NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 1/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, Leader said:

Tanya Ray Fox -   The reality that Brian Flores was fired today and Joe Judge wasn’t isn’t a great look for NFL owners.

• Aaron Nagler -   John Mara really took one of the greatest NFL franchises and turned it into a dumpster fire. It's almost impressive.

Yeah I say it was dumb to fire Flores.  I get that maybe 9-8 and no playoffs wasn't ideal, but come on!  Team is still in way better shape than when he found it and I think with one or two more years he could have gotten them to the playoffs.

It isn't just Judge either.  Both David Culley and Dan Campbell still having jobs is also a bad look.  Now granted neither of them had much talent to work with but I can't see either one of them doing better than 6-11 or something like that.  Flores at least gave the Dolphins two winning seasons which is more than some of these other hacks can do.

6 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

Yeah I say it was dumb to fire Flores.  I get that maybe 9-8 and no playoffs wasn't ideal, but come on!  Team is still in way better shape than when he found it and I think with one or two more years he could have gotten them to the playoffs.

It isn't just Judge either.  Both David Culley and Dan Campbell still having jobs is also a bad look.  Now granted neither of them had much talent to work with but I can't see either one of them doing better than 6-11 or something like that.  Flores at least gave the Dolphins two winning seasons which is more than some of these other hacks can do.

Bad organizations are gonna make bad organizational decisions. Apparently the most recent was not drafting Herbert. Flores wanted Herbert - who's about as close a second coming to Marino that MIA would probably ever see.

Edited by Leader

On 1/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, squire12 said:

All depends on how the playoffs shake out.

Yup I was pretty tough on Barry early on, but his work with the defense being without JA and Z for most of the year hasn't been too bad.  Only main problem I have is his scheming against scrambling QBs.

Definitely going to have to see how fundamentally sound he is in the playoffs though.  Can't afford any more of those Dom Capers type screwups that the LA Rams were doing last Sunday.  Oh man watching that game I was seeing a lot of flashbacks to his blunders.  And we can't have Kevin King isolated on the Bucs receivers right before the half like last year.  I'd say those are the benchmarks Barry must beat.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Bad organizations are gonna make bad organizational decisions. Apparently the most recent was not drafting Herbert. Flores wanted Herbert - who's about as close a second coming to Marino that MIA would probably ever see.

nobody wanted Herbert over Tua. 

The only knock on Tua was the injury.  Honestly, Tua seems like the next Ryan Tannehill - a guy who will be successful on his next team.

14 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Could very well be. I dont follow college ball close enough to have a good feel for what Herbert was accomplishing at Oregon.  

In other words - I dont know what "flaws" he was being accused of having when draft time rolled around - but he went with the sixth pick....so they apparently weren't egregious 

Regardless - the eyeball test - indicates to me that Herbert's got it ALL OVER Tua when it comes to chucking the ball.

Again - he might have been an idiot in college - but he's HUGE and has a rocket for an arm - neither of which can be coached into Tua.

Edited by Leader

ESPN -  A Denver judge ruled Tuesday the heirs of former Broncos owner Edgar Kaiser Jr. cannot buy back any portion of the franchise as part of a right of first refusal agreement, clearing the way for a potential sale of the team.

A holdings group, representing Kaiser's estate, had petitioned the court that it had right of refusal for any sale of the franchise dating back to when Kaiser sold the team to Pat Bowlen in 1984. Kaiser died in 2012 and Bowlen died in 2019.

Denver District judge Shelley L. Gilman ruled Kaiser's heirs had no claim and the right of first refusal included in the 1984 sales agreement between Kaiser and Bowlen was "no longer valid or enforceable in any respect.''

The Broncos are currently owned by the Pat Bowlen Trust, put into place by Bowlen before he stepped away from the team's day-to-day operations in 2014. Bowlen died in 2019 after a long battle with Alzheimer's Disease.

11 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

The only knock on Tua was the injury.  Honestly, Tua seems like the next Ryan Tannehill - a guy who will be successful on his next team.

Granted I'm just a random guy on the internet, but Herbert was my favorite QB last year

Ian Rapoport -  The Jaguars will interview Bama OC and ex-Texans head coach Bill O’Brien tomorrow. With 4 playoffs appearances in 6 seasons in HOU, O’Brien has a strong resume on the field. It fell apart when he got involved in personnel, and he has no plans for that this time.