NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

He spent time as the DC in Seattle.  He'd be a good fit there. Fan favorite, but the Legion is long gone, so????

I read that John Schneider now has total control as GM of the Seahawks.  Final say used to be with Pete Carroll, but now it's Schneider's show.  I'm guessing he follows his Packers roots and goes with a hot shot offensive coordinator as head coach.  I'm thinking Lions OC Ben Johnson will be his choice at the end of the day.  Just seems to make a lot of sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I read that John Schneider now has total control as GM of the Seahawks.  Final say used to be with Pete Carroll, but now it's Schneider's show.  I'm guessing he follows his Packers roots and goes with a hot shot offensive coordinator as head coach.  I'm thinking Lions OC Ben Johnson will be his choice at the end of the day.  Just seems to make a lot of sense to me. 

Yes, Schneider has control, he may have to give up some of that control if he wants a heavy hitter, very well could hire someone who is ok with Schneider keeping control?

7 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Or he brings back Dave Canales, on Seattle staff from 2010 to 2022

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/CanaDa0.htm

7 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think ATL hires Johnson as HC, and do whatever is necessary to ensure they can draft one of the top 3 QB's.

With Belichick and Carroll out, is that the last of the HC's who also had roster control?  I think it is.  By several accounts I've read, Vrabel wanting control over the roster was a factor in the decision to send him packing.

20 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What exactly did he do for the Packers? Was this just another offensive guy carried by Rodgers? McAdoo, Getsy, Hackett all got jobs and flamed out.

McCarthy seems to be doing fine.  Clements also seems to have helped with Love.  

Is this just the cream rising to the top?

He was the QB coach and passing game coordinator. 

We see it was assistants all the time though. Just the right circumstances for their specific style. Problem is Fields was never going to run a GB style offense and I don't think Getsy ever understood that.

11 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Rumblings have Dan Quinn as the early favorite.  I still think Shane Waldron (their OC) has a real shot at getting the job.

52 minutes ago, Striker said:

He was the QB coach and passing game coordinator. 

We see it was assistants all the time though. Just the right circumstances for their specific style. Problem is Fields was never going to run a GB style offense and I don't think Getsy ever understood that.

But was he adept at anything in particular?  MLF is the offensive guy, and we had Aaron Rodgers.  Rodgers praises Hackett, and I am sure he is a great guy, but he has now shown that his offense doesn't work without Aaron Rodgers.  The only thing I remember about Getsy was that the Bears were raiding our coach, but then our offense was pretty much the same, and theirs still stunk.  

Any good QB's slated to declare next year?

Bears can initiate the NFL version of "the process" by trading both Fields and the #1 pick, then tank the 2024 season to land 2025 #1 overall.  2025 is also when they start over with a new staff.

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But was he adept at anything in particular?  MLF is the offensive guy, and we had Aaron Rodgers.  Rodgers praises Hackett, and I am sure he is a great guy, but he has now shown that his offense doesn't work without Aaron Rodgers.  The only thing I remember about Getsy was that the Bears were raiding our coach, but then our offense was pretty much the same, and theirs still stunk.  

Hard to say. I don't think we ever truly know the impact of an assistant until they leave. He might be very good at helping coordinate Green Bay's style of offensive. But obviously Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love are on very different levels of QB play as pure passers compared to Fields. It's possible Getsy goes and succeeds with a team like LAC where they have a better QB situation than he did in Chicago.

Or it's possible he sucks so much that he washes out wherever he goes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Bears can initiate the NFL version of "the process" by trading both Fields and the #1 pick, then tank the 2024 season to land 2025 #1 overall.  2025 is also when they start over with a new staff.

The Bears may never win a championship again but they have nailed the process of getting the #1 overall pick. They have gone back to back. Can the Bears 3-peat?

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Shedeuer Sanders and Deion Sanders to the Bears would be entertaining.

• Like 2