NFL News & Notes

Leader

37 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

should the Packers have selected Derwin James instead of Jaire Alexander? kids a rookie All-Pro. i get that we got an additional 1st rounder but damn thats looking like a bad move in hindsight.

Not really a big difference like we've seen with some of our misses in the past. Most of the guys we were interested in on this forum, for example, all turned out to be very solid players. Fitzpatrick was damn good. James was damn good. Alexander was damn good. LVE was damn good. Didn't follow him as much, but I think Tremaine Edmunds had a solid year too. 

Just now, Leader said:

If you're DAL do you try to extend Prescott this off season (before he becomes a UFA after 2019) - or wait?
How much cash would you throw at him to keep off the FA market? What's your ceiling?

I'd trade him.  Watch everybody yell at me and not remember 8 years down the road when Prescott is a backup for the Bills and the Cowboys have depleted their team of talent due to having paid Prescott. 

Dak Prescott could absolutely win a Super Bowl.  Dak Prescott can absolutely not win a Super Bowl being paid like a QB who could win a Super Bowl. 

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

Don't know why people are still hung up on not getting James. We went into the draft with King as our only viable CB. 

And we actually looked at least okay at safety.  Chances are good Gute and our coaching staff were high on Josh Jones expecting he'd make a second year jump at safety, and Clinton-Dix seemed to just be in need of a change at DC and getting help at CB. 

I do not and will not ever blame Gute for going Alexander. 

He tried to create flexibility in the draft by going after Fuller.  Didn't work, so we really had to get a corner in the draft, and Jaire is looking just as good as a top 5 corner drafted in the same year. 

Really think we got a legit 10 year star at cornerback, and in today's NFL, that's invaluable.  I like the safety position more and it's my favorite position in all of football, but Corner is and always will be more important. 

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

And we actually looked at least okay at safety.  Chances are good Gute and our coaching staff were high on Josh Jones expecting he'd make a second year jump at safety, and Clinton-Dix seemed to just be in need of a change at DC and getting help at CB. 

He tried to create flexibility in the draft by going after Fuller.  Didn't work, so we really had to get a corner in the draft, and Jaire is looking just as good as a top 5 corner drafted in the same year. 

Really think we got a legit 10 year star at cornerback, and in today's NFL, that's invaluable.  I like the safety position more and it's my favorite position in all of football, but Corner is and always will be more important. 

Yeah you can't really blame them for thinking HaHa could turn it around. I also thought Josh Jones would take that jump. Hell I didn't even think Brice was gonna be this terrible. Don't think anyone thought safety was going to be the dumpster fire it turned out to be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah Gute did what he could to stay out of draft by going after vets. With that said JA had some growing pains this year but for the most part he was like glue on most teams #1 all season. Kid tackles, and if Breeland and King don't get hurt next year JA can move everywhere. He's got the potential to be a Woodson type player for me a real impact guy. His confidence will be huge for him next year having played so well against great comp this year.

2 hours ago, gopackgo247 said:

should the Packers have selected Derwin James instead of Jaire Alexander? kids a rookie All-Pro. i get that we got an additional 1st rounder but damn thats looking like a bad move in hindsight.

Nope.  As good as Derwin James has been, the value of a corner is exponentially more than a safety.

• Like 1

Football perspective:

Update on the Marcus Davenport trade:
Saints traded a 2019 1st round pick to move up from 27 to 14 to draft Davenport.

Good news: That 2019 1st will be very late.
Bad news: Davenport played less than half of Saints snaps and had just 4.5 sacks.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:07 PM, CWood21 said:

Nope.  As good as Derwin James has been, the value of a corner is exponentially more than a safety.

i was more pissed than i've been at something football related when we traded back w/ derwin on the board, but i wouldn't give up Jaire for Derwin now. Jaire is already my favorite packer by a good margin. he's an identity maker if that's anything. 

47 minutes ago, Leader said:

Football perspective:

Update on the Marcus Davenport trade:
Saints traded a 2019 1st round pick to move up from 27 to 14 to draft Davenport.

Good news: That 2019 1st will be very late.
Bad news: Davenport played less than half of Saints snaps and had just 4.5 sacks.

And he wasn't very good other than a few admittedly strong plays.  We fleeced the Saints overall on that trade.

Not sure why I'm posting this, but read it and thought it worthy of your review :)

JuJu Smith-Schuster‏:

Fact of the day:

Water is not wet. Water is a liquid that wets things.
“Wet" is the condition of a liquid sticking to a solid surface, such as water wetting our skin.
We CAN NOT say that water is wet, because it takes a liquid AND a solid to define the term "wet."