Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, byuvike88 said:

Yeah this isn't great. 

Skol Bros on twitter keeps saying it's not a big deal so hopefully it is just those 3 games. 

Neck injuries are usually dangerous, because they can involve the spinal cord.  Whatever it is, I think the doctors will be extremely careful.  I wouldn't count on him missing only 3 games. 

i think it will be a minimum of 6 to 8 games (unfortunately). 

33 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I'm guessing, again could be wrong, that it's muscular involvement in the neck more than spinal cord.

I don't think they'd IR him if it was a muscle strain. He'd be day-to-day, or week-to-week. They wouldn't IR him if there was a chance he could wake up next Tuesday with no pain and normal mobility.

Very worried this is orthopedic (vertebral) or neurological (spinal cord or radiculopathy). Radic would fit the timeline best -- give it a few weeks to settle down, no immediate surgery (which there would be if it was cord or long-term C-spine). 

I'll sacrifice any short-term drop-off in their record just to get healthy Danielle Hunter back no later than October, and his career isn't altered by this "tweak". He's on a HOF trajectory, I'll be furious if we don't get to see Danielle/Yannick healthy in their prime.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

^^

You're the doc! Hunter saying he's fine makes me hopeful this is just be extremely cautious with something relatively minor and not rushing him into anything in a shortened offseason.

They wouldn’t IR him if it’s that minor.

I was hoping it was soft tissue strain (hamstring, groin) or nagging joint problem (knee or hip). Neck problem is scary, especially if they know it’s bad enough that he’ll miss the rest of the month, but not bad enough (or fixable enough) that he’d already had surgery. 

8 hours ago, Krauser said:

Kearse mostly ended up playing slot/NCB. Iloka will just be a backup safety (instead of Meadors).

With the youth of our corners, I could definitely see some three safety nickel/dime sets if the Vikings feel they have three safeties they trust.

20 minutes ago, RpMc said:

With the youth of our corners, I could definitely see some three safety nickel/dime sets if the Vikings feel they have three safeties they trust.

Zimmer basically never plays dime. Last time I checked it was like 5 snaps a year, which I think is mostly Hail Marys. Bringing in a 3rd safety as a 6th DB means taking off one of Kendricks or Barr, who aren’t the problem, coveragewise.

Even when he played 3 safeties in nickel with Kearse/Sendejo last year, the 3rd safety was just playing the usual NCB role. As far as I know, Iloka never played that role with the Bengals, and he didn’t play it with the Vikings in his short 2018 stint. He’s not going to be an upgrade from Hughes or Gladney athletically. 

• Like 1