NFL News & Notes

Leader

ProFootballTalk -   Cole Beasley's extended and at-times confusing Twitter comments from earlier this week about the COVID vaccine give rise to a not-so-implausible question: Is Beasley actually trying to get cut by the Bills?

Adam Schefter -  Free-agent LB Mychal Kendricks was sentenced today to one day in jail, three years of probation, and 300 hours of community service for his 2018 guilty plea on insider-trading charges. Kendricks is now free to resume his NFL career immediately and he wants to continue playing.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -  Free-agent LB Mychal Kendricks was sentenced today to one day in jail, three years of probation, and 300 hours of community service for his 2018 guilty plea on insider-trading charges. Kendricks is now free to resume his NFL career immediately and he wants to continue playing.

That one day in jail will scare him straight. 

Tom Pelissero -   Here’s more from today’s memo, which also says the team responsible for a canceled game because of an outbreak among unvaccinated players/staff will be responsible for financial losses and subject to potential discipline from the commissioner. Wow.

///

I can see the teams setting up two lines heading into the regular season.....
1. Get vaccinated this way.
2. Turn in your playbook.

///

Tom Pelissero - 

The league intends to play its entire 272-game schedule over 18 weeks (17 games per club). And this is key: "We do not anticipate adding a '19th week' to accommodate games that cannot be rescheduled within the current 18 weeks of the regular season."  Play on time or don't play.

Other key competitive aspect of today's memo: Vaccinated individuals who test positive and are asymptomatic can return to duty after two negative tests 24 hours apart. Unvaccinated individuals still subject to mandatory 10-day isolation period.

Andrew Brandt -  Some of those NFL players who have been opposed or quiet about getting vaccines have roster security; they don't need to worry. But down-the-line players are vulnerable without vaccination. Lower talent = lower tolerance.

Tom Pelissero -   And the biggest penalty of all for players: "If a game is cancelled and cannot be rescheduled within the current 18-week scheduled due to a Covid outbreak, neither team’s players will receive their weekly paragraph 5 salary."

///

Ouch!

Edited by Leader

This is simply like players with personality issues. We will tolerate it if its worth the risk for the team to tolerate it. As soon as your skill doesn't outweigh the risk bye bye. It should really only affect end of the roster guys which can't say I blame the teams. The season is only so many games as is so these teams can't lose a number of players to Covid and lose. One or two losses can be a difference in the #1 or #2 seed & falling out of the playoffs. 

The only part I don't agree with is the lost salary. Especially if its a team that has been doing its part and loses its salary because some other team is full of idiots.....

Edited by Spartacus

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

This is simply like players with personality issues. We will tolerate it if its worth the risk for the team to tolerate it. As soon as your skill doesn't outweigh the risk bye bye. It should really only affect end of the roster guys which can't say I blame the teams. The season is only so many games as is so these teams can't lose a number of players to Covid and lose. One or two losses can be a difference in the #1 or #2 seed & falling out of the playoffs. 

The only part I don't agree with is the lost salary. Especially if its a team that has been doing its part and loses its salary because some other team is full of idiots.....

Dont know for sure but dont think there would be any monetary penalty to a vaccinated team that contracted COVID. The vaccines are the best hedge against long term / serious illness - but they're not 100% foolproof.

Clearly the impetus is for the teams to get their players vaccinated.

If thats the case, the potential down time for any one/group of players could be very short - i.e. the team's schedule can go forward with replacements. What the league's trying to prevent is wide spread disease / downtime - which makes perfect sense and can be avoided.

Just get the shot(s).  

The purity test for any players refusing to get the shot based on its FDA approval is that the medicines being administered in the hospital when COVID sick people go there aren't FDA approved either.

So - either these folks need to just stay at home and "heal thyself" or refuse the medicine in the hospital - which I greatly doubt they'd do.

Edited by Leader

ProFootballTalk -   DeAndre Hopkins tweets that he's questioning his NFL future over the vaccination issue, then deletes it; if he retires, Hopkins would owe the Cardinals $22 million in unearned signing bonus money.

Rich Eisen -   Oh yes. Quite glad to be vaxxed. Here to tell the tale because of it. It’s clearly not perfect but it is much better than nothing, which leads to more variants like the one that got thru my vax. Talk to your team doc, DeAndre Hopkins.