving.  

Jordy will score touchdowns.

Those young receivers will learn from watching #87.  You saw/heard Rodgers telling MVS "Two Steps", on a play in which Rodgers looked to throw a ball at his feet.  Would be nice if Jordy were there to reinforce that, both in practice and on the sidelines.  Takes some of that pressure away from Rodgers.

ESB is doing much of anything anyway...he's gotten his rookie reps, it wouldn't be a bad thing for him to sit and watch a pro do some work.

I would not take snaps away from MVS for Jordy as to me, they would play different positions.  Jordy underneath and in the slot could open MVS up farther down the field.

I see it like this, excluding Cobb and Allison, which is the better offense?  Rodgers, Jones, Adams, Graham, MVS, ESB   or Rodgers, Jones, Adams, Graham, MVS, Nelson?  I think you are fooling yourself if you think that ESB is better for the offense than Nelson.

I don't know how adding a weapon to your offense is a bad thing, especially when two guys who knew the system have been unable to play (Cobb, Allison).  I would think that if Jordy were to finagle his release, he would be a welcome addition to that WR room right about now.  It could be just the jolt that this offense needs.

And if not?  As posted...bring him home and offer him a coaches job.  Cool thing about Jordy is that he wasn't very good as a rookie.  He worked his butt off.  He developed.  He matured.  He could teach those kids a lot.

20 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I would be willing to guess that is one reason the team moved on from Jordy.

My belief is the team made a conscious decision to go into the season with the less experienced talent as part of a longer term plan, and was willing to accept the natural consequences for the offense of doing that.

Like I have said, this is a building year folks.

I said that before and got ripped pretty good on here.

But in this rebuilding year, if we can somehow beat Seattle, MInny and Chicago, all of a sudden, GB is right back into it.

And when the release happened, I can't help but think the front office thought Cobb had something left.  Well...he really doesn't.  So, put Cobb on IR and bring back Jordy for the remainder of the season.  I see no harm in that.  

It isn't like a potential move like that could hurt this offense, it already looks clunky and that is putting it mildly.

If it’s in the cards, how Cobb has looked this season, you’d be crazy to prefer Cobb over Nelson in that slot role.  If there was somehow a way to get jordy active and Cobb on IR, take that to the bank all day, it’s a no brainer.  Jordy was and is the better WR.  Will he take ESB snaps? Probably, but certainly not MVS.  Those young rookies would gain a lot with jordy in the locker room.  I highly doubt the wheels have fallen completely off jordy. 

Edited by HeresAGuy

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I said that before and got ripped pretty good on here.

But in this rebuilding year, if we can somehow beat Seattle, MInny and Chicago, all of a sudden, GB is right back into it.

And when the release happened, I can't help but think the front office thought Cobb had something left.  Well...he really doesn't.  So, put Cobb on IR and bring back Jordy for the remainder of the season.  I see no harm in that.  

It isn't like a potential move like that could hurt this offense, it already looks clunky and that is putting it mildly.

The bolded part is better than me.  I say it and nobody is listening, LOL.

I think we still can be in it, but I think we are going to have to do it on the backs of MVS and EQ developing, and Rodgers admitting that running the ball can help him get the passing game where he wants it.  

I just don't see the Raiders releasing Jordy so he can Martellus Bennett them.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He could teach those kids a lot.

He can go and do whatever he wants with his life:  he's earned the cash, the respect, the honors, The Ring.
Why on earth would he want to work 12 hour coaching days teaching young punks how to be professionals when he can pull cow teats all morning and then take a nice long nap.... followed by sipping some 30 year old libations in front of a crackling campfire ?  

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

He can go and do whatever he wants with his life:  he's earned the cash, the respect, the honors, The Ring.
Why on earth would he want to work 12 hour coaching days teaching young punks how to be professionals when he can pull cow teats all morning and then take a nice long nap.... followed by sipping some 30 year old libations in front of a crackling campfire ?  

You make too much sense sometimes.

:)

My response would be simple...he loves football and I think he is close with #12.  The only reason to leave the farm would be to spend time with your friend while coaching the game that you love.

But perhaps the love of the farm and family trump the love of the game.

13 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

ITT: A lot of people who haven't watched Jordy Nelson play this year

This.  Jordy is washed.  Helluva career but he’s done.  If we weren’t bringing him back last off-season, why on earth would we bring him back now?  Thankfully, Gute won’t let nostalgia interfere with his job.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm unsure about Rodgers fixates on his favorite targets as you say above....  This past game, I think Jimmy Graham got one catch, was he targeted more?  Adams with 4 catches?  But... if your point is that reps for Jordy means less reps and potentially less targets for ESB and MVS...then yes, you would be right.  And I"d argue that is a good thing.

