NFL News & Notes

Leader

Posted (edited)

Andrew Brandt -  The NFL continues to be cold to running backs over a certain age, no matter the production. Players like Joe Mixon, Aaron Jones, and Derrick Henry - ages 27, 29 and 30 - have just been replaced by younger models. It is the position with the shortest shelf life in the sport.

Edited by Leader

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andrew Brandt -  Reports of Aaron Jones receiving $7 million from the Vikings.
Drew Rosenhaus had to know the market before turning down the Packers pay cut offer; wondering how low they were going to take him.

Pack offered around 6 mil he got 7 from the Vikes.  Is it worth it for 1 mil?  Gute could have ponied up an extra mil to keep him.  We'll need to find a slasher in the draft.  Sucks love Jones but hope he bombs out with the Vikes that will make this move less painful.  Damn I'm still chapped over this move.  Jones and Jacobs would have been a real nice combo.  

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Pack offered around 6 mil he got 7 from the Vikes.  Is it worth it for 1 mil?  Gute could have ponied up an extra mil to keep him.  We'll need to find a slasher in the draft.  Sucks love Jones but hope he bombs out with the Vikes that will make this move less painful.  Damn I'm still chapped over this move.  Jones and Jacobs would have been a real nice combo.  

Not sure where you're getting that 6M offer info from. Do you have a link or tweet?
I dont keep close tabs on cap stuff. That what I pay Gute & Ball to handle :) but yesterday I read that Jones woujld have cost 17M against the cap and GB was asking him to take a 50% cut - so his signing for 7M would represent less than that 50% offer.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I believe Jones had 12M coming in salary/bonus and GB wanted to cut that in half.  So Jones got an extra 1M by moving on.  Seems like Gute had the Jones market pretty well pegged.

wonder how many teams after being contacted by Jones agent said they weren't interested in him at that price?