NFL News & Notes

Leader

Could someone recap the DAL-SF fake punt? I only saw the highlight of the fake punt, but then it looked like the cowboys were trying to prevent a substitution, but they could only do that by running their offense with the punt team. 

I did see the end of the game. Suffice it to say, I'm not sure what to think of McCarthy. How many times did Rodgers wave off a play like when he was in GB?

24 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Could someone recap the DAL-SF fake punt? I only saw the highlight of the fake punt, but then it looked like the cowboys were trying to prevent a substitution, but they could only do that by running their offense with the punt team. 

I did see the end of the game. Suffice it to say, I'm not sure what to think of McCarthy. How many times did Rodgers wave off a play like when he was in GB?

@pgwingman

Watch the video of the punt fake and subsequent fiasco!!!!

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

@pgwingman

lol

I've watched this like 5 times now and I'm still confused. The whole thing looked like a bluff to get SF to spend a timeout. But instead they just gave up 5 yards and 30 seconds.

McCarthy has a way of trying so hard to outsmart you that he outsmarts himself

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

@pgwingman

It gets even worse...

You're down 16 pts, 12+ mins to go, you need yards & time, you don't need the 49ers to burn a TO.    It's pretty fitting that DAL ran out of time on their last drive.  Wonder where they could have gained it (plus failing to get off the last play of the 4Q with 6 secs left when Dak is ready to have C snap the ball)....🙄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It gets even worse...

You're down 16 pts, 12+ mins to go, you need yards & time, you don't need the 49ers to burn a TO.    It's pretty fitting that DAL ran out of time on their last drive.  Wonder where they could have gained it (plus failing to get off the last play of the 4Q with 6 secs left when Dak is ready to have C snap the ball)....🙄

Yeah this was the confusing part. It looked like SF had their defense on the field, while Dallas still had the punt team on. Dallas didn't have an advantage, they were decidedly disadvantaged but instead tried to get SF confused.

At first I thought I was confused, but it turns out I was only confused as to how a team could be that stupid.

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

lol

I've watched this like 5 times now and I'm still confused. The whole thing looked like a bluff to get SF to spend a timeout. But instead they just gave up 5 yards and 30 seconds.

McCarthy has a way of trying so hard to outsmart you that he outsmarts himself

There's no ******* way MM would come up with any trash like this. For real. He does a lot of really dumb stuff and maybe he was okay with whatever they were trying to do, but I'll never believe that crap was his idea lol

That being said, did anyone ask a coach "ummm wtf was that??"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

There's no ******* way MM would come up with any trash like this. For real. He does a lot of really dumb stuff and maybe he was okay with whatever they were trying to do, but I'll never believe that crap was his idea lol

That being said, did anyone ask a coach "ummm wtf was that??"

MM not creative enough for that playcall

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

MM not creative enough for that playcall

He also doesn't strike me as kind of new age though guy that runs a "trick" play just to get a team to use a TO, especially whatever that was lol

I could be wrong, just doesn't feel like anything he'd come up with. 

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

@pgwingman

Absolutely no way that was delay of game though, there's like 4-5 of those "clock hits 0 as ball is snapped" plays a game and they're never called.

Still completely baffled as to what was trying to be accomplished. I've seen this done a few times ON 4TH DOWN. A team runs their punter on the field but leaves the rest of their offense and a team doesn't know if it's a punt or not and calls TO. On 1st down, you know they aren't punting, go ahead and run a play with your punter as QB and a 240lb OL.

Mac needs to answer for that one. Just totally baffling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Absolutely no way that was delay of game though, there's like 4-5 of those "clock hits 0 as ball is snapped" plays a game and they're never called.

Still completely baffled as to what was trying to be accomplished. I've seen this done a few times ON 4TH DOWN. A team runs their punter on the field but leaves the rest of their offense and a team doesn't know if it's a punt or not and calls TO. On 1st down, you know they aren't punting, go ahead and run a play with your punter as QB and a 240lb OL.

Mac needs to answer for that one. Just totally baffling.

Yeah I just need this explained..I feel like there could be a 20 minute documentary just on that one play and what was going on lol

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It was definitely delay of game. The refs were (rightfully) focused on EXACTLY that because of the Cowboys shenanigans.

Was 100% the right call.

It's not comparable to the everyday variety where refs aren't NEARLY as focused on play clock as they were in this situation. Was Dallas' own fault, because they drew the attention to it themselves.

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah I just need this explained..I feel like there could be a 20 minute documentary just on that one play and what was going on lol

I could see risking it if they were up 16, trying to get the Niners to waste a TO, but who cares when you're down how many TOs your opponent has? Lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It was definitely delay of game. The refs were (rightfully) focused on EXACTLY that because of the Cowboys shenanigans.

Was 100% the right call.

It's not comparable to the everyday variety where refs aren't NEARLY as focused on play clock as they were in this situation. Was Dallas' own fault, because they drew the attention to it themselves.

The refs are always focused on the play clock. It was 100% delay of game as the official wording of the rule states. It was 100% not delay of game in the actual practice of the rule where the clock hits 0, the ref confirms it with his handheld clock on his person and looks back up and if the ball still isn't snapped, it's delay. They threw that flag literally as the clock turned 0 and fractions of a second later Dak snapped the ball.

The only reason I'd accept for that call is the ref who holds the snap so that San Fran could sub, as they're allowed to do by Dallas subbing, didn't feel comfortable he was far enough away from the play to properly officiate and thus made the call. 

Either way, a play so stupid it hurts to try and even comprehend the reasoning.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The refs are always focused on the play clock

No they're not.

We know this because we FREQUENTLY see plays like that go uncalled. And when they were focused on it, they called it.

There's no issue with consistency here. Dallas did that to themselves by drawing focus to it.

17 minutes ago, Norm said:

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I could see risking it if they were up 16, trying to get the Niners to waste a TO, but who cares when you're down how many TOs your opponent has? Lol.

That 2 play sequence is just bizarre.

Punt fake play ends with player going out of bounds with 13:55 remaining. 

Playclock resets to 40 seconds and starts to run.

Game clock stays stopped until the initial play clock is down to like 15 seconds.

Then play clock gets reset to 25 as game clock continues to run.

Then Dallas with 20 seconds on the new playclock does the mass substitution and the ref properly allows for defense to substitute.

If anything, Dallas go the benefit of a longer playclock (25 on the initial 40 + full 25 on the reset)...... but only lost 30 seconds in actual game time.

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1