NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Probably, but Cox is a team captian, etc. These unnamed players go be 6th string WRs/ Back up TEs who are upset they don't get enough love from Wentz.

And is that not relevant in this?  It talked about how Wentz wouldn't go through progressions and just chuck it to Ertz. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

For sure, but health and clutch play has to come into the conversation.

The health Qs are real. If you can show me, statistically, that clutch play is a) predictive in the small samples Foles has and b) Can even be predictive over larger samples, then I might grant you that. People tend to take single game samples and extrapolate them to an entire skillset, particularly in the NFL, which is such a small-sample game.

15 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Nick Foles ANY/A in 2018-19:

Regular season: 6.50

Playoffs: CHI: 5.07, NO: 5.68

Carson Wentz ANY/A in 2018-19: 6.89

Carson Wentz ANY/A by season: 5.09 (rookie season), 7.43, 6.89

Nick Foles ANY/A in the regular season post-2013 (Chip Kelly year) (totals 28 starts): 5.93, 4.68, 7.39. 4.75, 6.5. The 7.39 came in a season where he only threw 55 passes.

Nick Foles hasn't been good since 2013. Nick Foles had two good games, admittedly high-leverage ones, and some stupid team is going to give him a bunch of money for it.

I don't even like Carson Wentz that much, I had him as a mid-round prospect in that class, but he's been better than Foles.

If you look at the Eagles defensive DVOA numbers, that's why they got better at the end of the season, and unless you think Nick Foles has some magic spell he can put on DBs to suddenly make them not play like crap, you can't attribute a worse QB playing worse to why the Eagles made the playoffs.

Nick Foles is Matt Schaub.  

24 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And is that not relevant in this?  It talked about how Wentz wouldn't go through progressions and just chuck it to Ertz. 

I've said I'd roll with Foles because you'd probably get at least 2 first rounders for Wentz, his future contract, and the injuries. However,  Wentz had that offense rolling when he was healthy. He was playing at an MVP level for awhile. He wasn't just throwing the rock to Ertz all day in each year to do that either. That article screams of some jealous back up who feels left out and basically goes against everything said about Wentz's personality/ morals. He's a Catholic nerd kid from North Dakota who played at a Division I FCS school. I'm not in that locker-room and the article could be correct, but I really have a hard time seeing him being arrogant and all that.

Edited by Arthur Penske

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Nick Foles is Matt Schaub.  

Dont think you've quite got this one nailed down. I'm sure Matt Schaub would like to be known as a SB winner/MVP as opposed to the QB who threw the most consecutive INTs returned for TDs. Not saying Foles is all that much.....but he's not Schaub thats for certain.

Just now, Leader said:

Dont think you've quite got this one nailed down. I'm sure Matt Schaub would like to be known as a SB winner/MVP as opposed to the QB who threw the most consecutive INTs returned for TDs. Not saying Foles is all that much.....but he's not Schaub thats for certain.

Taking the narrative pieces out, because they cloud the whole situation, Matt Schaub had a legitimately good career from 2008-2012 with two quite good years in there. He's the butt of jokes because of the hilarious pick-6 machine he became, and his arm strength just disappeared later in his career, but Schaub was a solidly above average QB for a few years there. If anything, Matt Schaub was better than Foles is.

7 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Taking the narrative pieces out, because they cloud the whole situation, Matt Schaub had a legitimately good career from 2008-2012 with two quite good years in there. He's the butt of jokes because of the hilarious pick-6 machine he became, and his arm strength just disappeared later in his career, but Schaub was a solidly above average QB for a few years there. If anything, Matt Schaub was better than Foles is.

And I dont think Foles more than a solidly above average QB - who - unlike Schaub has had some seriously terrific performances in do or die pressure games. Something Schaub never achieved. Take your pick. I'll take the big game winner every time.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

And I dont think Foles more than a solidly above average QB - who - unlike Schaub has had some seriously terrific performances in do or die pressure games. Something Schaub never achieved. Take your pick. I'll take the big game winner every time.

Again, we're talking about the predictiveness of "big games." Foles was terrible against both CHI (understandable, great defense) and NO. He was bad against ATL last year in the playoffs. He was great against MIN. He was great against NE (also understandable considering how bad NE's defense was last year). He succeeded on the biggest stage. I just don't count that as any more than one game. He doesn't get like a 5x game bonus for the Super Bowl in terms of how much that performance should count.

3 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Again, we're talking about the predictiveness of "big games." Foles was terrible against both CHI (understandable, great defense) and NO. He was bad against ATL last year in the playoffs. He was great against MIN. He was great against NE (also understandable considering how bad NE's defense was last year). He succeeded on the biggest stage. I just don't count that as any more than one game. He doesn't get like a 5x game bonus for the Super Bowl in terms of how much that performance should count.

Okay. Fine. I made my points and dont care enough about either QB to quibble about it down to the short hairs.

• Like 1

Boy...tried posting why I'd rather do Foles over Wentz.  Every time I type it, I can't submit it as I'm all over the place.  Tough call to make.

It would be hard to pass up multiple firsts and a team friendly QB deal for that team.  Draft your QB of the future next year with one of those picks and you are probably set for a nice run.

But then there is the Wentz talent.

Just a tough one.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Boy...tried posting why I'd rather do Foles over Wentz.  Every time I type it, I can't submit it as I'm all over the place.  Tough call to make.

It would be hard to pass up multiple firsts and a team friendly QB deal for that team.  Draft your QB of the future next year with one of those picks and you are probably set for a nice run. But then there is the Wentz talent. Just a tough one.

Theres some things we dont need to know LOL.