NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

MM on the Vikings would be horrible

I think Zimmer is potentially on the hotseat. They invested a huge sum of money in Cousins and yet all he wants to do is run the ball more. Missing the playoffs will hurt him and if he misses the playoffs again next year I think he's out.

Edited by Chili

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Cautionary tale for the Packers, perhaps?  The Bears have missed 19 field goals since parting ways with Robbie Gould.  Gould has missed just 3 field goals in his time away from the Bears.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/since-bears-cut-robbie-gould-theyve-missed-19-field-goals-and-hes-missed-3/

This is what I have been telling people all year.  It's not a curse thing, it's the reality of the NFL.  If you've got a kicker who can nail high pressure kicks, make 75% of his 50 yard kicks, etc... You keep him.  So many times, so many teams have tried cutting their kicker who falls to like 78-75% thinking they can improve to 80% or higher only to end up with crap.

Buccaneers, Vikings, Lions, Bears and like a dozen plus 10 other teams have gone through this over the past five years.

We know what we have with Crosby, and he is NOT the type of kicker to miss high pressure game winning field goals.  In fact, he has missed only 3 field goals in his entire post-season career.  Two of them came in games where the final score was double digit margins.  26/29 in the postseason and I'd challenge people to find a better option than that. 

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is what I have been telling people all year.  It's not a curse thing, it's the reality of the NFL.  If you've got a kicker who can nail high pressure kicks, make 75% of his 50 yard kicks, etc... You keep him.  So many times, so many teams have tried cutting their kicker who falls to like 78-75% thinking they can improve to 80% or higher only to end up with crap.

Buccaneers, Vikings, Lions, Bears and like a dozen plus 10 other teams have gone through this over the past five years.

We know what we have with Crosby, and he is NOT the type of kicker to miss high pressure game winning field goals.  In fact, he has missed only 3 field goals in his entire post-season career.  Two of them came in games where the final score was double digit margins.  26/29 in the postseason and I'd challenge people to find a better option than that. 

I get frustrated with the guy from time to time, but if you cut him loose you run the risk of creating a bigger problem spot.  Now if you want to approach him about a restructure of his contract that might make some sense, but I doubt his payola is killing our cap.

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We should re-watch the game tape on those kicks - bet they were tipped! :D

On 2019-01-07 at 10:28 AM, Outpost31 said:

Doesn’t help much if he can’t help us get to the playoffs. He’s older and his leg is tired. I’d bring in a rookie to compete draft one in 6 or 7 a big leg cold weather kid. 

While I get what you’re saying competition is great and if the kid wins take a year of growing pains. Crosby was a rookie once don’t forget that and we lived through a couple of his bad years. Time to push him to the edge and maybe over it. 

37 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Word out of Cleveland is that they are close to picking Kitchens as HC. 

Tough position for them to be in... If they kept Kitchens on as OC, he would likely be gone next year for a HC gig. May be a year too early for Kitchens but needs to be done to keep him if they are that high on him

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Tough position for them to be in... If they kept Kitchens on as OC, he would likely be gone next year for a HC gig. May be a year too early for Kitchens but needs to be done to keep him if they are that high on him

Yea, just reported that Stefanski is in town for a 2nd interview so I guess he's on the table as well. Wouldn't mind the Vikings losing him and having to start over at OC.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, just reported that Stefanski is in town for a 2nd interview so I guess he's on the table as well. Wouldn't mind the Vikings losing him and having to start over at OC.

Would not like Monken or Koetter there.... go Hue!

ESPN:

New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who interviewed for the Green Bay Packers' head-coaching vacancy last week, confirmed he is returning to the Patriots in 2019.

"The book is closed," McDaniels said Tuesday on his weekly conference call, when asked if he anticipates interviewing for any other head-coaching jobs this year. "It's always a humbling experience to have an opportunity to interview with anybody for that position.

"I was thankful for the opportunity to meet with Green Bay; it always gives you greater insight into another organization of how they do things. It's been very educational for me every time I've gone through it and I've appreciated every single one of them.

"I'm completely focused on the Chargers and our season and finishing it strong. And I'll be here moving forward."

In addition to the Packers -- who have agreed to hire Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur as head coach, sources told ESPN -- McDaniels had an opportunity to interview with the Cincinnati Bengals for their head-coaching vacancy. McDaniels, however, declined to pursue the Bengals job, according to NFL Network.