So what did you learn about Deshone Kizer this year? 3 good 3 bad

brownie man

Good

1. I learned the kid has some real character and guts and will survive the pros playing within the pocket 

2. I learned he can make every throw on the field on a pro level 

3. I learned he's very savvy and can be very effective running the ball

Bad. 

1. Learned that he right now its irresponsible in the red zone and should not be dependent on in the red zone. 

2. He isn't seasoned right now in the huddle making sure people are accountable lining up correctly, running the route correctly, and call him protections correctly 

3. Know his responsibilities on each play from a QB perspective in decision making 

Great topic.

1.  I learned that this young man has a great deal of moxie.  Good

2.  I learned that this young man has the skill set to compete in the NFL.  Good

3.  I learned that this young man seems to have a shot at competing for a starting spot very soon.  Good

1.  I learned that this young man was, in fact, too young and not yet ready to be a starting NFL QB.  Bad

2.  I learned that this young man, while he has a significantly better set of QB tools than Kessler and Hogan, probably should have not seen the field this year.  Bad

3.  I learned that this young  man, competed his a@@ off, but regardless of how hard he competed, his team was ill-equipped to win in 2017.  Bad

I do think that Kizer has an opportunity to be a quality starting QB in the NFL.  2017 was WAY too early for this young man to be on the field.  

2 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Great topic.

2.  I learned that this young man has the skill set to compete in the NFL.  Good

3.  I learned that this young man seems to have a shot at competing for a starting spot very soon.  Good

1.  I learned that this young man was, in fact, too young and not yet ready to be a starting NFL QB.  Bad

2.  I learned that this young man, while he has a significantly better set of QB tools than Kessler and Hogan, probably should have not seen the field this year.  Bad

3.  I learned that this young  man, competed his a@@ off, but regardless of how hard he competed, his team was ill-equipped to win in 2017.  Bad

I do think that Kizer has an opportunity to be a quality starting QB in the NFL.  2017 was WAY too early for this young man to be on the field.  

Really great post, I completely agree.

The kid did everything he could, kept his head up, said the right things, and showed some significant physical talent, but he’s just not ready for NFL defenses yet.

2 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Great topic.

I really like Kizer. He is competitive. He wants to be the leader of this team. He’s humble. He seems to display a lot of great qualities you like in a quarterback. It boils down to three things for me; his accuracy, his decision making, and his turnovers. Decision making may help with some of his interceptions, but his accuracy is something that I’m afraid can’t be fixed. 

I think if the Browns thought all he had suffered in 2017 was growing pains we wouldn’t be looking for our franchise quarterback, right?  We already have him and he has a season of experience to build on. We would be talking about the great draft we are going to have because we don’t have to find a QB, as we already have one. Unfortunately, I do not think that is the consensus. I don’t think there is one person in the building (other than Kizer) that believes he can be the QB of this team, long term. 

22 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

I really like Kizer. He is competitive. He wants to be the leader of this team. He’s humble. He seems to display a lot of great qualities you like in a quarterback. It boils down to three things for me; his accuracy, his decision making, and his turnovers. Decision making may help with some of his interceptions, but his accuracy is something that I’m afraid can’t be fixed. 

I think if the Browns thought all he had suffered in 2017 was growing pains we wouldn’t be looking for our franchise quarterback, right?  We already have him and he has a season of experience to build on. We would be talking about the great draft we are going to have because we don’t have to find a QB, as we already have one. Unfortunately, I do not think that is the consensus. I don’t think there is one person in the building (other than Kizer) that believes he can be the QB of this team, long term. 

I think based on what he showed in 2017, you can’t risk it either way, you HAVE to take a QB.

He didn’t show enough that you’re confident that he’s the guy, but I still see plenty of reasons to be optimistic about his future.

That said, getting the first pick in a QB rich draft is a rare thing. These QB’s are significantly better prospects than he was.  He’d likely be the 4th-6th best QB in this class had he returned to school at best.

I think us taking a QB has more to do with need meeting opportunity than it does about Kizer and his future prospects.