Jordy will get open, especially out of the slot.

Rodgers trusts him and he will keep the sticks moving.  

Jordy will score touchdowns.

Those young receivers will learn from watching #87.  You saw/heard Rodgers telling MVS "Two Steps", on a play in which Rodgers looked to throw a ball at his feet.  Would be nice if Jordy were there to reinforce that, both in practice and on the sidelines.  Takes some of that pressure away from Rodgers.

ESB is doing much of anything anyway...he's gotten his rookie reps, it wouldn't be a bad thing for him to sit and watch a pro do some work.

I would not take snaps away from MVS for Jordy as to me, they would play different positions.  Jordy underneath and in the slot could open MVS up farther down the field.

I see it like this, excluding Cobb and Allison, which is the better offense?  Rodgers, Jones, Adams, Graham, MVS, ESB   or Rodgers, Jones, Adams, Graham, MVS, Nelson?  I think you are fooling yourself if you think that ESB is better for the offense than Nelson.

I don't know how adding a weapon to your offense is a bad thing, especially when two guys who knew the system have been unable to play (Cobb, Allison).  I would think that if Jordy were to finagle his release, he would be a welcome addition to that WR room right about now.  It could be just the jolt that this offense needs.

And if not?  As posted...bring him home and offer him a coaches job.  Cool thing about Jordy is that he wasn't very good as a rookie.  He worked his butt off.  He developed.  He matured.  He could teach those kids a lot.

Anyone remember how many targets Jared Cook got in the first half of the season?  In Cook's first 7 games with the Packers, he averaged 4.3 targets per game which was highly inflated by his game against Washington when he got 11 attempts.  In his final 6 games with Green Bay, he averaged 8.8 targets per game.    What's more likely, Aaron finally trusted Jared Cook to throw to him or that Jared Cook's talent level suddenly jumped?  It's clearly the former.

As for Jordy Nelson, he's clearly a shell of his former self.  Let me ask you this, are we any less of with MVS than we would have been with Jordy Nelson?  I mean, go compare MVS this year to Jordy Nelson last year.

MVS: 23 receptions, 402 receiving yards, 2 TD receptions, 39 targets (9 games)
Jordy: 53 receptions, 482 receiving yards, 6 TD receptions, 88 targets (15 games)
MVS: 38 receptions, 670 receiving yards, 3 TD receptions, 65 targets (15 game extrapolation)

MVS is on pace to be a significantly more productive receiver than Jordy Nelson was last year.  Let that soak in.  Hell, Geronimo Allison has been more productive than Jordy Nelson this year.

Jordy: 25 receptions, 353 receiving yards, 3 TD receptions, 39 targets (9 games)
Geronimo: 20 receptions, 303 receiving yards, 2 TD receptions, 30 targets (5 games)
MVS: 23 receptions, 402 receiving yards, 2 TD receptions, 39 targets (9 games)
Geronimo: 36 receptions, 545 receiving yards, 4 TD receptions, 54 targets (9 game extrapolation)

Hell, I could probably make an argument that ESB on a per target basis is more productive than Jordy Nelson.

Jordy: 25 receptions, 353 receiving yards, 3 TD receptions, 39 targets (9 games)
ESB: 23 receptions, 380 receiving yards, 9 TD receptions, 39 targets (9 games extrapolation w/ Jordy targets)

At best, he's a marginal upgrade over ESB right now.  But long-term, he's not part of our plan.  I'd rather give those snaps to ESB and figure out what we have in him than go back and get Jordy Nelson.  And I love Jordy Nelson and everything he's done for this franchise.  But he's done.  Jordy Nelson is a shell of his self.  He might be a marginal upgrade this year, but looking the bigger picture I'd rather give those snaps to ESB than Nelson.

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

This.  Jordy is washed.  Helluva career but he’s done.  If we weren’t bringing him back last off-season, why on earth would we bring him back now?  Thankfully, Gute won’t let nostalgia interfere with his job.

I mean, even if you think his 2017 season was a fluke.  His production has dropped off drastically.  He's not a starting-caliber WR at this point in his career.

Making a similar comparison, we brought James Jones back.  He wasnt nearly the WR he was after we brought him back, but he still had plenty of utility and we got plays out of him.  Jordy Nelson is a better WR here and now than what James Jones was when we brought him back under the same circumstances.  For whatever reason, we kept Cobb, who has been mediocre at best this year and similarly unable to stay healthy.  What exactly is it that Cobb does that is better than Nelson?  Theyre pretty similar right now in their career trajectories.