Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I’m as big a fan of education as you’ll find, but their “job” does not require a college degree. Nor should it. Forcing a education is likely as effective as requiring none at all. If you think athletes cheat in college now, wait until that’s a rule. 

Their job might not even last them 3 years (NFL), or they may not even make it at all (MLB, NBA, NHL). And while the league’s may not care whether or not a player gets an education, the player’s associations should absolutely require it. It’s the Union’s responsibility to watch out for the best interests of the players, and that should include a head start with a college degree. Which for the vast majority of them will help them more long term than a long shot at a long career. And as for the cheating, that’s not the concern of the sport’s league’s or their respective player unions. That’s an issue for the schools.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Their job might not even last them 3 years (NFL), or they may not even make it at all (MLB, NBA, NHL). And while the league’s may not care whether or not a player gets an education, the player’s associations should absolutely require it. It’s the Union’s responsibility to watch out for the best interests of the players, and that should include a head start with a college degree. Which for the vast majority of them will help them more long term than a long shot at a long career.

"Best interest of the players" isn't necessarily a college degree. Plenty of other post-playing career options that don't require a college degree.

55 minutes ago, Klomp said:

"Best interest of the players" isn't necessarily a college degree. Plenty of other post-playing career options that don't require a college degree.

I’m curious as to what you think those opportunities are that wouldn’t be aided by a college degree? 

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes

not every profession requires a degree or equivalent. In fact, many major corporations are removing a degree from their qualifications when posting positions. Equivalent experience is often more valuable, IMO. 

I’m not suggesting that I don’t value my degree or that people should stop getting 4 year degrees, but if an “applicant” has shown proficiency or excelled in his field, the piece of paper shouldn’t be a barrier to earning money or a better opportunity. Especially when the employee shelf life is as short as it is.

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m curious as to what you think those opportunities are that wouldn’t be aided by a college degree? 

Coaching, broadcasting. Sure, a degree can help, but it isn't really necessary.

Not to mention that players that are forced to get an education aren't exactly going to be focused on getting a degree in something useful for if they don't make it in the big leagues. A lot of them will take the easiest degree that they can get

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

Coaching, broadcasting. Sure, a degree can help, but it isn't really necessary.

You’re also talking about jobs that go a small percentage of players, many of who had longer than average careers. How many former players who are in broadcasting are guys who you never heard about in the NFL? 

There are going to be nearly 900 unemployed football players in 2 months. 

You don’t need a degree to play football, or baseball, or basketball, etc. But having a degree gives you a head start in the world beyond sports. And when you know that it’s such an extreme long shot for these guys to have a true career in professional sports, knowing that all of your players have that head start to fall back on seems like a pretty responsible thing to do. 

Twins won last night, beating their seventh Cy Young winner this year, I believe. They've had good luck against solid pitching. Though, hopefully, their luck holds and Kepler doesn't have to go on the Injured List and that Buxton comes back soon. The Twins are starting to get dinged up, especially position players.

• Like 2

MadBaum would be a nice addition, but it doesn’t feel like his current incarnation is a huge addition. He’s not the ace he once was (which is why he’s available). Maybe it’s a 2-fer where you improve your rotation a little bit and also the bullpen by sending an arm there for long relief. Still, it’s a little underwhelming to me. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

You’re also talking about jobs that go a small percentage of players, many of who had longer than average careers. How many former players who are in broadcasting are guys who you never heard about in the NFL? 

There are going to be nearly 900 unemployed football players in 2 months. 

You don’t need a degree to play football, or baseball, or basketball, etc. But having a degree gives you a head start in the world beyond sports. And when you know that it’s such an extreme long shot for these guys to have a true career in professional sports, knowing that all of your players have that head start to fall back on seems like a pretty responsible thing to do. 

Bucky Brooks' name came right to the top of my head.

I personally understand your point, but people can't be forced into doing anything they don't want to do if it's not required to participate.  The only thing the players' union could potentially do (if they don't do it already) is assisting players to get their degrees while they're still playing.  

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

MadBaum would be a nice addition, but it doesn’t feel like his current incarnation is a huge addition. He’s not the ace he once was (which is why he’s available). Maybe it’s a 2-fer where you improve your rotation a little bit and also the bullpen by sending an arm there for long relief. Still, it’s a little underwhelming to me. 

How about get both MadBaum and Will Smith from the Giants and give them an okay-ish prospect in return, versus what MadBaum would cost, improve the SP and improve the pen, which isn't actually that bad already.