Titans Hire Mike Vrabel as Head Coach

TitanLegend

Just now, .Buzz said:

I mean, if you assume this season meant nothing and he'll completely turn it around next year than maybe, but he wasn't close to a top 10-12 QB this year. 

Don't think there's much to turn around. He had a really unlucky season regarding interceptions(had one of the lowest turnover worth throw %s in the league), and while he played like **** in a couple games(Pittsburgh, Arizona mainly), he led the league in 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives and played really well in the playoffs. Not concerned about him.

Think a lot of the problem with people's disappointment in him is how over hyped some made him after the last two years(and people just box score scouting).

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

And if he doesn't get a HC job this go around then I think he'll probably get one next year.

Would be cool to see what he could get out of Mariota even if its just for a year though.

I already gave him the HC job in my Expansion Sim. ;)

AFC South:

Texans: Bill O'Brien- offensive assistant/wide receivers coach/quarterback coach/offensive coordinator for Patriots. 

Colts: Josh McDaniels- personnel assistant/defensive assistant/quarterback coach/offensive coordinator for Patriots. 

Titans: Mike Vrabel- longtime Patriots linebacker from 2001-2008. Went with Patriots OC O'Brien to coach for Texans.

Jaguars: Doug Marrone- Belichick was asked to consult on the coaching search for their coach and reportedly gave Marrone a glowing review that heavily factored into his hire.

It's all in the long game fellas. It's all in the long game. 

The people getting HC jobs nowadays...Lol

1 year coordinator, 23rd in defensive efficiency, and a great interview = 1 of the select 32 positions in the NFL.

You can't tell me Steve Wilks, Dave Toub, or tons of other candidates wouldn't have been better.

Loved Vrabel as a player, but Joey Bosa has a different take on him as a developer and leader coach as his time at OSU rub some players the wrong way.

They were rejoicing when Larry Johnson became the DL coach.

Head scratcher for sure...hope he does well.

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

The people getting HC jobs nowadays...Lol

1 year coordinator, 23rd in defensive efficiency, and a great interview = 1 of the select 32 positions in the NFL.

You can't tell me Steve Wilks, Dave Toub, or tons of other candidates wouldn't have been better.

Loved Vrabel as a player, but Joey Bosa has a different take on him as a developer and leader coach as his time at OSU rub some players the wrong way.

They were rejoicing when Larry Johnson became the DL coach.

Head scratcher for sure...hope he does well.

Every coach has their downfalls and positives. And Bosa may not like him, but the Texans LBs have nothing but great things to say about him, so I dunno. But when you have 53(or in the case of college like 90+ players) in a locker room, there are gonna be differing opinions on how coaches should be. Some respond well to extremely strict and can't stand "players coaches", some respond well to "players coaches" and can't stand the strict ones.

Vrabel's success will depend on his staff, like almost every coach in the NFL.

Texans defense was destroyed by injuries too, so I dunno exactly how much he's at fault for their downfall in performance, but Romeo Crennel was still very involved with the defense and it still occurred and we know Crennel is as good as it gets at DC, so not like it's entirely on Vrabel.

Everything I've read is he's a great leader, and if he hires a good offensive staff I'll be good with the hire. If he pulls a Pete Carroll with his staff I'll probably be wishing we didn't fire Mularkey.

I bashed the McVay hire last offseason for the rams so I won't say Vrabel will fail, but I'm skeptical.

Hopefully it works out but the titans already hired 2 terrible HCs that screwed over Mariota's development, I'm not too confident they'll get it right this time but if Vrabel can put together a functional defense and find a very good offense staff he should be fine.

The Texans are probably happy about this hire since Vrabel (along with injuries) were a big reason why the texans regressed on defense, how much of that Vrabel is up for debate but you don't go from no.1 to bottom 10 simply on injuries. 

I like Vrabel as a candidate but I'm not sure the Titans are a fit for him. It does likely mean the end there for LeBeau, which is probably a good thing for the team because his schemes are past their sell-by date. 

I'm most interested in whom he'll decide to take on as his OC. I'm hoping it's not someone from the Patriots staff.

If McDaniels to Indy becomes a reality, then three of the four teams of the AFC South next year will be coached by members of the Belichick coaching tree - two of Tom Brady's former offensive coordinators, and a guy to whom he threw 10 touchdown passes.

7 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I bashed the McVay hire last offseason for the rams so I won't say Vrabel will fail, but I'm skeptical.

Hopefully it works out but the titans already hired 2 terrible HCs that screwed over Mariota's development, I'm not too confident they'll get it right this time but if Vrabel can put together a functional defense and find a very good offense staff he should be fine.

The Texans are probably happy about this hire since Vrabel (along with injuries) were a big reason why the texans regressed on defense, how much of that Vrabel is up for debate but you don't go from no.1 to bottom 10 simply on injuries. 

Texans are happy because RAC is being the DC again.  Addition by subtraction.  If Vrabel hires Sean Ryan as OC im going to laugh hard. 

Archived