NFL News & Notes

Leader

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Add something to the football like a stud finder so that when the ball is spotted correctly, a small led starts to flash, and the ball starts emitting a loud beeping noise.  You're welcome.

The indoor stadiums are easy, you put a laser in one chain and a receiver in the other across the field. 

The outdoor stadiums it doesn't work because of the crown of the field needed for drainage. 

The new kickoff is interesting. There will be more returns so that’s a good thing. Going ti be interesting to see which team cracks the code and finds a way to break one consistently. It’s preseason and almost no starters playing, but I enjoy watching the Bears continue their mediocrity. 

9 hours ago, Refugee said:

The new kickoff is interesting. There will be more returns so that’s a good thing. Going ti be interesting to see which team cracks the code and finds a way to break one consistently. It’s preseason and almost no starters playing, but I enjoy watching the Bears continue their mediocrity. 

I would have been perfectly okay with KO returns at the beginning of each half and then simply starting with the ball at the 20 or 25 following scores. Onside kick success rate has dropped anyway. 

On 7/31/2024 at 2:51 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

It feels like a "no cap" NFL could work if the total operating budget of each team was roughly the same.  So a team could spend more on players if they spent less on executives.  But this would require additional revenue sharing between NFL teams.

I guess the fears of a no cap league are on hold for now since the Sunday Ticket verdict has been thrown out.  Kind of funny that among other things, the jury decided to create their own formula to determine what the damages should be.  People are so dumb.

Julius Peppers walks into the Hall of Fame, a well deserved honor. Even amongst giants and gifted athletes he stands out when he’s on the gridiron. He was a part of a few very good teams in Carolina but that 2015 Packers team could have gone all the way if they had avoided total catastrophe. Still one of my favorite players in recent memory. Glad he’s in Canton. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

Julius Peppers walks into the Hall of Fame, a well deserved honor. Even amongst giants and gifted athletes he stands out when he’s on the gridiron. He was a part of a few very good teams in Carolina but that 2015 Packers team could have gone all the way if they had avoided total catastrophe. Still one of my favorite players in recent memory. Glad he’s in Canton. 

The HoF exhibit in the PHoF is gonna have to be rebuilt very soon.

12 hours ago, Refugee said:

It was impressive that he basically played his first season in GB in a fairly heavy pass coverage role .. guy had two picks and returned them both for long TD's, added in 7 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries.  He was a unit.  After that initial season he settled into more of a pass rush role and made the pro bowl in season two. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It was impressive that he basically played his first season in GB in a fairly heavy pass coverage role .. guy had two picks and returned them both for long TD's, added in 7 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries.  He was a unit.  After that initial season he settled into more of a pass rush role and made the pro bowl in season two. 

He played final 4 basketball with the UNC team back in their heydays. His type of athleticism in a frame like that is rare. Watching him return those picks and receives trying to stop him looking like little brothers at a family cookout game will always be hilarious. He could definitely get around a corner but even if you slowed him down, the long arm of the law would find you. Glad I got to see him play for my team but of course wanted to see him (and the Pack) get a ring. 

On 8/1/2024 at 10:14 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

The indoor stadiums are easy, you put a laser in one chain and a receiver in the other across the field. 

The outdoor stadiums it doesn't work because of the crown of the field needed for drainage. 

The problem with a lot of technical solutions like this is that the rules of football do not care where the ball is, they care where the ball is when the ballcarrier is marked down.  Since you can be down by contact when any part of your body touches the ground other than hands/feet/forearms/calves, it's not sufficient to only track "where the ball is."  You're still going to be relying on officials eyeballing it.

• Like 2