NFL News & Notes

Leader

23 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The tight ends Sternberger and Deguara.

Amari Rodgers, Something called DeAngelo Yancey?, Trevor Davis, Ty Montgomery.

Not doing any of those possible deals can also be considered an error, but it might have worked out for the best/the same

Talking 3rd round or later guys, right?  I dunno.  Seems like they are a crap shoot anyway.

But....turd round picks.  

Just now, vegas492 said:

Talking 3rd round or later guys, right?  I dunno.  Seems like they are a crap shoot anyway.

But....turd round picks.  

yeah they didn't put any major effort into WR after adams.  But MVS/ESB/Moore were also late round picks.  TE was even more ignored despite the obvious whiff on Sternberger.

Not having a viable post-finley move TE on this team was criminal.  Tonyan had 1 good season and even that was a bit overblown.

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah they didn't put any major effort into WR after adams.  But MVS/ESB/Moore were also late round picks.  TE was even more ignored despite the obvious whiff on Sternberger.

Not having a viable post-finley move TE on this team was criminal.  Tonyan had 1 good season and even that was a bit overblown.

Well, they tried with Bennett and Graham, right?  Lesser extent, Lewis.

But yeah, I get it.  We kind of ignored those positions.  Though I would have loved to have seen what Tonyan would have become without that knee injury.  Maybe we still will.  

56 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Well, they tried with Bennett and Graham, right?  Lesser extent, Lewis.

But yeah, I get it.  We kind of ignored those positions.  Though I would have loved to have seen what Tonyan would have become without that knee injury.  Maybe we still will.  

And before that there was Andrew Quarless and Richard Rogers.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Murphy was the first second round receiver taken with TT.  He is forgotten about because TT's first draft pick was Rodgers and his second was Collins.  And...of course, Murphy had that career ending injury right away.

Clifton was a mainstay until 2011.  Rodgers was drafted in 2005.  Cliffy locked down that left side for a really long time.

Premiums are taken early in the first round.  2nd round and thereafter are emphasis picks, for sure.  But true premium guys and positions are taken in the top part of the first round, and I'd argue down to about 20 or mid 20's.  Then it becomes "looser" in my book.

Not sure how this devolved into what TT did.  Clearly he cleaned up the cap and drafted his QB of the future right away.  Then he filled in as needed.  Never spent a premium pick on a WR.  Never a premium on RB.  Never a premium on a guard.

Did take EDGE rushers, DL rushers.  And yeah, the QB.  With those first round picks.  Outlier was taking Hawk, though one can argue he was a premium at his natural position, which was not a true ILB in the 3-4.

Then the wheels feel off late in TT's career.  We know that.  But along the way, the man found absolute gems on the OL later in the draft so he didn't need to use premium picks for an OT or OL in general.  Then you add in great second and third round WR's.  So again, back to drafting defense with those premium picks (first round picks).

you call them premium positional picks, I call them harder to come by positional players, there simply are less quality big boys to pick from at positions of team need like OL and DL, you have to have those players, your right, but the skill position players are who win the games, there simply are just more to chose from and why good ones are still available in round two.

Draft prioritization is impacted by D+D success/failure.  When you succeed, you don't invest draft capital.  When you fail, you keep trying.  

1. Clifton and Tauscher, high-pick/low-pick.  No draft capital needed until Bulaga.
  2. Sitton and Lang, 2nd-day success.  No capital needed for years.
  3. Shields+Tramon, UDFA diamonds, no capital needed for years.  
  4. Then you start stacking Randall/Rollins/Jones/Jackson failures at CB, and secondary gobbles capital.
  5. D-line/edge, Harrell/Worthy/Datone picks busted.  Raji and Perry (and Neal) didn't didn't last that long either. 

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

GB didn't ignore the TE position after the Finley injury in 2013.  Not by a long shot.  I kind of wish they had. 

