Chargers Offseason thread

DingoLadd

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

His madden rating and the insistence that the Chargers desperately need linebackers. I had him graded out as the #5 ranked player from his draft class, but it appears that he's underwhelmed thus far from someone that hasn't seen many SD games. I guess I just thought he'd be a MONSTERRRRR

Gotcha.

I think he would have gotten more recognition if he would have stayed healthy last year.  He is a monster in run defense - far, far better than Hayes Pullard or any of his other injury replacements.  But, he's struggled in coverage, which leads to him getting pulled on obvious passing downs.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

His madden rating and the insistence that the Chargers desperately need linebackers. I had him graded out as the #5 ranked player from his draft class, but it appears that he's underwhelmed thus far from someone that hasn't seen many SD games. I guess I just thought he'd be a MONSTERRRRR

Staying on the field (health) has been his biggest issue.  If you compare the games where he was missing for injury last season to the ones when he came back the state of the run-defense is legitimately night and day.  That speaks volumes to his ability to be a major factor in this defense.  Really the "need for linebackers" is more because Kyle Emanuel has probably maxed out as good-but-never-great and Jatavis Brown kind of fell off a cliff last year... and Hayes Pullard and Nick Dzubnar are... well... Hayes Pullard and Nick Dzubnar.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Given you're flair, i'm sure you did....lol.  But he's very good, but has been injured pretty consistently and it's hard to trust a guy who doesn't stay on the field for very long.  But otherwise, he's been fine, and we're looking for OLB's on either side of him, as well as depth at ILB, since Pullard was AWFUL behind him.

On 3/22/2018 at 8:07 PM, The LBC said:

Curious as to why you're less high on Noteboom.  Is it a tape thing?  He has technical stuff he needs to clean up, but the tools are there.  There's a lot of similarity to Tevi last year to be honest - you want to see more power but that's going to come as he gets into a pro-level S&C program and gets coached up on his hand-placement and striking (I see a lot of cases where the concerns that people have about his inability to really get push as a move-blocker is because he's not landing a proper first punch or when he does, it's hitting too wide).

That said, Toledo's Elijah Nkansah is likely to not get drafted at all or at very least will still be around in the 5th, 6th, or 7th round and has the kind of athleticism (along with better arm length and knowledge of how to use that length) of a lot of the guys that are probably going to go higher.  I'd recommend checking him out.  I went back and did another look after the 4.5s short-shuttle he put up at his pro day - at 6'5", 315 with 34" arms.  Had he gotten a combine invite, he'd have been a Top 10 performer among linemen in 2 of the the more relevant workouts and just outside the Top 15 in another. 

I didn't really like the little I saw from him from '16 (the only thing I could watch up until now), but I just went back and watched a '17 cutup vs SMU and he looked a lot better than I remember him. I've watched a pretty limited amount of him, but he looks like a very interesting developmental piece.

Nkansah from the short little bit I was able to find from him (from a Woodside cutup), I wasn't really impressed.  Quickness and explosiveness is there, but he's REAL stiff, and it really shows up in his pass set and his complete inability to sink his hips on contact.  He's got some athleticism, but guy really needs some work...probably a full 2-3 years of it on a PS before he's ready to even make a back end of the roster type guy.

21 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

His play has been fine. The problem has been injuries and he works better as the WLB where he can flow to the ball and attack and not deal with the linemen on the inside.  

I feel like this is gonna be a trade up year.  I think if Washington at 13 is serious about Guice they might be willing to move back to 17.  If say James, Smith, or Vea (or whoever Telesco covets) is still there at 13 I could see that deal getting done rather easily.  What did we give for Gordon? A fourth and a fifth?  For a team that may be on the cusp of contention, that's a reasonable price to pay to get a difference maker.  

I don’t dislike Barksdale, he’s no Clary or Olivea. He isn’t fantastic. Just average to maybe slightly below average. You could find better but I feel it’s one of the spots you can definitely take a late round project type boom or bust player. 

First round pick can go any direction with DT being the most obvious. Wouldn’t surprise me if a top level LB is available we go that direction too. I feel better about this team this year then I have in a few years. The stench of Norv is finally out of my nose. CB is always a possibility in round 1. 

To be honest I’m more interested in that second round pick. Penny could wreck it in our offense. He offers the speed and hands that Gordon does but also comes with maximum power. He does need to improve his pass blocking to be a true 3 down back but would give us options with Gordon going forward. 

