NFL News & Notes

Leader

Feel like Jordy on a vet minimum contract would be a net positive on getting the young guys caught up with Rodgers, and may very well be an easy transition into coaching for him, if he has any interest in it. 

Don't think the Raiders would waive his rights if he wanted to come back and could still play, but who knows with Gruden.

1 hour ago, hoekd0250 said:

Can we do it just so Rodgers becomes a more positive player having his guy back. Jordy can become what driver was in his last season here and coach the young guys, while maybe returning kickoffs and punts. 

Jordy Nelson kickoffs and punts?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but you made the argument that him getting healthy was the reason for his improvements.  I made the argument that him getting to know the offense.  Cook should have been able to jump in immediately and make an impact, but Rodgers wouldn't throw it to him.

No doubt.  But you can't make a straight comparison when one player is given a TON of opportunities to produce and the other one is getting buried by veterans making more money.  It's just merely an opportunity to compare.

Can we both be right concerning Cook?  No one comes into Mac's scheme and gets it right away.  Veterans can and do pick it up quicker, but expecting results immediately is kind of foolish.  I remember the kid getting hurt, pretty quick in the year, and it was frustrating because he looked the part on the field.  And absolutely he made a huge impact at the end of the year and in the playoffs as he became healthy and more acclimated to the offense and Rodgers.

Which is where I think you are at with ESB.  I think your stance is that ESB, as a rookie, will now surpass what we could get on offense from the Jordy that we all know now.  And I think we disagree on that.  I think the veteran who knows the system and really, really knows Rodgers will outperform the rookie who has a better skillset, but very little grasp of the offense and little to no connection with Rodgers.

And you know what?  There is one guy that can make your argument a winning one.  Rodgers.  ESB, if he is to remain on the field, needs opportunities.  You are right in that Nelson would take opportunities away from him.  

I'm in no way, shape or form arguing about the future concerning ESB and Nelson, only the very present, as in 2-3 games, GB could be all but done anyway.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Can we both be right concerning Cook?  No one comes into Mac's scheme and gets it right away. 

Coming into GB's offense as a TE is really hard because not only do you have to learn all the nuances of a passing game called from the LOS, you also have to learn all of the run game responsibilities too. And the QB changes them in the blink of an eye. Its a tall task for any offensive player, but TE's get a double dose. And if you have a bad wheel, then you aren't getting reps with the OL in the run game or reps with QB1 in the pass game, making your assimilation into an up tempo offense an even greater challenge

Teams looking to upgrade their offense in 2019 have few skill position options.

Le'Veon Bell
Marshawn Lynch
Mark Ingram
Golden Tate
Devin Funchess
Randall Cobb
Donte Moncrief
Tyler Eifert
Jared Cook

IND/NYJ/BUF/CLE/OAK/HOU will have ton of cap space.

Le'Veon will get paid.

Week 11 "Pulling To Win" List:
Green Bay over Seattle
Dallas over Atlanta
Detroit over Carolina
Houston over Washington
Philadelphia over New Orleans
Minnesota over Chicago
Kansas City over Los Angeles

NFC North Standings:
1. Chicago 6 - 3
2. Minnesota 5 - 3 - 1
3. Green Bay 4 - 4 - 1
4. Detroit 3 - 6

NFC Playoff Standings:
1. Los Angeles Rams 9 - 1
2. New Orleans Saints 8 - 1
3. Chicago Bears 6 - 3
4. Washington Redskins 6 - 3
5. Carolina Panthers 6 - 3
6. Minnesota Vikings 5 - 3 - 1

7. Green Bay Packers 4 - 4 - 1
8. Atlanta Falcons 4 - 5
9. Seattle Seahawks 4 - 5
10. Dallas Cowboys  4 - 5
11. Philadelphia Eagles 4 - 5

12 - 16
Tampa Bay Bucs
Detroit Lions
Arizona Cardinals
New York Giants
San Francisco 49ers

Edited by Leader

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's not as simple as always rooting for AFC teams to win.  At this point, you want the Rams to win out to keep their head to head victory over us interfering with a potential wildcard.  Same with Washington.  

I'm not playing any "wildcard" angles. I want to win the Division. We'll see where things stand and let the chip fall where they may then.
Btw - I'm not simply picking AFC teams to beat NFC teams. I'm hoping NFC teams with better records than ours - lose. Draw them back to us in the overall standings.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I'm not playing any "wildcard" angles. I want to win the Division. We'll see where things stand and let the chip fall where they may then.
Btw - I'm not simply picking AFC teams to beat NFC teams. I'm hoping NFC teams with better records than ours - lose. Draw them back to us in the overall standings.

Granted.  I want the division, too.  I also want to win the lottery, but I don't put all my eggs in that basket and I work a full time job and invest my money and I diversify.  We have to hope for alternatives in case we don't win the division, so we definitely want the Redskins to win that division.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It's not as simple as always rooting for AFC teams to win.  At this point, you want the Rams to win out to keep their head to head victory over us interfering with a potential wildcard.  Same with Washington.  

One of the few silver linings of the Minnesota game is that I haven't spent any time worrying about tiebreakers all year. Sure, we could tie Minnesota again or another NFC team could tie a game and end up tied with us, but it seems pretty unlikely.

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Granted.  I want the division, too.  I also want to win the lottery, but I don't put all my eggs in that basket and I work a full time job and invest my money and I diversify.  We have to hope for alternatives in case we don't win the division, so we definitely want the Redskins to win that division.

I'm not breaking rocks over this. Outside of NOLA and the LAR - everybody's packed tight. There's lots of games left and lots of "alternatives" - so I'm taking it a week at a time and keeping it simple. I want us to win (we need to start ripping off some wins) and have the teams ahead of us lose - till we can play them head to head and hopefully beat them.

That doesnt happen - we dont start putting some wins together - it wont matter what anybody else does. There's a whole pack of "good" teams right behind us. We keep treading water - they'll pass us by.

You've got the long view? You've got all the "alternatives" figured? Fine. Post it. I'll take a look. Till then, I'll keep it simple.