NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 11/23/2018 at 12:27 PM, Leader said:

This I believe to be true and I'd be interested to hear come possible remedies or proposed solutions - but even a a believer in workman's compensation - I find 71M a fairly hefty price for an organization to have to put out as reward for nothing more services rendered (primarily) to a different organization, signing a contract and playing a few games. 

Granted, QB contracts probably stand a good chance to be the extreme of this circumstance - but still.

True enough that Smith is a poor example of a player being screwed by a non-guaranteed contract.  That being said, the amount of fake money in a typical NFL contract after the rookie deal is crazy.  The structure of NFL contracts is easily the most absurd of any major sport.

I think Baker Mayfield is out of line with his continued "rant" against Hue Jackson.

I dont get his b**** with / about Jackson taking a job with Cinncinnatti.
If I'm not mistaken, Jackson was fired by Cleveland.....so why's Mayfield taking it so personal and coming out against him on social media?

"Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield said Wednesday that he has no regrets about calling former coach Hue Jackson "fake," and he snapped back at those who questioned his maturity. "People get maturity confused with me being 100 percent comfortable in my own skin," Mayfield said. "So that's absolutely how I am. I've always been that way. It's not immature. It's me being exactly who I am every day, being that same guy for our team, and I think that's very important right now."

Mayfield acknowledged that he referred to Jackson as "fake," but he declined to explain why. "There were just things that happened inside the building that I'm not going to get into detail with," Mayfield said Wednesday. "It's in-house information."

Baker Mayfield acknowledged that he understands it's tough to put the word "fake" in the public realm without elaborating, but he still declined to say more.

"I get it," he said, "but I don't have to go into details. That's how it works."

Mayfield said he's going to state his opinion, that he always has, and that nobody should be surprised when he does.

Typical. Publicly take off after somebody that cant respond in kind and base your comments on "inside the building" events that he cant (or wont) go into detail about.

If thats the case, then keep your mouth shut. Grow up.

Quotes from ESPN

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think Baker Mayfield is out of line with his continued "rant" against Hue Jackson.

I dont get his b**** with / about Jackson taking a job with Cinncinnatti.
If I'm not mistaken, Jackson was fired by Cleveland.....so why's Mayfield taking it so personal and coming out against him on social media?

"Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield said Wednesday that he has no regrets about calling former coach Hue Jackson "fake," and he snapped back at those who questioned his maturity. "People get maturity confused with me being 100 percent comfortable in my own skin," Mayfield said. "So that's absolutely how I am. I've always been that way. It's not immature. It's me being exactly who I am every day, being that same guy for our team, and I think that's very important right now."

Mayfield acknowledged that he referred to Jackson as "fake," but he declined to explain why. "There were just things that happened inside the building that I'm not going to get into detail with," Mayfield said Wednesday. "It's in-house information."

Baker Mayfield acknowledged that he understands it's tough to put the word "fake" in the public realm without elaborating, but he still declined to say more.

"I get it," he said, "but I don't have to go into details. That's how it works."

Mayfield said he's going to state his opinion, that he always has, and that nobody should be surprised when he does.

Typical. Publicly take off after somebody that cant respond in kind and base your comments on "inside the building" events that he cant (or wont) go into detail about.

If thats the case, then keep your mouth shut. Grow up.

Quotes from ESPN

Counterpoint: Hue Jackson is the worst as evidenced by the fact that no one on the Browns wanted to talk to him after the game. That was a lot of cold shoulders, for a guy who supposedly did nothing.

I say this is as someone who really doesn't like Baker Mayfield.

On a related note: If you want to laugh your *** off, "Baker Mayfield DUI Tackle Dashcam" is an amazing thing to Google.

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Counterpoint: Hue Jackson is the worst as evidenced by the fact that no one on the Browns wanted to talk to him after the game. That was a lot of cold shoulders, for a guy who supposedly did nothing. I say this is as someone who really doesn't like Baker Mayfield. On a related note: If you want to laugh your *** off, "Baker Mayfield DUI Tackle Dashcam" is an amazing thing to Google.

Understood - but I'm not taking Jackson's side in any of this. I've no clue what happened or didnt inside that locker room and honestly dont care.

I'm just a bit tired of people taking off after others - with all the bravado that social media affords them - when they wont be specific about the "why" of it and KNOW the person they're targeting cant respond. The sign of a real tough guy. A true leader.

The "fall back?" I've got an opinion and the right to express it.

Gee. Cant tell you how impressed I am.

Edited by Leader

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood - but I'm not taking Jackson's side in any of this. I've no clue what happened or didnt inside that locker room and honestly dont care.

I'm just a bit tired of people taking off after others - with all the bravado that social media affords them - when they wont be specific about the "why" of it and KNOW the person they're targeting cant respond. The sign of a real tough guy. A true leader.

The "fall back?" I've got an opinion and the right to express it.

Gee. Cant tell you how impressed I am.

Agreed that taking pot shots on Twitter is stupid. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Counterpoint: Hue Jackson is the worst as evidenced by the fact that no one on the Browns wanted to talk to him after the game. That was a lot of cold shoulders, for a guy who supposedly did nothing.

I say this is as someone who really doesn't like Baker Mayfield.

On a related note: If you want to laugh your *** off, "Baker Mayfield DUI Tackle Dashcam" is an amazing thing to Google.

Someone get that tackler into camp..........full extension and wrap up to the ground. and he managed to not put his entire body weight on Mayfield.

On 11/24/2018 at 3:08 AM, Leader said:

Is their anyone other than Brees in the running for MVP?

On 11/24/2018 at 9:55 AM, incognito_man said:

Mahomes

I think Luck has entered into that conversation.  He's putting that team on his back and they are performing well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think Luck has entered into that conversation.  He's putting that team on his back and they are performing well.

This is true - but I think him a better fit for the "Comeback Player" award. Would seem to fit his circumstance perfectly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is true - but I think him a better fit for the "Comeback Player" award. Would seem to fit his circumstance perfectly.

If you look at the term, MVP.  Most Valuable Player.  Tell me how many games they win without him?

He's almost in an identical situation as Aaron Rodgers was and is.  That team does no where without him.

My MVP is Brees.  Kansas City won a lot of game with Alex Smith, so while I think Mahomes is doing great, that scheme and coaching staff get a lot of guys to produce.

Then there is Luck.....  Just a name to keep an eye on.  Rivers probably belongs in that conversation as well.  Especially if he beats the Chiefs and gets to the top of that division.

And that top of that conversation is Brees.  76.4% completion percentage.  2 ints.  29TDs.  Yikes.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

If you look at the term, MVP.  Most Valuable Player.  Tell me how many games they win without him?

He's almost in an identical situation as Aaron Rodgers was and is.  That team does no where without him.

My MVP is Brees.  Kansas City won a lot of game with Alex Smith, so while I think Mahomes is doing great, that scheme and coaching staff get a lot of guys to produce.

Then there is Luck.....  Just a name to keep an eye on.  Rivers probably belongs in that conversation as well.  Especially if he beats the Chiefs and gets to the top of that division.

And that top of that conversation is Brees.  76.4% completion percentage.  2 ints.  29TDs.  Yikes.

Agree. I've not gotten into the number crunching stuff (and dont intend to) but my first thought was Brees is the guy.
Incog reminded me of Mahomes - and he's having an excellent year as well. I wouldnt put Luck ahead of either of these two - if for the only the teams records. Both NOLA and KC are killing it.