NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, persiandud said:

are you kidding? 

there are so many better options available than Savage lmfao 

Not really, Savage has the perfect skillset for this defense.  

4 hours ago, persiandud said:

are you kidding? 

there are so many better options available than Savage lmfao 

No, there are known names, most 30+. Usually that's around where players stsrt losing a step of top end speed and explosion. For S thatbcsn get pretty bad pretty quickly, and unless it's a 1-2 year bargain deal post draft, I'm just not a fan.

Also I think you are underselling Savage. To non GB people, he looks like one of the better FA S in this class.

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

No, there are known names, most 30+. Usually that's around where players stsrt losing a step of top end speed and explosion. For S thatbcsn get pretty bad pretty quickly, and unless it's a 1-2 year bargain deal post draft, I'm just not a fan.

Also I think you are underselling Savage. To non GB people, he looks like one of the better FA S in this class.

Than that is a total indictment on our previous D coordinator.  If he's one of the better FA S in this class, he wasn't used correctly and/or he underperformed big time.  Also, staying healthy would be very helpful for his career whether with the Packers or elsewhere.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Than that is a total indictment on our previous D coordinator.  If he's one of the better FA S in this class, he wasn't used correctly and/or he underperformed big time.  Also, staying healthy would be very helpful for his career whether with the Packers or elsewhere.

I think that's pretty obvious. Barry had some success with the front 7 but was a disaster on the back end.

@Packerraymond or anyone else.....

Can someone please explain Russell Wilson's free agency as it relates to contract?  I keep hearing that he will sign for a very minimal deal for one year.  And that is because whatever he signs for will decrease the amount owed from the Broncos (and therefore reduce his cap hit to them).

I get that, but only kind of.  

Just for the sake of numbers, let's say he is owed $40M next year from the Broncos against their cap.   Due to the deal and how it was worked, that is money coming to him from the Broncos.  Let's say that he signs for $10M/year from say...Pittsburgh.  I'm led to believe that all he still gets is $40M, only the $10M from Pitt reduces the amount owed by the Broncos, so he still only nets out $40M.

How is that his new deal ($10M) doesn't go on top of the old deal money and give him $50M for the season?  Is there some offset language there that I am not clear on?

I get the narrative on him concerning his old contract and how it works, I'm just wondering why it works that way.

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

@Packerraymond or anyone else.....

Can someone please explain Russell Wilson's free agency as it relates to contract?  I keep hearing that he will sign for a very minimal deal for one year.  And that is because whatever he signs for will decrease the amount owed from the Broncos (and therefore reduce his cap hit to them).

I get that, but only kind of.  

Just for the sake of numbers, let's say he is owed $40M next year from the Broncos against their cap.   Due to the deal and how it was worked, that is money coming to him from the Broncos.  Let's say that he signs for $10M/year from say...Pittsburgh.  I'm led to believe that all he still gets is $40M, only the $10M from Pitt reduces the amount owed by the Broncos, so he still only nets out $40M.

How is that his new deal ($10M) doesn't go on top of the old deal money and give him $50M for the season?  Is there some offset language there that I am not clear on?

I get the narrative on him concerning his old contract and how it works, I'm just wondering why it works that way.

Thanks in advance!

The way I understand it is:  The Broncos aren't paying Wilson any money at all.  He has already received his guaranteed money, they just have to account for it on their salary cap.  Any new money he gets is paid by the new team.  But any of that new money offsets what the former team is on the hook for, against the cap this season. I think it offsets because the player is not allowed to have two contracts.

• Like 1

Ian Rapoport -  The Ravens agreed on a blockbuster deal for Pro Bowl DT Justin Madubuike, as he cashes in on a disruptive, 13-sack season. Instead of the tag, he gets his new contract.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport -  The Ravens agreed on a blockbuster deal for Pro Bowl DT Justin Madubuike, as he cashes in on a disruptive, 13-sack season. Instead of the tag, he gets his new contract.

This deal makes him the 2nd highest paid IDL in the league.

Also makes any new deal for Clark trickier because whilst Madubuike had a better year last year and is trending north, Clarks has had quite a few good years in a row and isn't yet declining.

2 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

This deal makes him the 2nd highest paid IDL in the league.

Also makes any new deal for Clark trickier because whilst Madubuike had a better year last year and is trending north, Clarks has had quite a few good years in a row and isn't yet declining.

Adam Schefter -   Ravens are signing franchise DT Justin Madubuike to a four-year, $98 million deal that includes $75.5 million total in guarantees and $53.5 million at signing.

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -   Ravens are signing franchise DT Justin Madubuike to a four-year, $98 million deal that includes $75.5 million total in guarantees and $53.5 million at signing.

Here is all the IDL line deals in the last 12 months:

• Madubuike  - 24.5m per year
  • Williams - 24m per year
  • Simmons - 23.5m per year
  • Lawrence - 22.5m per year
  • Payne - 22.5m per year
  • Hargrave - 21m per year

You have to think that a new deal for Clark will cost somewhere in the 21-24m range also.