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

I don’t dislike Barksdale, he’s no Clary or Olivea. He isn’t fantastic. Just average to maybe slightly below average. You could find better but I feel it’s one of the spots you can definitely take a late round project type boom or bust player. 

First round pick can go any direction with DT being the most obvious. Wouldn’t surprise me if a top level LB is available we go that direction too. I feel better about this team this year then I have in a few years. The stench of Norv is finally out of my nose. CB is always a possibility in round 1. 

To be honest I’m more interested in that second round pick. Penny could wreck it in our offense. He offers the speed and hands that Gordon does but also comes with maximum power. He does need to improve his pass blocking to be a true 3 down back but would give us options with Gordon going forward. 

I'm not sure what another late round boom or bust type player gives us that we don't already have with Tevi, who's already flashed decent play in the 1 game he started at LT.

I'd be surprised if this 1st round pick wasn't one of Vea, Payne (as much as I don't like this), Evans or Roquan (see Payne's note).  Those guys fit the mold of a TT pick (biggest concern of the team. NT screams 2nd round pick to me.  I think Mebane wasn't very good, but he also should absolutely not have been playing for 51% of our defensive snaps last year. We need to find someone who can rotate with him, and phase him out after next year.  Mebane IMO, is still good if he can limit his snaps closer to 25/30 % of our plays, giving up the other ~25% to a rookie (my favorite is still Settle, even though he's somewhat boom or bust).  So that leads me to believe that LB is the pick at 17, and I think Evans is their guy just because of how perfect a fit he is for the Sam LB spot in Bradley's D (and with the versatility to potentially play both Mike and Will).  I don't really think Smith is very good, and plays super soft, which is the opposite of what Bradley wants.

Honestly every time I think about this, I just can't see us not taking Evans haha.

I'm not really thrilled about the style of QB they seem to be going towards. Cardale Jones... Geno Smith... I hate the "mobile QB" trend. That does make me believe that if Lamar Jackson is available at 17, that is the pick like it or not.

Here's the electrifying announcement:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000924193/article/los-angeles-chargers-signing-geno-smith-to-1year-deal

Geno Smith, the Expected One, is now a Charger!

Grounded Jet To Rev Up Chargers

Former Bust And Busted Jaw Signs With LAC

Somewhere in Cyber Space, the poster Dinklage is smiling! He who maintained a lonely vigil carrying the banner for Geno Smith, touting that "dual-threat" QB to the High Heavens during his time in New York; he who wept bitter tears when the Giants let Geno walk (and it takes a Big Man to cry!)- has now seen his Faith, and Hope, - and, yes, yes, I'm going to say it!- his Love validated, and justified!

Geno Smith has come to roost- as far from New York as was possible, unless there ever comes to pass an NFL team in London.

God speed, Geno Smith- and know ye that there is one whose Faith in you still burns bright, o'er the Pacific sky!

Image result for Peter Dinklage

Image result for geno smith
590 × 392Images may be subject to copyright

3 days ago

I don't believe Geno was ever touted as a "dual-threat" QB? At least I don't ever remember him running that much at West Virginia or in the pros.  Personally, I think he's a good option for backup QB.  It's not like we're gonna get Aaron Rodgers to sit on the bench.  There's not 32 solid starting QB's in the league, so it stands to reason, your backup QB is gonna have some warts

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I don't believe Geno was ever touted as a "dual-threat" QB? At least I don't ever remember him running that much at West Virginia or in the pros.  Personally, I think he's a good option for backup QB.  It's not like we're gonna get Aaron Rodgers to sit on the bench.  There's not 32 solid starting QB's in the league, so it stands to reason, your backup QB is gonna have some warts

Geno Smith, the dual threat quarterback, meeting with Seahawks

https://12thmanrising.com/2018/03/29/geno-smith-meeting-seahawks/

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Per ESPN article
"In Smith, the Chargers bring in a player who Lynn is familiar with and who fits his desire to have a mobile quarterback who can threaten the defense with his legs."

Idk, I've never been a fan of Smith. I'm not expecting Rodgers caliber as a backup, unless it means someone who is drafted and sits behind Rivers for 2 years then takes over to dominate... like A.Rodgers. I get the fact that Lynn is familiar with both Jones and Smith (from coaching with the Bills and Jets) but I just don't see either being worth being on the roster. Neither has much of an upside, nor would I be overly comfortable with them having to actually play meaningful snaps in the regular season. Jones was pretty rough in preseason last year even though people were hoping he would come in and easily take over the #2 spot. Lets be honest here, the fact that he couldn't beat out Kellen Clemens as the main clipboard holder has to say something. 

Archived