NFL News & Notes

Leader

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

IF the Packers weren't so jammed up against the cap, it would have been a no brainer.

Right, the Packers FO is walking around the parking lot picking up pennies and some fans want them to handout a 750K unearned bonus. Packers are so tight against the cap that a few times this season they ran with less than a 53-man roster to save paying the extra 10-12K of gameday check to an elevated PS player, yet they should handout a 750K bonus a player didn't make. OK.  

20 hours ago, Leader said:

Albert Breer -  I will say this—there's a strong list of black HC candidates this year. Among them ...

• Ex-Dolphins coach Brian Flores
• Rams DC Raheem Morris
• Bucs DC Todd Bowles
• Bills DC Leslie Frazier
• Patriots ILBs coach Jerod Mayo
• 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans.

8 openings. We'll see.

///

For no known reason I see Bowles hanging around Tampa till Arians hangs them up.

For some reason I thought Frazier was like 3000 years old.  Do you think someone would give him another shot at a HC gig though?  He did pretty poorly in MN.  

Is it all but written that Eric Biememy is HC when Andy Reid retires?

ProFootballTalk -

Jim Irsay:   “Colt fans, here in the desert now. And feeling the pain and disappointment from this season. It certainly is something where I apologize for. And we have allowed, and I have allowed, doubt, fear, and a lack of faith to slip into our DNA. And it will not stand.”

He doesn’t elaborate or explain on why or how he thinks he or the team allowed “doubt, fear, and a lack of faith” to affect the team, and how it kept the Colts from getting to the playoffs. It’s possible, frankly, that he’s talking about the surge of players who had doubt, fear, and/or a lack of faith regarding the COVID vaccines, which directly impacted player availability.

“Every walking step in this offseason is committed to getting the horseshoe back to where it should be,” Irsay added. “We understand what happens and I understand what happens, and it’s unacceptable. I promise you one thing. Anyone walking into the 56th Street complex this year will be walking in with all chips in. Period. If you don’t want to put all your chips in on the table for winning the next one, then don’t walk in the building.”

It’s unclear whether this is just Schrutian blood alone moves the wheels of history stuff, or whether there’s some deeper problem with the organization he’s trying to address. The vaccination issue, given Irsay’s past comments and the presence of multiple key players (including quarterback Carson Wentz) who refused to get the jabs, would be the most obvious basis for his complaint.

“This commitment starts with me,” Irsay concluded. “It starts with my self-analysis. And I can tell all of Colts nation this is something that every day, every hour, every minute we’re working to fix. It’s unacceptable, and it will not stand. Thank you.”

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Norm said:

It's an Office reference. A somewhat obscure one that's also kind of uniquely worded. 

I laughed but it was random for sure

I’ve been told that the NFL is random. Irsay just wandering the desert, embracing the totality of the world he lives in. 

• Like 1

Tom Pelissero -  The Vikings requested an interview with Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett for their head coaching job. A busy bye for Hackett, who had Jaguars on Friday, has Broncos and Bears today and now Minnesota likely on Sunday.

Vikings owner/president Mark Wilf said the team will hire a GM first, and those interviews start Sunday with Titans exec Monti Ossenfort. But under anti-tampering rules, the window closes Sunday to interview coaches with byes such as Hackett, so makes sense to get started now.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Tom Pelissero -  The Vikings requested an interview with Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett for their head coaching job. A busy bye for Hackett, who had Jaguars on Friday, has Broncos and Bears today and now Minnesota likely on Sunday.

Vikings owner/president Mark Wilf said the team will hire a GM first, and those interviews start Sunday with Titans exec Monti Ossenfort. But under anti-tampering rules, the window closes Sunday to interview coaches with byes such as Hackett, so makes sense to get started now.

For some reason, I have a very strong feeling the Bears are going to hire Hackett. Pairing him with Fields just makes too much sense.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -   Vikings requested permission to interview Bucs’ DC Todd Bowles for their HC job. The Wilf family that owns the Vikings is from Elizabeth, N.J.; Bowles is from Elizabeth, N.J.

///

Jersey Strong

I wish the NFL would put a rule in place that says teams can’t interview or “distract” coaches that are still in the hunt for a Superb Owl.  I’d like for our coaches to be singularly focused on their important work as opposed to being flown around the country for multiple interviews.  I imagine the emotional energy alone is completely draining and taxing for these sought-after assistants.

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I wish the NFL would put a rule in place that says teams can’t interview or “distract” coaches that are still in the hunt for a Superb Owl.  I’d like for our coaches to be singularly focused on their important work as opposed to being flown around the country for multiple interviews.  I imagine the emotional energy alone is completely draining and taxing for these sought-after assistants.

I would think - dont know - that coaches caught up in playoff preparation would do these initial interviews via Zoom etc.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

I would think - dont know - that coaches caught up in playoff preparation would do these initial interviews via Zoom etc.

I’m not sure either.  Though, the emotional energy of preparing for interviews is still quite distracting.  I’m ok with other team’s coaches being distracted, just not ours 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

I’m not sure either.  Though, the emotional energy of preparing for interviews is still quite distracting.  I’m ok with other team’s coaches being distracted, just not ours 😀

Well, fortunate for us that they're occurring during our off week.