Good

1. He has a heck of an arm and throws a pretty ball 

2. He's mentally tough enough in handling the media, losing, etc

3. He has good mobility

Bad. 

1. His pocket presence is not great

2. He hobbles himself and the team with mental errors, especially in key situations (like red zone, or when under pressure)

3. His accuracy leaves much to be desired

3 hours ago, dawgdish said:

Bad. 

1. His pocket presence is not great

2. He hobbles himself and the team with mental errors, especially in key situations (like red zone, or when under pressure)

3. His accuracy leaves much to be desired

Good reasons to cut bait on Kizer.

15 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Really great post, I completely agree.

The kid did everything he could, kept his head up, said the right things, and showed some significant physical talent, but he’s just not ready for NFL defenses yet.

I’m afraid he’ll never be accurate enough but he def played hard til the end

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

1. He has the courage to be an NFL QB.

2. He has the character to be an NFL QB.

3. He is a good athlete.

1. Can't read a defense

2. looks on target like a predator missle

3. His accuracy has severely regressed 

Yeah this is exactly it. I would add his brain freezes at critical moments. 

15 hours ago, bruceb said:

Good reasons to cut bait on Kizer.

I think it might be a little premature for that - he can potentially be groomed to be a solid NFL backup. I definitely don't want to go into next season with him as our starter, though.

Good:

He withstands the beating better than recent QBs on the roster.
He is good at breaking up passes.
He has good physical attributes*

Bad:

Inconsistent accuracy*
Carelessness in pressure situations.
Slow learner as a QB, repeats the same mistakes.

* We already knew this but he confirmed it throughout the season.

22 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

I think it might be a little premature for that - he can potentially be groomed to be a solid NFL backup. I definitely don't want to go into next season with him as our starter, though.

Maybe, but I would pick Darnold at 1, Lauletta in the 3rd, sign McCarron and cut bait on Kizer, Hogan and Kessler.

Now that would be a QB room.

Good

1- good attitude

2- Looks like he can make all the throws

3- good mobility

bad

1- was not remotely ready to be an NFL QB

2- Not ready to be an NFL QB

3- Did I mention he wasnt ready and should not have been playing in NFL games yet?

I believe most all of Kizer's downfalls are correctable.  Is he able to correct them??  Who knows, but with good coaching, experience, and better skill players around him I think he has a pretty high ceiling. Who knows if his dumb mistakes were mostly on him and can't be corrected, or were just simply because we have terrible coaching and he wasn't ready to play to begin with. 

What I feel has already been said.

Also, this...

5 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

It doesn't feel good, and it doesn't look good right now, but with these things you really have to just wait and see how things evolve beyond the rookie year.

Tons more examples, but here's a few of precedence.

In 9 games, Alex Smith was 50.9% // 875 yards passing // 103 yards rushing // 1 (one) TD Passing // 0 TDs rushing; // 11 INTs // 11 Fumbles // TO/TD - 22/1 - Ratio 22:1

With Calvin Johnson, in just 10 games Matthew Stafford was 53.3% // 2,267 yards // 108 yards rushing // 13 TDs Passing // 2 TDs rushing; // 21 INTs // 4 Fumbles // TO/TD - 25/15 - Ratio 1.67:1

With NOT Calvin Johnson, in 15 games Deshone Kizer was 53.6% // 2,894 yards passing // 419 yards rushing // 11 TDs Passing // 5 TDs rushing // 22 INTs // 9 Fumbles // TO/TD - 32/16 - Ratio 2:1

In 11 games, John Elway was 47.5% // 1,663 yards passing // 146 yards rushing // 7 TDs Passing // 1 TDs rushing; // 14 INTs // 12 Fumbles // TO/TD - 26/8 - Ratio 3.25: 1

--------------------------------------------------

"A Look At Matthew Stafford’s Rookie Season And The Importance Of Not Giving Up On Rookie Quarterbacks"

http://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/lucas-walker/2017/12/30/look-matthew-staffords-rookie-season-importance-not-giving-rookie-quarterbacks/

Archived