NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Imagine crafting a statement because a player got messages from internet trolls. Not sure what the world is coming to at this point. 

I'd not heard anything about the nature of the attacks.....so I presumed the Philly crowd was yelling at him.
So it was online attacks? Ignore the platform....or block the senders.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I'd not heard anything about the nature of the attacks.....so I presumed the Philly crowd was yelling at him.
So it was online attacks? Ignore the platform....or block the senders.

Instagram DM's. What every athlete who fumbles, throws a pick, drops a pass, misses a block, misses the game winning shot, strikes out, etc... gets after every game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Instagram DM's. What every athlete who fumbles, throws a pick, drops a pass, misses a block, misses the game winning shot, strikes out, etc... gets after every game. 

By all means then - it should just be accepted and acceptable and never be addressed.   

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

By all means then - it should just be accepted and acceptable and never be addressed.   

What are they going to do?

Are the Minnesota Vikings going to pay to investigate every DM and track the person down? So, it's not addressed in any meaningful way even now. 

The only thing they've done is let the trolls know that it gets a reaction. 

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I think every athlete who gets abuse on social media should craft a similar statement. We should take every opportunity to un-normalize "screaming abuse at people you don't know" on social media, and when someone has a platform because they're famous they can draw more attention to how this sort of behavior should not be accepted or seen as normal than Steve Q. Rando can.

Like we can imagine a better world.  We can take steps to craft one.  I may not get to live in a Star Trek world, but I hope I can live in a world where "hurling abuse on strangers on social media" is no longer a thing.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

…but I hope I can live in a world where "hurling abuse on strangers on social media" is no longer a thing.

Thank you!

Life is better, for sure, when we can abandon the shallow anonymity of social media and get back to the essentials, the bedrock of human interactions, returning to our more natural human condition—personally hurling abuse at people we actually know.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think every athlete who gets abuse on social media should craft a similar statement. We should take every opportunity to un-normalize "screaming abuse at people you don't know" on social media, and when someone has a platform because they're famous they can draw more attention to how this sort of behavior should not be accepted or seen as normal than Steve Q. Rando can.

Like we can imagine a better world.  We can take steps to craft one.  I may not get to live in a Star Trek world, but I hope I can live in a world where "hurling abuse on strangers on social media" is no longer a thing.

Go back to mamby-pamby land ya Jackwagon.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Thank you!

Life is better, for sure, when we can abandon the shallow anonymity of social media and get back to the essentials, the bedrock of human interactions, returning to our more natural human condition—personally hurling abuse at people we actually know.

My e-football seems so inadequate when I could kneel behind you and have someone push you so you trip over me instead 

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

My e-football seems so inadequate when I could kneel behind you and have someone push you so you trip over me instead 

Unlikely. You’d have a tight window for success.

I went to Roosevelt Junior High School in Appleton. For reasons you describe, fifty years later my head still whirls around every six seconds.

Also, the kneel down guy is the engineer, the instigator, the doer of dirty work, the team player willing to give up a starring role for team results.

The one who pushes delights in duplicity, the gaining and abusing of trust, the close access to the fear and surprise in the victim’s face, and the personal credit for a team effort.

Unfortunately for me, my junior high was more numerously populated by the Albert Haynesworth types that neither kneeled nor pushed but stomped gleefully on any ground level heads that rolled past them.

But it was all beautiful because it was real and personal. None of that hurtful internet bullying kids have to endure now. 

• Like 1