NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah, that's a horrible overpay.  David Mulugheta is Jordan Love's agent, and also recently signed Xavier McKinney's agent as well.

If a player has Mulugheta they're looking for max money. Just facts.

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If/When Ridley's contract looks a LOT like the high-priced WR contracts that are overly backloaded, be sure to come back to get your crow.  Tyreek Hill's final year has a $56.3M cap hit, there's 0% chance he plays on that.  Davante Adams has 2 years with a $44.1M cap hit.  No chance he plays at that number.  AJ Brown has a $41.5M cap hit in his final year.

My issue here is that unlike those other guys, Ridley is a guy I'd think paying $10m/year is a bit rich for what he brings to the table.  You should only pay the going rate at a position for good players.  Ridley's a guy who's been in the league since 2018 and has only had a 1000 yard receiving season twice.

50 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

My issue here is that unlike those other guys, Ridley is a guy I'd think paying $10m/year is a bit rich for what he brings to the table.  You should only pay the going rate at a position for good players.  Ridley's a guy who's been in the league since 2018 and has only had a 1000 yard receiving season twice.

He was such an inconsistent player last season. Especially when pushed into the Zay Jones role.

3 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

he's also a guy who never had <800 yards in any season that he finished.

$10m is peanuts for WRs right now.  Ridley is a good player

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He got 4 years and 92 million.  

That’s a lot more than I expected, he had more games with 40 or fewer yards than games over last season… and much of my opinion is built on my assumptions that the league is full of wide receiver talent right now and you can get maybe not the same but similar production and impact from a number of players if you give them the same opportunity and force them the ball (136 targets) the way the Jaguars did.

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

While I think the contract is too rich for my blood too so not really in disagreement with that part of your post I will defend Ridley a little.  It's misleading the only 2 1000 yd seasons since 2018 imo

He's actually only played in 5 seasons since 2018 with the gambling suspension costing him a year and a broken foot costing him another. - The gambling situation was a one-off deal in which he reportedly gambled $1500!?  

In those 5 seasons - in 2018 he was a rookie.   Can't seriously hold it against a rookie to not reach 1000.  2nd year he was still the #2 receiver behind Julio Jones and splitting time with Mohamed Sanu and still gained 866 in 13 gms.  2020 he was the #1 and gained almost 1400 yards despite playing the end of year on a broken foot.   He was widely regarded as a Top 10 receiver in the league coming off that season.      In 2021 he only played 5 gms as the broken foot had to be taken care of.   2022 suspension 2023 another 1000 yard season in 16 gms.    

So 2 of his 4 full seasons he broke 1000 yards including his last 2 full seasons.  1 800 yd season was a rookie year and his 2nd yr he missed 3 games but was also on pace for 1000 despite Julio being the #1.    Also 7-10 TD's in his 4 actual years which is really good for a WR.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Isn't that the going rate for guys like that though?  I'm not really keeping up with WR contracts, but MVS and Lazard both got what, 10-12M AAV contracts? We can argue that the contracts didn't and won't age well, but the fact is, that is kind of the going rate for guys with 800+ yard seasons under their belts.

Edited by vegas492

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Isn't that the going rate for guys like that though?  I'm not really keeping up with WR contracts, but MVS and Lazard both got what, 10-12M AAV contracts? We can argue that the contracts didn't and won't age well, but the fact is, that is kind of the going rate for guys with 800+ yard seasons under their belts.

It's money thats gotta go somewhere. Teams need to give up a set % of available funds. Too date, QBs are leading the parade - with yearly salaries for the top guys hitting the 50M range with 40M+/- becoming more the norm.

Whats gonna happen? QBs salaries are just gonna keep skyrocketing...for the same 3500yd / 30TD output?

So the other positions are being upgraded now.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Davante never eclipsed 1000 yards until his fifth season (2018), he got 4 years 58 million in 2017.  

MVS was a season removed from leading the league in yards per reception, and really showing out in the NFCC, then missed a bunch of time the following season before signing his deal.  I do think the Chiefs kind of missed the mark thinking he was a burgeoning star, rather than a really high end complimentary piece, but it is really hard to feel sorry for the Chiefs.

Lazard was a huge possession WR who blocked like a TE, and improved his receiving numbers each season in the league.  Was he 11 million per season good? Probably not.  But I can see the thoughts that he too was an ascending player.  I fully believe that he had a bad season because Zach Wilson is to QBs as my dead dog is to... QBs.

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's money thats gotta go somewhere. Teams need to give up a set % of available funds. Too date, QBs are leading the parade - with yearly salaries for the top guys hitting the 50M range with 40M+/- becoming more the norm.

Whats gonna happen? QBs salaries are just gonna keep skyrocketing...for the same 3500yd / 30TD output?

So the other positions are being upgraded now.

Man, I'm really confused.  It happens.  You replied to WR contracts with QB contracts.

What do high end QB deals have to do with receivers who average 800 yards in a "good/great" contract year?

You saying that high end QB deals are going to inflate contracts for mediocre WR's?

Again...confusion on my part.

25 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Davante never eclipsed 1000 yards until his fifth season (2018), he got 4 years 58 million in 2017.  

MVS was a season removed from leading the league in yards per reception, and really showing out in the NFCC, then missed a bunch of time the following season before signing his deal.  I do think the Chiefs kind of missed the mark thinking he was a burgeoning star, rather than a really high end complimentary piece, but it is really hard to feel sorry for the Chiefs.

Lazard was a huge possession WR who blocked like a TE, and improved his receiving numbers each season in the league.  Was he 11 million per season good? Probably not.  But I can see the thoughts that he too was an ascending player.  I fully believe that he had a bad season because Zach Wilson is to QBs as my dead dog is to... QBs.

Right.  Each never really produced at 1,000 yard level.  Lazard or MVS.  But they got those deals.  So to me, it isn't surprising that Ridley got what he got.

Obviously the value of money at the WR position changed from 2017 to 2022 and 2023.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Right.  Each never really produced at 1,000 yard level.  Lazard or MVS.  But they got those deals.  So to me, it isn't surprising that Ridley got what he got.

Obviously the value of money at the WR position changed from 2017 to 2022 and 2023.

another reason that drafting a guy in the first is a good idea, especially if you think you can get a better player than Michael Pittman/Calvin Ridley.  Paying those guys who are very good players but not real field tilters is rough IMO.