NFL News & Notes

Leader

My girlfriend and a couple of her friends went to Madison and then moved to Florida. After spending time on Florida beaches and returning to Wisconsin they coined the term "Wisconfidence". It basicly meant that if they were ever feeling self conscience about their bodies that they knew they could go back and visit and feel much better about themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

NFL handing out a bevy of fines on a Friday afternoon. Aaron Donald got spanked $20k for hitting the QB below the belt

Would that stop you from doing it ? I think not, but its a pretty serious fine for 3 seconds of action.
Sometimes this league is just fubar

Might be better if the fines were a % of game checks or salary.  20k is nothing to Donald, but a rookie or UDFA it is a lot.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Might be better if the fines were a % of game checks or salary.  20k is nothing to Donald, but a rookie or UDFA it is a lot.  

I saw one where they talked about that exact case. But what do the fines actually accomplish ?

Game on the line, yer gonna hit the QB and take your chances with the fine/flag. The NFL has legislated that on a 6'2" QB, there is a small 2 foot slice in the middle of the torso where its OK to hit the guy. And even then, it better not be with any part of your helmet. And you better not land on the QB with more than 83.64% of your body weight.

Its just an absurd way to adjudicate a game and makes it nearly impossible to play Defense

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

I saw one where they talked about that exact case. But what do the fines actually accomplish ?

Game on the line, yer gonna hit the QB and take your chances with the fine/flag. The NFL has legislated that on a 6'2" QB, there is a small 2 foot slice in the middle of the torso where its OK to hit the guy. And even then, it better not be with any part of your helmet. And you better not land on the QB with more than 83.64% of your body weight.

Its just an absurd way to adjudicate a game and makes it nearly impossible to play Defense

What's the alternative?

Do the fines negatively affect future games?  Do they appease sponsors?  Do they help the " making the game safer" image?

I believe the fines escalate based on prior fine history, so who knows if it might change behavior eventually? 

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

NFL handing out a bevy of fines on a Friday afternoon. Aaron Donald got spanked $20k for hitting the QB below the belt

Would that stop you from doing it ? I think not, but its a pretty serious fine for 3 seconds of action.
Sometimes this league is just fubar

I don’t see CMIII on the list. He got a roughing penalty but no fine.  Does that mean the league doesn’t think it was actually a penalty?  

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

What's the alternative?

Tell the owners to stop being such greedy bastards ? :D

It all traces back to ratings and the Hollywood entertainment model of selling The Leading Man in movies and TV shows. If you treated football like an actual team sport, you wouldn't need to keep making new rules every freaking year to protect the QB and pimp the scoring. QBs have immense protection from the rules and from the Refs - they even have 2 dedicated Refs standing behind them to make sure nobody touches them "inappropriately" The reason is because ratings drop when the Stars are sitting. $$$

Either make QBs off limits or make the limits a lot more reasonable. The death by a thousand cuts is absurd, that's my only point.

Gotta run, I just saw a couple of clouds I need to yell at.

old.jpg

8 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Josh Sitton out for the year. A lot of people didn’t like that release at the time but he missed more time in the last 2 years then he did his entire time in GB, and now he’s shut down for the year.

Yeah, that was quite a shock when Sitton got released by the Packers, especially because Lane Taylor had struggled into the preseason. But it seemed like right from the start, Taylor played about as well as Sitton. I think he's actually been better than Sitton was in his last year in Green Bay. 

Sitton was in decline when he was released, but the decline has been steeper than anticipated. He never looked like he was in great physical shape, by NFL standards, and maybe that caught up to him. 

Ouch.

"New Orleans Saints defensive tackle David Onyemata was fined $40,108 for his two roughing-the-passer penalties in Week 1 -- an amount that actually exceeds his game salary of $37,059. However, Onyemata, a fourth-round draft pick in 2016, can appeal to have his fine reduced because it exceeds 50 percent of his salary, according to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. Players can appeal if a fine for one offense exceeds 25 percent of their weekly check or a fine for two offenses exceeds 50 percent"

Odd. Given the CBA provision that the league would levy a penalty greater than 100%.

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ouch.

"New Orleans Saints defensive tackle David Onyemata was fined $40,108 for his two roughing-the-passer penalties in Week 1 -- an amount that actually exceeds his game salary of $37,059. However, Onyemata, a fourth-round draft pick in 2016, can appeal to have his fine reduced because it exceeds 50 percent of his salary, according to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. Players can appeal if a fine for one offense exceeds 25 percent of their weekly check or a fine for two offenses exceeds 50 percent"

Odd. Given the CBA provision that the league would levy a penalty greater than 100%.

Damn. This situation should bolster support for a percentage based fine structure. Mack could be fined 40k every game and not bat a superhuman eyelash.

He has to clear waivers first, right? I swear if the Bills don't claim him and let him go to New England I will be so mad I could crush a grape.  I don't care if they put him on IR or trade him or whatever.  If the teams below the Patriots don't claim him and he goes to New England I will destroy something.

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He has to clear waivers first, right? I swear if the Bills don't claim him and let him go to New England I will be so mad I could crush a grape.  I don't care if they put him on IR or trade him or whatever.  If the teams below the Patriots don't claim him and he goes to New England I will destroy something.

No, he doesn't because of service time. Dorsey will likely trade him.