2014: RD3 pick, UFA Bennett
2018: UFA Graham
2019: RD3 pick
2020: RD3 pick

2016 this guy: 

Pin on Green Bay Packers

• Like 2

20 hours ago, turf toe said:

you call them premium positional picks, I call them harder to come by positional players, there simply are less quality big boys to pick from at positions of team need like OL and DL, you have to have those players, your right, but the skill position players are who win the games, there simply are just more to chose from and why good ones are still available in round two.

You call it diamonds. I call it harder to come by coal.

One of the things about offensive skill positions is that while there's a huge difference between the top tier guys at a position and the next tier, there second tier is always fairly flat.  Like there's a huge difference between "a top 10 WR" and "the 25th best WR"  but there's not a huge difference between "the 25th best WR" and "the 60th best WR". 

So when you look at a guy in the draft and you have him graded out around where you have Leonte Caroo and Kevin Norwood, it's not actually necessary to throw a premium pick at that guy just to say you're devoting resources to the position.  At some point, you're just hoping that the guy is going to be a lot better than you had him projected (which happen sometimes!)

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

2016 this guy: 

Total brain fart on Cook.  Shows even more that GB did not ignore the TE position post-Finley.  Not even close.  They just made a series of bad decisions.

Edited by Mazrimiv

26 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

One of the things about offensive skill positions is that while there's a huge difference between the top tier guys at a position and the next tier, there second tier is always fairly flat.  Like there's a huge difference between "a top 10 WR" and "the 25th best WR"  but there's not a huge difference between "the 25th best WR" and "the 60th best WR". 

So when you look at a guy in the draft and you have him graded out around where you have Leonte Caroo and Kevin Norwood, it's not actually necessary to throw a premium pick at that guy just to say you're devoting resources to the position.  At some point, you're just hoping that the guy is going to be a lot better than you had him projected (which happen sometimes!)

You mean like Tyreek Hill - 5th round, Stefon Diggs - 5th round, Amon-Ra St. Brown - 4th round, Chris Godwin - 3rd round, Davante Adams - 2nd round, AJ Brown - 2nd round, DK Metcalf - 2nd round, Diontae Johnson - 3rd round. 

21 minutes ago, R T said:

You mean like Tyreek Hill - 5th round, Stefon Diggs - 5th round, Amon-Ra St. Brown - 4th round, Chris Godwin - 3rd round, Davante Adams - 2nd round, AJ Brown - 2nd round, DK Metcalf - 2nd round, Diontae Johnson - 3rd round. 

Sure, but separating the guy you mentioned and the last good WR taken before him we have:

• Tyler Boyd, Braxton Miller, Leonte Carroo, Chris Moore, Malcolm Mitchell, Louis Brown, Pharoh Cooper, Demarcus Robinson, Tajae Sharpe, Jordan Peyton, and Trevor Davis went between Michael Thomas and Tyreek Hill.
  • Chris Conley, Sammie Coates, Ty Montgomery, Jamison Crowder, Justin Hardy, Vince Mayle, DeAndre Smelter, and Rashad Greene went between Tyler Lockett and Stefon Diggs.
  • Kadarius Toney, Rashod Bateman, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, D'Wayne Eskridge, Tutu Atwell, Terrace Marshall, Josh Palmer, Dyami Brown, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Anthony Schwartz, and Dez Fitzpatrick went between DeVonta Smith and Amon Ra St. Brown.
  • Taywan Talor, Ardarius Stewart, and Carlos Henderson went between Cooper Cupp and Chris Godwin.
  • Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry were both taken before A.J. Brown while Mecole Hardman, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Parris Campbell, and Andy Isabella went between A.J. Brown and DK Metcalf/Diontae Johnson.

Like I'm sure people #onhere will say "I had a good feeling about DK Metcalf, but I'm sure there were actual NFL scouting personnel who had a good feeling on Justin Hardy or JJ Arcega-Whiteside. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know what are cap situation will look like in 2024? We will have 11 picks and Love on a cheap deal. Cutting Bak will save an extra 21M. The 2024 FA class looks better than this year's. Another strong draft class with hopefully 40M to spend in FA should put us right back in SB contention.