NFL News & Notes

Leader

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Chris Tomasson -   Vikings co-DC Adam Zimmer on team ranked No. 31 in NFL in total defense, etc.

"It's been disappointing as far as where the rankings are." But he said they're "close" to being a good defense.

///

Close....and yet so far.

Funny. "Close but no cigar". That summarizes the whole history of the Vikings franchise. Were there more classy, die-hard Vikings fans (when I lived in MN due to job, I encountered a few, but not many), I may be willing to have pity on them all. As things stand, they will continue to root more for the Packers to lose than their Vikings to win. The psyche of an envious step-child or a scorned and bitter ex-wife. Ugly. Having said that, whether the Packers win another SB this year or not, let us be grateful: for our 4x legacy, for having two great QB's in a row, for mostly dominating the division for the last 30 years, etc., etc. 

58 minutes ago, Leader said:

ESPN Stats & Info -   The NFL's rushing leader Jonathan Taylor has 529 more rushing yards than any other player this season, which is tracking to be the 5th-largest margin between the Top 2 rushers since the 1970 merger right now.

I love Taylor, but...that particular statistic doesn't have the asterisk for Derrick Henry  and McCaffery sitting out most of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

I love Taylor, but...that particular statistic doesn't have the asterisk for Derrick Henry  and McCaffery sitting out most of the season.

McCaffrey barely has two 1000 yd seasons in the last 5 years. He’s not in that tier anymore. 

• Like 1

K, now do Z. 

On another note, I like this because AZ likely is going to be the 5 going back into Dallas next week. I'll be pulling for another Dallas loss there, likely sending AZ to GB for the divisional. I think that's our best matchup assuming LA and TB don't get upset. 

Ian Rapoport -  The Jaguars plan to interview former #Texans coach Bill O’Brien for their vacant HC job next week after Bama team plays in the National Championship on Monday.

• Albert Breer -   Bill O'Brien actually makes plenty of sense for the Jags. Made the playoffs four times in six-plus years in Houston. Also, transitioned Deshaun Watson from the Clemson spread into the NFL—a transition that was rockier than expected for Trevor Lawrence.

///

From the Urban Meyers experience to Bill O'Brien? That'll go over like a lead balloon.

Interesting that this year (no doubt another attempt to make more $$$), the NFL Wildcard Schedule includes: 

1. Two Saturday games
  2. Three Sunday games
  3. One Monday night game

Would seem to create a pretty big disadvantage for the winner of that Monday game to then have to play on a shorter week in the divisional round, but I'm guessing that team will at least be in one of the Sunday divisional games, instead of Saturday. 

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Interesting that this year (no doubt another attempt to make more $$$), the NFL Wildcard Schedule includes: 

1. Two Saturday games
  2. Three Sunday games
  3. One Monday night game

Would seem to create a pretty big disadvantage for the winner of that Monday game to then have to play on a shorter week in the divisional round, but I'm guessing that team will at least be in one of the Sunday divisional games, instead of Saturday. 

I would assume they'd be in the Sunday games.