Super Bowl LII - Patriots vs Eagles - What year is it?

Deadpulse

44 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

Well, the front 7 needs to completely rebuilt. They generated ZERO pressure and didn't make a single crucial stop. 

I don't want to come across as rubbing this in, especially after a Super Bowl loss, but I do recall hearing a lot about how you guys would continue to roll no problem even after trading away guys like Jones and Collins. Replacing guys like that is so hard to do and ultimately losing pieces like that to your front 7 is what lost you this game imo (Hightower injury as well).

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't want to come across as rubbing this in, especially after a Super Bowl loss, but I do recall hearing a lot about how you guys would continue to roll no problem even after trading away guys like Jones and Collins. Replacing guys like that is so hard to do and ultimately losing pieces like that to your front 7 is what lost you this game imo (Hightower injury as well).

Collins was one of the worst linebackers in the league this year (at least if you believe PFF) and Jones wasn't the player in New England that he's been in Arizona (plus his contract would've made keeping him an impossibility). Trey Flowers is just as good as Jones anyway (albeit without the big sack numbers) so that was a lateral move. The real problem has been a complete lack of LB depth. 

Just now, Starless said:

Collins was one of the worst linebackers in the league this year (at least if you believe PFF) and Jones wasn't the player in New England that he's been in Arizona (plus his contract would've made keeping him an impossibility). Trey Flowers is just as good as Jones anyway (albeit without the big sack numbers) so that was a lateral move. The real problem has been a complete lack of LB depth. 

Spin it how you want it, but Collins was a big piece of your D. Going to a bad Browns team doesn't change that. Also what happened to that Roberts guy for you (the young LB with tons of potential taking over for one of the two). I like Van Noy a lot and you got him for an awesome deal.

12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Jones we couldn’t have afforded to keep regardless.  Hicks was lost in that mix with Easley still being on the team.  If we’d tossed Easley first I’m sure we woulda kept Hicks.  Or it was something along those lines.  think we were still talking about paying Collins too until that went sideways.  

Spin it how you want it, but Collins was a big piece of your D. Going to a bad Browns team doesn't change that. Also what happened to that Roberts guy for you (the young LB with tons of potential taking over for one of the two). I like Van Noy a lot and you got him for an awesome deal.

Roberts was dreadful this year. I think with Collins there are reasons beyond his performance that caused Belichick to trade him.

Just now, Starless said:

Roberts was dreadful this year. I think with Collins there are reasons beyond his performance that caused Belichick to trade him.

Because he disobeyed Belichick. That's quickest way to piss him off.

Just shaved my playoff beard.

1 minute ago, Starless said:

Thanks for the info. I still am very confused why Butler was sat all game. Can anyone offer any insight to this? I hear he has been poor this year but Foles was firing at will and you think using him a bit might be beneficial, no?

Its not about one trade.  We won a Super Bowl without Collins and almost won another.

Its about a fundamental lack of talent overall on the defense, due to injuries (Hightower, Jones, Rivers), regression (Butler), and retirements (Ninkovich) of key players hitting us all at once.  Bill will fix it.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Thanks for the info. I still am very confused why Butler was sat all game. Can anyone offer any insight to this? I hear he has been poor this year but Foles was firing at will and you think using him a bit might be beneficial, no?

I think Bill had a good reason to sit him tbh.  Not sure what that was, but I don't think he would've kept him out for something petty and let his defense give up 42 points.  Maybe because he missed some practice time.

Just now, The Third Rider said:

I heard he had flu like symptoms, may be they thought he was not physically fit to play?

Then they should have said something - covered for him some no?

Somebody at ESPN got a quote out of Butler: "They quit on me"

Odd happening at the SB.

"They gave up on me. F---. It is what it is," Butler told ESPN's Adam Schefter after the game. Butler, who played 97.8 percent of the defensive snaps in the regular season, had an illness earlier in the week but wasn't on the team's final injury report. Eric Rowe started in place of Butler on Sunday"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22323948/new-england-patriots-cb-eric-rowe-gets-start-malcolm-butler-super-bowl-lii

Archived