Jump to content
Heimdallr

Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I will continue to insist that until the economics of baseball are dramatically changed, the Twins will never be able to compete for the top free agents regardless of whatever the Pohlads even are willing to spend.  The economic systems of MLB (and to another degree, the NBA) are so skewed (and screwed up) towards big markets, the middle to small markets have little to no chance.  It's why we continue to see the only teams in play for top free agents are LA, Boston, Chicago, NY, Philly et al.  The smaller markets have little chance unless they are willing to significantly overpay.  In the case of a Gerrit Cole, they probably would have had to pay $350M or more to bring him in.  A mid-market team can't do that, because that can't ever make it up in revenue, despite what most think.  The Twins don't even generate that amount of revenue in 1 season.

This is very true, but if Leicester City can win the Premiership, the Twins can win a World Series. They can't buy one, but they can win one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

This is very true, but if Leicester City can win the Premiership, the Twins can win a World Series. They can't buy one, but they can win one.

Oh, they certainly can, but they just can't compete consistently.  They have to do like the Royals are doing, competing for a short window for 1-2 yrs and then have to tear it all down again.  And there aren't many top-line free agents are going to want be on a team that will, in 2 years, be a 60-70 win squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gophers play in the Outback (Hall of Fame) Bowl on January 1 at Noon CST.

How does that rank in Big 10 Bowl bids?  I know Ohio State is in the Fiesta Bowl (College Playoffs) and Wisconsin is in the Rose Bowl.  Penn State is in the Cotton Bowl, is that more "prestigious" than the Outback Bowl?  Did they get selected ahead of us?

Indiana made the Gator Bowl.  Michigan is in the Citrus Bowl.  Illinois in the Redbox Bowl.  Iowa in the Holiday Bowl.  Michigan State in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, since72 said:

Gophers play in the Outback (Hall of Fame) Bowl on January 1 at Noon CST.

How does that rank in Big 10 Bowl bids?  I know Ohio State is in the Fiesta Bowl (College Playoffs) and Wisconsin is in the Rose Bowl.  Penn State is in the Cotton Bowl, is that more "prestigious" than the Outback Bowl?  Did they get selected ahead of us?

Indiana made the Gator Bowl.  Michigan is in the Citrus Bowl.  Illinois in the Redbox Bowl.  Iowa in the Holiday Bowl.  Michigan State in the Pinstripe Bowl.

In an article I read in terms of interesting bowl games, they  had the match-up as one of the top 5-6 bowl games happening, just because it's two interesting teams to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do believe the Cotton Bowl is ahead of the Outback Bowl in prestige as it's one of the New Year's Six, and I think the Citrus Bowl is also considered slightly ahead of it, so the Outback is #4 (the playoff would be considered #1).

Edited by swede700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No starters yet for the Twins, but getting Romo back and now signing Tyler Clippard is really nice for the pen. Pair them with Taylor Rogers and Trevor May, got some nice arms back in the pen, and then we can still bring in younger guys to finish off the pen, especially some of those hard throwers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 9:40 AM, swede700 said:

I do believe the Cotton Bowl is ahead of the Outback Bowl in prestige as it's one of the New Year's Six, and I think the Citrus Bowl is also considered slightly ahead of it, so the Outback is #4 (the playoff would be considered #1).

I'd say this is accurate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Klomp said:

NDSU will play for its 8th FCS title in 9 years.

Lance: 15-21, 223 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 11 carries, 64 yards, 2 TDs

Season stats: 67.1%, 2,714 yards, 28 TDs, O INTs and 139 carries, 934 yards, 13 TDs
NDSU records: 67.7%, 3,111 yards, 34 TDs

Edited by Klomp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike NDSU so very much. 

That said, Lance looks better than Wentz ever did, and what NDSU has done this decade is remarkable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vixen moving up to division one this year and the first draft of our schedule is a doozy. 
 

Game 1 - Defending D2 champs and the only team To defeat us last year - on the road

Game 4 - Defending D1 champs and the best team in the country for years - on the road

Game 5 - defending D2 champs - at home

Game 7 - D1 runners up the last few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I dislike NDSU so very much. 

That said, Lance looks better than Wentz ever did, and what NDSU has done this decade is remarkable. 

It's really kinda scary to think that Trey is doing this as a redshirt freshman. Carson didn't even play more than mop-up duty until he was a RS junior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Klomp said:

It's really kinda scary to think that Trey is doing this as a redshirt freshman. Carson didn't even play more than mop-up duty until he was a RS junior. 

Yeah. Apparently NDSU has become a QB factory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×