NFL News & Notes

Leader

Over three years ago I listed (a bit) to Mayock at the Senior Bowl/Combine, but was never really a fan (always preferred Rapoport and the RB commentator, over guys like Eisen and Mayock).

Two years back I liked Connor Rodgers live draft coverage on Bleacher Report.

Last year I listened a ton to Bootleg football's Kollman and Snyder, pre-draft. That's the most informative site (for me) to this point.

Maybe this year I find a site that is better still................... the internet is ever-evolving.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

34 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Over three years ago I listed (a bit) to Mayock at the Senior Bowl/Combine, but was never really a fan (always preferred Rapoport and the RB commentator, over guys like Eisen and Mayock).

Two years back I liked Connor Rodgers live draft coverage on Bleacher Report.

Last year I listened a ton to Bootleg football's Kollman and Snyder, pre-draft. That's the most informative site (for me) to this point.

Maybe this year I find a site that is better still................... the internet is ever-evolving.

Actually....the internet is static....it's you that's evolving :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/18/nba-referees-condemn-dak-prescotts-recent-comments-about-fans-throwing-items-at-officials/

People who don't see that what Dak said was wildly inappropriate need to check their moral compass. 

Or perhaps people who think they might expect or look to a professional football player for a moral compass need a better map or a new spiritual guide.

Football players say stupid stuff all the time - especial when having a mic in your face after a crushing loss. Yes, what Dak said was stupid and inappropriate, but the context does matter.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, BAM said:

Or perhaps people who think they might expect or look to a professional football player for a moral compass need a better map or a new spiritual guide.

Football players say stupid stuff all the time - especial when having a mic in your face after a crushing loss. Yes, what Dak said was stupid and inappropriate, but the context does matter.

I am not saying he deserves a suspension or even a fine. Your point is exactly the right one. He is not someone who I would cheer for.

Brady being rude after a game demonstrates he also is a sore loser, but it isn't being a sore loser that is the problem. The reporter didn't goad Dak into this. He threw his fans under the bus, then turned and threw the refs under the bus. He thought he was being clever not to condemn violence against refs. 

Edited by HokieHigh

Remember how many Cowboys players (and McCarthy himself, albeit in a guarded way) have talked recently about the refs being to blame for a loss, especially after the Cards game.  There is a culture among them to lay blame for a loss on outside factors, instead of manning-up, taking the blame and trying to get better. As has been mentioned elsewhere they are the most indisciplined (ie most penalised) team in the NFL (while the Packers happen to be the LEAST penalised team this season). 

This is something different from McCarthy, I don't remember it being a particular problem when he was HC in Green Bay. Perhaps the culture is different in Texas. Whatever the reason, it is up to him to set the tone in taking ownership of defeats (both players and coaches). He doesn't seem to have a firm grip on that, at this time.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BAM said:

I've never looked to a professional sports player for anything other than enjoyment watching them and their teams play.....and if I've got a moral compass...I'd have to guess that came from my parents, teachers and intellect. 

9 hours ago, BAM said:

Actually...not all of them say stupid stuff and I dont cut those that do any slack because of the *crushing* responsibility to talk about the game just played. The "Poor Baby" excuse does not apply IMO. As I said somewhere else, maturity and humility would come in handy....and Dak's certainly old enough. 

Edited by Leader

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This is something different from McCarthy, I don't remember it being a particular problem when he was HC in Green Bay. Perhaps the culture is different in Texas. Whatever the reason, it is up to him to set the tone in taking ownership of defeats (both players and coaches). He doesn't seem to have a firm grip on that, at this time.

Heck, I can recall people at another site being upset with McCarthy for being too nice to the refs and thinking he should be chewing them out and throwing tantrums on the field more. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leader said:

I've never looked to a professional sports player for anything other than enjoyment watching them and their teams play.....and if I've got a moral compass...I'd have to guess that came from my parents, teachers and intellect. 

Actually...not all of them say stupid stuff and I dont cut those that do any slack because of the *crushing* responsibility to talk about the game just played. The "Poor Baby" excuse does not apply IMO. As I said somewhere else, maturity and humility would come in handy....and Dak's certainly old enough. 

It's not an excuse it is simply the context. Breaking News: Dak is a Mouthy Poor Sport 

All the outrage directed at his stupid comment distracts from where the real focus should be - identifying and prosecuting (fines, season ticket revocation...) the actual perpetrators of the assault on the officials - the "fans" who threw things.

Dak is an idiot, perhaps he's a **** - but he not only didn't throw things at the refs, he didn't even see it. When first told he thought it was at his teammates, he had to be corrected and told it was at the officials.

All I can say is, what a waste of moral outrage to focus in on a dumb athlete's stupid response to a questions moments after a heartbreaking home playoff loss.

I consider myself to be a good man who works hard to set a good example and live up to the high standards I aspire to meet. And I know, I've lost my temper and done and said stupid things in my life, especially when I was a young man.

If you can't relate, than by all means cast stones from the moral high ground and carry on with the "why I never(s)!" and the "can you believe(s)"...

IMO this qualifies as "much ado about nothing."

Edited by BAM
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Remember how many Cowboys players (and McCarthy himself, albeit in a guarded way) have talked recently about the refs being to blame for a loss, especially after the Cards game.  There is a culture among them to lay blame for a loss on outside factors, instead of manning-up, taking the blame and trying to get better. As has been mentioned elsewhere they are the most indisciplined (ie most penalised) team in the NFL (while the Packers happen to be the LEAST penalised team this season). 

It was odd to see from an MM team. Seems beneath the MM I remember.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BAM said:

It's not an excuse it is simply the context. Breaking News: Dak is a Mouthy Poor Sport 

All the outrage directed at his stupid comment distracts from where the real focus should be - identifying and prosecuting (fines, season ticket revocation...) the actual perpetrators of the assault on the officials - the "fans" who threw things.

Dak is an idiot, perhaps he's a **** - but he not only didn't throw things at the refs, he didn't even see it. When first told he thought it was at his teammates, he had to be corrected and told it was at the officials.

All I can say is, what a waste of moral outrage to focus in on a dumb athlete's stupid response to a questions moments after a heartbreaking home playoff loss.

I consider myself to be a good man who works hard to set a good example and live up to the high standards I aspire to meet. And I know, I've lost my temper and done and said stupid things in my life, especially when I was a young man.

If you can't relate, than by all means cast stones from the moral high ground and carry on with the "why I never(s)!" and the "can you believe(s)"...

IMO this qualifies as "much ado about nothing."

So, what punishment fits the crime? What if an otherwise good person had just a little too much to drink, was really frustrated and threw a bottle, but immediately realized that it was a poor reaction?  

I agree that Dak did nothing wrong.  He just said something dumb.  

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, what punishment fits the crime? What if an otherwise good person had just a little too much to drink, was really frustrated and threw a bottle, but immediately realized that it was a poor reaction?  

I suggested that it likely be some kind of fine and or revocation of season tickets or banned from attending future games, but I think there may be other or better ideas out there. 

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He apologized for his remark .. that's good enough for me.  Stupid comment in the heat of the moment.

• Like 5