Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

An 11.5 game lead gone. Is this the biggest collapse in MN sports history? Not upgrading the rotation at the deadline is going to be talked about for years if they fail to win the division or go one-and-done in the playoffs. 

It's just been a couple of historic stretches by each team

We started 40-18 through June 2. Cleveland has gone 43-18 since June 1.

Edited by Klomp
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

An 11.5 game lead gone. Is this the biggest collapse in MN sports history? Not upgrading the rotation at the deadline is going to be talked about for years if they fail to win the division or go one-and-done in the playoffs. 

It was a very early big lead so I'd say no.

The Twins need Berrios and Odorizzi to step their games up if they are going to get this done. 

A big part of the reason that the Twins took such a big lead in the first two months of the season was because Berrios and Odorizzi were pitching at a high level, and making it into the 7th inning. 

I wanted the team to add another starting pitcher before the deadline, but they could have gotten Cy Young himself and it wouldn’t have mattered if Berrios and Odorizzi fall apart these last two months. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 11:32 AM, wcblack34 said:

No.  Going from 6-0 to missing the playoffs is the biggest collapse in MN sports history.

22 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

While the bullpen isn’t great, it’s getting massively overworked. 

Its a struggle for our starters to get through 6 innings. No bullpen is going to last long under those circumstances. 

League average start is......5 and 1/3, give or take. That said, sure it would help. But I don't think people realize how much the game has changed. A lot of people think Gibson is bad, but sort on stats and compare him to other starters........It's a hitter's game.

And I don't think people realize how bad most pens are. Now, the Twins have obviously been struggling more than they were at the start of the season with their pen work. But the Twins have an pen ERA of 4.50. That puts them in the middle of MLB in terms of pen ERA. There are teams that have pen ERA's over 6, and yes, I wrote that right, there are teams, plural. Obviously, not playoff teams, but some teams that are making a push, like Washington has a pen ERA over 6.

Also, that was just nice to have the offense go off like early in the season as that was the biggest part of us winning and some of what has been missing is the offense putting up quite as many runs.